A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 S8 questions regarding brakes and something else

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by PharmD29
Okay after taking a little more time I definitely am going to upgrade both sets of rotors now that I am at 55k miles. I really want either slotted or drilled but having a tough time finding front rotors like this though I know they are available. Any help here?

I upgraded rear pads to EBC Red stuff and will be doing same on front pads.
adamsrotor.com they are stock dimpled and slotted. $$$$$
Old 09-15-2018, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BTAudi
adamsrotor.com they are stock dimpled and slotted. $$$$$
Damn is that the only place? What about the best value smooth rotors?

Thanks again for the responses everyone!
Old 09-15-2018, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Okay after taking a little more time I definitely am going to upgrade both sets of rotors now that I am at 55k miles. I really want either slotted or drilled but having a tough time finding front rotors like this though I know they are available. Any help here?

I upgraded rear pads to EBC Red stuff and will be doing same on front pads.
Front rotors are probably patented, hence the problem finding them. Has an alloy hat with the outer ring, so it is a weight saver like true two piece types. Technically it is a good solution. Someone could do a generic cast iron single piece form compatible rotor I guess, but that is adding extra unsprung weight to what are already serious boat anchors. Supplier stays under radar screen, or probably contractually is obligated to. Audi and BMW control the relevant rights to use from my prior poking at it. Thus, the machined ones are basically Audi stock blanks with a pretty big $$$ mark up--relative to what they cost now in stock form from discounted dealer. You might check with Brakeworld too. One of the areas where the old fashioned device (a phone...) may be better than web inquiries to get some informal and candid info. When I called them on D3 years ago now, they confirmed to me they were milling dealer/factory rotors for those applications.

Net, cheapest practical source will be a discounted/on line dealer. Brakeworld might be cheaper than adams rotors, and as noted I think both probably start with stock so their are yet more mark ups. If stock, try to find a dealer currently doing free shipping, since rotors are $$ to ship. audiusaparts was, but seems to have dropped it again in recent weeks. Comes up as a promotion with them from time to time though, and others may be doing it now/still.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-15-2018 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:48 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In Europe you can now (since maybe 6-9 mth's) get Zimmerman rotors which seem identical to OE. I got a set and it works fine however not sure there is money to be saved on getting these, mine were around $240 each.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2) I have encountered a very strange noise that will be somewhat hard to explain but I will try. When reversing out of a parking space and then cutting the wheel all the way I sometimes get a fairly loud noise that sounds almost like I ran over an aluminum can or ran over a chunk of snow or something, it is somewhat of a thump but can easily be heard. Sometimes passengers will ask what I just ran over. It doesn't always do it but probably 33-50% of the time. When I go over speed bumps the front suspension almost sounds like old coil suspension with a sort of squeal but usually only when I hit a speed bump somewhat fast. The rear sounds normal. Any idea as to what could be wrong to cause this?[/QUOTE]

I had the same "clunk" over speed bumps as well, took it to the dealer, they swapped out all the sway bar bushings before they figured it out that both struts were shot, that was at 40k miles. Took then awhile to fiugre it out
Old 09-19-2018, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, so I got a quote for the following on brakes but I need to know if it is a good deal and also whether I need a couple of these line items. My dad works out Audi so of course the rotors are a good price but wasn't aware I needed the other items, thoughts?:

Brk Lining: $207.35 x 1
Wire: $48.84 x 2
Springs: $62.70 x 2
Front rotors: $236 x 2
Rear rotors: $168 x 2
Old 09-19-2018, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Hey guys, so I got a quote for the following on brakes but I need to know if it is a good deal and also whether I need a couple of these line items. My dad works out Audi so of course the rotors are a good price but wasn't aware I needed the other items, thoughts?:

Brk Lining: $207.35 x 1
Wire: $48.84 x 2
Springs: $62.70 x 2
Front rotors: $236 x 2
Rear rotors: $168 x 2
A few decent guesses along the way to decipher:
  • brake lining--that means pads, but likely that is just one set included, probably fronts. You need rears too if getting rear rotors.
  • wire--likely that means the wear sensors. I don't recall on D4 if both sides have them; lesser Audis are only on one side. On D4 they are front and rear. If brake wear light is on, definitely one needs changing. Sometimes folks can reuse non-worn through ones. Other times they break on removal. Audi ones are way pricy compared to aftermarket, like 6-10x. Also covered in a prior reply of mine below.
  • springs--probably a pad retainer spring in front, but I dont recall D4 set up is like this. Other Brembos use pins to hold pads in, and the spring then retains those pins. You need to look at a parts diagram for that level of detail. Most indies, and I, would probably just reuse this type of pad related metal hardware unless really trashed and old. Rears usually have an antirattle related set of stainless clips too, which likewise are usually just cleaned and reused.
  • rotors--obvious.
Also may be needed or good practice:
  • Front pad damper washer set--they go on each piston of front calipers--12 total sold as a set. Pricy, at $200 range. Some reuse by peeling carefully off old pads and then applying to new ones. Dealer replaces.
  • Audi says replace all main caliper bolts that hold them to the hub area, which I normally do these days. Many indies probably don't. Not particularly expensive, especially compared to something like those damper washers.
  • Little torx screws that hold each rotor to hub during assembly. Less than $1 each.Qty. 4 total. Commonly freeze up or strip on older ones and then end up drilled out, so good idea to replace after some years during a rotor change.
Find the D4 S8 caliper diagram on a Euro Audi ETKA parts site to confirm specifics.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-19-2018 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I just had the rear brakes done on my 2015 A8 (NWB) 4.0T. Dealer had noted at last service that rear pads were nearly worn to the sensor and gave me a quote for $1200 for rear pads, rotors and sensors. I took it to a local indy shop who did the same for about $650. Only (minor) issue was determining rotor size - the search by VIN yielded 3 different options, and the local Audi parts wholesaler wasn't sure either when the shop called to order the parts. I called the dealer parts desk and was told that 356mm was the right size, which turned out to be correct.