A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 A8 Air Suspension Replacement Help.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 2014 A8 Air Suspension Replacement Help.

How do I replace the air suspension for this vehicle?

I'm planning to put the AirLift suspension in.

But what are the parts/components do I need?

Kinda new.

Thanks!

Upgrading my audio system and the weight is gonna sag the vehicle.

So I want a system that will ride at stock ride height (maybe a inch higher) throughout whichever load you throw at it. Ie. Extra passengers in the vehicle/plus the sound system (which adds to around 300lbs).

So with all passengers in the vehicle and the sound system, I want the ride to remain OEM height or a inch higher.

PS: The vehicle has adaptive air suspension. So the installation of a aftermarket air suspension would be easier?

Let me know.

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2017, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't think many around here recommend replacing the factory suspension that way. The ride height can be adjusted on it with a Rosstech cable very cheaply. Moving away from the factory setup would cost you in day to day ride and handling due to the dynamic nature of it, so make the decision with care. The added weight from the sound system will not result in vehicle sag with the factory suspension, not even close.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
I don't think many around here recommend replacing the factory suspension that way. The ride height can be adjusted on it with a Rosstech cable very cheaply. Moving away from the factory setup would cost you in day to day ride and handling due to the dynamic nature of it, so make the decision with care. The added weight from the sound system will not result in vehicle sag with the factory suspension, not even close.

Can you tell me more about this "Rosstech cable"?
Old 04-22-2017, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

It's a cable that connects into the OBD port on your car and your computer. You can use it to make a number of alterations to the car, including ride height, as well as use it for diagnostics. There are a couple other options, but the Rosstech is the most complete. They have the software on their site, as well as the availability to order the cable. They've cut the price almost in half in the past year.

Ross-tech HEX-V2

Instructions on how to do the lowering(or raising) of ride height can be found on this site, and most of the other available modifications can be found by following the link in my signature.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jack88
It's a cable that connects into the OBD port on your car and your computer. You can use it to make a number of alterations to the car, including ride height, as well as use it for diagnostics. There are a couple other options, but the Rosstech is the most complete. They have the software on their site, as well as the availability to order the cable. They've cut the price almost in half in the past year.

Ross-tech HEX-V2

Instructions on how to do the lowering(or raising) of ride height can be found on this site, and most of the other available modifications can be found by following the link in my signature.
Okay cool!

I'll have a look now.

Thank you, man.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also @Jack88

Do you know the max amount of height I can gain in millimeters?

So if the factory ride height (for argument sake) is 385mm, can I enter 335 instead to gain a inch or 2? Will it allow me to go so far?

Also, should I do the calibration when everything is installed and people in the car?

Or just me and the sound system is good enough?

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a height sensor at each wheel. Even if you put 300lbs in the trunk the suspension will still maintain the preset height. The suspension is air not magnetic.

Last edited by LexusLSguy; 04-22-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
There is a height sensor at each wheel. Even if you put 300lbs in the trunk the suspension will still maintain the preset height. The suspension is air not magnetic.
I know.

But what if I would like the stock ride height to be 1 inch higher (In comfort mode).

That's what I would like.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, you can raise the suspension with VCDS but I don't think you can disable car from lowering itself on the highway. But this may be a non issue for you. I would think 2 inches would be the max.
Old 04-22-2017, 02:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
Yes, you can raise the suspension with VCDS but I don't think you can disable car from lowering itself on the highway. But this may be a non issue for you. I would think 2 inches would be the max.
Nah, I'm not worried about highway speeds.

I'm more concerned with the city driving and bad roads here.

Like, really bad roads, some may have had land slides so lots of dirt and going through deep roads, that when exiting, you may or many not rub the underneath of your car.

I don't mind it lowering on the highway, though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 A8 Air Suspension Replacement Help.