A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 A8 Head Up Display?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2015 A8 Head Up Display?

I see comments in the info about the new A8 that mention the addition of the HUD, but there are no details. I have also read some of the A7 comments that it really isn't all that great (but I am very interested in it for my new A8 anyway).

My specific questions are:

-Did Audi just put the A7's HUD into the A8 or did they make it better? (if so, how?)

-If the vehicle has "Night Vision Assistant" will that pop up in the HUD and does it have to be activated or is it in an "always on" type of state?

I have seen quite a few videos that include all kinds of images of the interior of the new A8 (posted here on this forum) but none show the HUD.

Last edited by navin in KC; 08-25-2013 at 03:58 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

I found this on the German site, in partial answer to my own question:
Attached Images  
Old 09-16-2013, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

I've read where you can't see the display if you're wearing polarized sunglasses, so for me daytime utility is "zero."

BTW, looks like the same intrusive/ugly instrument panel display mount we've seen on other Audi models. Not a fan.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't know. I drove an S6 with HUD and I liked it a lot. I wish my A8L had one.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think I'd rather just get sunglasses that aren't polarized and have the HUD, myself.

Also: I don't really care what that part of the dash looks like if it gives me a HUD.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
I've read where you can't see the display if you're wearing polarized sunglasses, so for me daytime utility is "zero."
My Drivewear sunglasses are polarized and, while it dims the HUD a little, it's still perfectly legible under most conditions.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default +1

Originally Posted by derfA8L

BTW, looks like the same intrusive/ugly instrument panel display mount we've seen on other Audi models. Not a fan.
Agreed - I finally was able to get polarized sunglasses with bifocals so this would be a no go.
The upside is I'm allowed to go to the grocery store by myself now that I can see what I'm buying.

In the South the long days of low angle sunlight would likely make it impossible to see anyway.

It's more of a gimmick than anything useful in my opinion, especially if it doesn't show upcoming road bends like the European version.
And just wait until they put Facebook and other distractions on it....
Old 09-17-2013, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
My Drivewear sunglasses are polarized and, while it dims the HUD a little, it's still perfectly legible under most conditions.
Ahhh, wasn't aware of those sunglasses. I'm due for new lenses, so I'll check them out (hopefully LensCrafters carries them). Thanks.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's an acquired taste I guess.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
My polarized Oakley's only dim the screen as well. If the HUD is on maximum brightness it is still more than visible. It is the same way for my wife's HUD in her M5 so just something to do with the technology. She keeps a pair of none polarized glasses in her car just so that there is no interference.

As far as the usefulness, those that can train themselves to look at the HUD rather than the gauge clusters will find it to be one of the most useful options in the car. It gives you more time of your eyes on the road and at the same time make you more aware of your speed.

Quick Reply: 2015 A8 Head Up Display?