A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 A8/S8 Sequential Turnsignals

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts
Default 2015 A8/S8 Sequential Turnsignals

Saw this in MOTOR AUTHORITY this morning...Very cool, but if current U.S. regs aren't changed, this and the matrix headlamps may not come to our shores. Last line in the following article take-away gives some hope for us though:

Audi will be introducing facelifted versions of its A8 and S8 sedans next month at the 2013 Frankfurt Auto Show, and in the lead up to their arrival the brand with the four rings has been dropping details about some of the new technology that will feature on the cars. Audi has already confirmed that the new A8 range will feature Matrix LED headlight technology, which allows a car’s high beam to be left permanently on without blinding other drivers.

Now, Audi has revealed a new sequential turn signal where individual LEDs illuminate in a defined sequence in the direction that the driver wishes to take. This is said to make it easier for others to perceive the driver’s intentions, even under difficult conditions. Audi says the new turn signal can be clearly and quickly perceived, even at long distances and in poor visibility.

The turn signal features 18 individual LEDs arranged in a strip that is subdivided into seven blocks. For the turn signal in each of the tail lights, there are 24 LEDs in eight segments. During flashing, the blocks are sequentially activated at 20 millisecond intervals, from the inside outwards in the desired turning direction. After 150 milliseconds, all segments are bright; for another 250 milliseconds they illuminate with full intensity. Afterwards, the turn signals go dark before repeating the lighting sequence.

Unfortunately for readers here in the U.S., the new turn signal is unlikely to be fitted to locally delivered cars due to current regulations. Those regulations also mean we miss out on the new Matrix LED technology as well. A number of automakers, including Audi, are petitioning the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to have the regulations changed, however.
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2013, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Doesn't the new Mustang have sequential turn signals in the rear? Strange that that would be allowed and Audi's version won't.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Doesn't the new Mustang have sequential turn signals in the rear? Strange that that would be allowed and Audi's version won't.
Think it has more to do with the matrix headlamps. No assurances at this point that Audi will incorporate the sequential feature into the non-matrix replacement units.

That's my take on this.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Very cool, thanks for posting it.

I wonder how long it'll take Hyundai and BMW to copy...
Old 08-15-2013, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Think it has more to do with the matrix headlamps. No assurances at this point that Audi will incorporate the sequential feature into the non-matrix replacement units.

That's my take on this.
That is what I was thinking also, has nothing to do with the turn signal and everything to do with the headlights.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Mustangs, Cougars and T -birds all had that feature in rear turn signals in the mid-60 s and it was revived it a few yrs ago for nostalgic/ retro reasons in the only model that still exists, the Stang. I can remember owners demonstrating these early " high-tech electronics " repeatedly to amazed bystanders in parking lots. It was the middle of the Space Age era, where every few months an even more amazing outer space spectacle was shown live on TV.
Here's an example:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4bUNpuHmVr4&feature=fvwrel

Last edited by Inclined; 08-17-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L

That's my take on this.
Not sure I understand the matrix headlight issue. My wife's 2013 GL 550 has "adaptive high beam assist" which allows you to keep the high beams on all the time. It is a bit irritating as sometimes you may need high beams in certain situations and they are not available.

Is this the same principle as the matrix? The GL lights are the Bi-Xenon active curve headlights.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dbbogey
Not sure I understand the matrix headlight issue. My wife's 2013 GL 550 has "adaptive high beam assist" which allows you to keep the high beams on all the time.
The question then becomes if you can turn them off. This is the issue with the new Audi headlights, there is no way to turn them off.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if I can turn off - I have not gone through all of the menus as she doesn't like me to futz around with her setting. It took me a while to figure out what was going on when we first got the vehicle. If you mean can I turn the headlamps off - yes I can do that. Not sure about the adaptive part of it. That would seem to be an easy fix for Audi. In reality this is perfect for her as she would never dim lights manually.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by dbbogey
Not sure I understand the matrix headlight issue. My wife's 2013 GL 550 has "adaptive high beam assist" which allows you to keep the high beams on all the time. It is a bit irritating as sometimes you may need high beams in certain situations and they are not available.

Is this the same principle as the matrix? The GL lights are the Bi-Xenon active curve headlights.
The Merc has a system that uses a sensor to automatically turn off the high beams (when they are turned on) when another car approaches. The 2014 A8 now also has that option in the Driver Assist package called High Beam Assist. With your wife's Merc she can still manually set the high beams to be on or off. Audi's Matrix headlamps have no manual switching capability with the high beams on continuously (when headlights are turned on), so that's where they run afoul of U.S. Dept. of Transportation regs which require a driver to have the ability to manually switch off the high beams. Audi and other manufacturers are now petitioning to have that regulation changed.

Quick Reply: 2015 A8/S8 Sequential Turnsignals