AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/)
-   -   2015 A8 TDI, to CPO or not to CPO (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/2015-a8-tdi-cpo-not-cpo-2966696/)

CULA8R 02-04-2019 01:15 PM

2015 A8 TDI, to CPO or not to CPO

Hi, I'm new to the forum and appreciate your patience. My father recently traded in a 2015 A8L TDI and need some guidance. The car has 21,000 miles on it and is currently covered by Audi Care, but is outside of the factory warranty. The dealership is offering to run it through the CPO process and resell it to me at "cost" $2395 (plus any repairs, at cost) or no certification process and put a CNA National extended warranty on it for 2 years/30k miles, or something like that. I don't know the cost of that program yet. I'm getting the car for WELL below market value, so buying it makes sense, outright with no warranty, CPO or with a 3rd party extended warranty. What I'm wondering is what would those of you with long term ownership experience with these cars would advise.

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

Twglasgow 02-04-2019 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by CULA8R (Post 25271470)
Hi, I'm new to the forum and appreciate your patience. My father recently traded in a 2015 A8L TDI and need some guidance. The car has 21,000 miles on it and is currently covered by Audi Care, but is outside of the factory warranty. The dealership is offering to run it through the CPO process and resell it to me at "cost" $2395 (plus any repairs, at cost) or no certification process and put a CNA National extended warranty on it for 2 years/30k miles, or something like that. I don't know the cost of that program yet. I'm getting the car for WELL below market value, so buying it makes sense, outright with no warranty, CPO or with a 3rd party extended warranty. What I'm wondering is what would those of you with long term ownership experience with these cars would advise.

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

I thought TDIs were ineligible for CPO. Also I didn’t think you could CPO a car outside warranty.

Who got the money for the diesel fix? That could be like $10K.

Twglasgow 02-04-2019 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Twglasgow (Post 25271567)

I thought TDIs were ineligible for CPO. Also I didn’t think you could CPO a car outside warranty.

Who got the money for the diesel fix? That could be like $10K.

one correction the car can be outside warranty, if under 5 years or 60,000 miles.

i would do the CPO. The equivalent cost is likely $4,500 or more for inferior coverage.

do you have the extended power train warranty that comes with the diesel fix?

dwboston 02-04-2019 05:46 PM

If you like the car then do it. CPO warranty is way better than any third-party warranty you could get.

CULA8R 02-04-2019 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Twglasgow (Post 25271571)

one correction the car can be outside warranty, if under 5 years or 60,000 miles.

i would do the CPO. The equivalent cost is likely $4,500 or more for inferior coverage.

do you have the extended power train warranty that comes with the diesel fix?

Thanks, everyone. This is what I need to hear. They are saying it can still be certified. I think Audi got the bulk of the settlement for the diesel fix because it was leased for the first three years and then he purchased it off lease. They only got like $2k in settlement money, plus the extended powertrain coverage that everyone got. I'm leaning towards the CPO route, because I do intend to keep it for awhile and I know that everything would be repaired while it was going through the process (the rear window shade is currently inopearable), plus I have the balance of the Audi Care that's left and the tires have about 300 miles on them. If anyone feels differently, please chime in, but this is making more sense to me know. Thank you for the replies.

Twglasgow 02-04-2019 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by CULA8R (Post 25271591)
Thanks, everyone. This is what I need to hear. They are saying it can still be certified. I think Audi got the bulk of the settlement for the diesel fix because it was leased for the first three years and then he purchased it off lease. They only got like $2k in settlement money, plus the extended powertrain coverage that everyone got. I'm leaning towards the CPO route, because I do intend to keep it for awhile and I know that everything would be repaired while it was going through the process (the rear window shade is currently inopearable), plus I have the balance of the Audi Care that's left and the tires have about 300 miles on them. If anyone feels differently, please chime in, but this is making more sense to me know. Thank you for the replies.

the price would be the only factor left to evaluate. Use car gurus to look at other prices, I find pricing services, NADA, etc., to be unreliable.

JonathanR 06-03-2019 09:10 AM

Don't buy it without CPO

Do not even think about buying it without CPO

aeggroup 06-03-2019 10:37 AM

21000 miles - it is almost new car. and should not require a lot of repairs to bring it to CPO. On the other hand - how much your CNA extended coverage will cost you ? Is it platinum warranty ? Does it cover bumper to bumper ?
I'm in the process of buying CNA coverage for my TDI, which will be out of factory warranty in September the price i currently have is about $2700 for 3 years / 36K mile.
So if you CPO your car - your price will be probably at least about $3K and you will have the coverage for maximum 1 more year. Now how much is your CNA warranty time you'll be covered and price ? Just compare it...it is your money, you decide.

TinyElviss 06-04-2019 01:17 PM

CPO will only add an additional year to the original warranty in-service date. If it is nearing the 4 years since original purchase, your CPO will in effect only be for one year. If this is the case I'd look for an extended warranty that kicks in once the original warranty has expired.

MP4.2+6.0 06-05-2019 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by TinyElviss (Post 25326023)
CPO will only add an additional year to the original warranty in-service date. If it is nearing the 4 years since original purchase, your CPO will in effect only be for one year. If this is the case I'd look for an extended warranty that kicks in once the original warranty has expired.

Unfortunatey agreed. CPO got really devalued when Audi moved the covered period in from 6 years to 5 years to save money for its TDI fraud. My last two have been CPO, but it was (is) with the 6 year coverage that made a lot more sense. Only time CPO makes sense to me now is perhaps where dealer CPO's one that otherwise is already out of 4/50 warranty. Then you get peace of mind you can get things fixed you find post purchase and/or are covered by TSB's.

If you want a warranty post 4/50 and especially if you are not really a DIY'er as cars get older, I would look at the exclusionary warranties at the top end--usually called platinum or something similar. Closest approximation to CPO but can get more rational years of coverage still.