A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Audi A8L: To Buy or Not to Buy

Old 08-08-2018, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2015 Audi A8L: To Buy or Not to Buy

Hello Audi World!Newbie here. I’m considering purchasing a 2015 Audi A8L, TDI/Quattro. It’ll be my first Audi and luxury car. Pretty ambitious, I know. Test drove this car and it gave me life! Driven VW Passats and Jettas only. It's under 40K miles and CPO. Manufacturer warranty just ran out so 1yr extended will kick in. My questions are borne pretty much out of apprehension for luxury cars and an Audi A8 at that. General feedback I’ve seen is either hot or cold for Audis. Rarely anything in-between.
- For current and previous owners, what has been your experience with these cars, maintenance and all?
- What kind of issues should I anticipate as an owner?
- Any specific questions you’d recommend I ask about the car and it’s history that may have been left off Carfax?
- Is it worth it to purchase extended warranty?

Thank you!

Old 08-08-2018, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 576 Likes on 482 Posts

Welcome. Read back a few pages on board first to do some homework and effectively answer a lot of your questions; a representative sample and you will get flavor of owners' views and experiences on many common questions. Any single shot answers today will be today's random poll of a few owners. Report back with questions from that.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Update: The car sold in the 24hrs I needed to think about it. Now it's all I want.

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2018, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Onwa!
Update: The car sold in the 24hrs I needed to think about it. Now it's all I want.

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks!
Like you were previously advised, do the research on the forum...there are a number of threads whereby people have stated what to look for and what you need to be aware of with our vehicles. However, there are 2 pieces of advice I'd give you right away:
  1. Make sure you get a thorough PPI (pre-purchase inspection) by someone familiar with Audi vehicles.
  2. Remember that the MSRP on the vehicle is not what you are paying for it used, so parts will cost you closer to what the original MSRP was. So put $$ aside for things that will invariably fail or just go sideways.
Good luck with the next D4 you find
Old 08-12-2018, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

Hello Audi World!Newbie here. I’m considering purchasing a 2015 Audi A8L, TDI/Quattro. It’ll be my first Audi and luxury car. Pretty ambitious, I know. Test drove this car and it gave me life! Driven VW Passats and Jettas only. It's under 40K miles and CPO. Manufacturer warranty just ran out so 1yr extended will kick in. My questions are borne pretty much out of apprehension for luxury cars and an Audi A8 at that. General feedback I’ve seen is either hot or cold for Audis. Rarely anything in-between.
- For current and previous owners, what has been your experience with these cars, maintenance and all?
- Any specific questions you’d recommend I ask about the car and it’s history that may have been left off Carfax?

Thank you!
In May I picked up a 2014 A8L TDI with 34K mi on it. I have driven it about 3000 miles. It replaced my 2007 A8 4.2.

I have to say that I really like the car and you won't be disappointed. The TDI had not beed fixed yet so I got to drive it pre-emissions fix and of course after the fix to feel the difference. After the fix there was some reduction in performance but still a good performer. I decided to turn up the power and installed a Malone Stage 2 tune and it really woke the car up. Folks will be quick to point out the warranty risks but I am fine with the risk.

Note: Unknowingly I purchased a TDI that had not had the emissions fix performed by the previous owner and the owner never filed his claim. So I bought, took it in to dealer to ask about the emissions fix and I went to the claims website to get a claim number. I ended up receiving the fix from the dealer and an 11,200.00 settlement from the class action suit. There may still be a few of these cars out there if you buy private party.

2015 Audi A8L: To Buy or Not to Buy-hufo203.jpg

Last edited by 1stGOAT; 08-13-2018 at 06:37 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default money

Thank you!

What were they asking for the car that got away ?
Old 09-11-2018, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I just bought my first Audi back in January of this year, a 2015 A8L TDI/Quattro with 49k (Non-CPO since it was at an MB dealer). I absolutely recommend getting an extended (exclusionary) warranty. Also, not all Audi dealers sell the same warranty. Some sell the name-branded Audi warranty (which is still 3rd party provided), while others sell non-Audi branded warranties. I have already had my first repair (fortunately under warranty) when the front passenger vent near the door stopped blowing air. Turns out there is a little motor that controls opening and closing a door inside the vent. It failed. This turned out to be a $1,000 repair (or just the deductible in my case). There is a lot of tech in Audis. Correction, there is a lot of expensive tech in Audis. Regardless, the A8L is the absolute best car I have ever owned (previously I was a 2007 Volvo S80 V8 Turbo AWD owner). Also, never had a diesel before, but the fuel economy is ridiculously good. Overall for me, not cheap but definitely worth it. Hope you find another one you like.