A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 purchase but first I have questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2015 purchase but first I have questions

Hello all,

I am new to the forum however have been looking at Audis for over a year. I have settled on the 2015 A8 L 4.0T not ruling out the TDI. My budget won’t allow newer and I like the headlight redesign. Love the $8 but enough said. I have read several pages deep in this forum and tried gleaning owner knowledge on that model.

My questions are:

1. How prevalent is the loss of turbo oil supply due to screen clogging and is there any warning?
2. Is the downpipe vibration in all, most or just some of the cars?
3. Has anyone simply caulked the windshield to trim interface for the seemingly common leak?
4. Is replacing the engine mounts that common? Assuming normal driving at what mileage? Should one avoid tunes on these cars that increase the loading on the mounts?
5. As a buyer at what mileage would you go “eh” I’ll keep looking. Is this car a long distance runner or more half marathon? What type of mileage are you TDI guys getting?
6. Do all season tires perform well? I see a lot of cars with summer performance tires.

I know it’s many questions some already touched on in the forum.

Tomorrow I go to look at an 2015 that according to the description and dealership has all of the options. Beyond the above my concern is it has 65k miles and that it’s being sold by a non Audi dealership. An Audi salesman states that year should be between 40 and 55k miles and he would never buy one of these cars with over 75,000 miles. Why? Kinda sounds like he doesn’t have higher mileage cars and wants to push what he has.

A nearby shop that repairs Audi’s among other cars has agreed to a PIP. The dealership also agrees a PIP as part of any purchase stating they will repair any minor problem. Promises, promises. Obviously anything major and I can walk away.

Thanks in advance, Apologies for the repetition.

Afinepoint
Old 12-16-2018, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

So I can't answer all your questions, as I don't have the 4.0, but I can answer a couple. These cars are a marathon car for sure, superbly comfortable and they eat up the miles effortlessly. I complete a 1,750 mile trip to drive my vehicle home, in one go, only stopping for fuel and a couple of meals; once I made it home, the first thing I told my wife and kids to do was get in the car so we could go for a spin. I didn't feel at all beat up, nor tired of being inside it (it told me about 25 hours to drive home). Comfort really is top notch in these.

As to the fuel question, I own a TDI and am averaging around 32 MPG, that is with a mix of stop/go commute traffic and open freeway. I got around the same mileage on the journey mentioned above, that was with an average speed for the trip of 77MPH. Very economical if you ask me, and to be honest the TDI is no slouch at all, but I guess that would depend on what you're actually looking for and how you plan on driving it (the 4.0 is supposed to be a BEAST!)

As to the amount of miles, the quality of care and verifiable records would have a preference over mile to me, especially if under 100,000 (don't forget the TDI's have an extended warranty on the emissions and other engine components, once and if the "fix" has been completed.

As to the windshield leak. Mine was one that suffered this fate, and as far as I can see, without pulling the whole windshield, re-sealing and reinstalling, there is no real way to combat the leak. Mine started out just this way, until they broke the windshield trying to get it out...

These cars like to be well maintained and in a timely manner, as do most German cars. Don't let any issues you find persist for prolong periods, and realize that the maintenance and repair costs are going to be more than your run of the mill Ford or Toyota, but the driving experience and attention to detail cannot be best in my opinion.

Of hope this at least partially helps with some of i our questions ☺
Old 12-16-2018, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have a 2014 4.0T that had 69K when I bought it and now has 77K. The only issue I had was having to replace a motor mount (although I don't think it actually needed to be changed but I have a warranty). I also had the down pipe vibration (very noticeable) and my dealer replaced it as a good faith repair, so again no cost to me. Fortunately, I have not had the windshield issue. I absolutely LOVE driving it and the 4.0T is indeed a beast. It gains speed so effortlessly and quietly.

Most of these are going to be lease returns meaning routine maintenance and care. I had two A7s (2012 and 2016) before the A8 and don't ever see myself going back.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I meant PPI vice PIP. Sheesh, don’t type tired.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by afinepoint
An Audi salesman states that year should be between 40 and 55k miles and he would never buy one of these cars with over 75,000 miles.
If I would've been working for Audi NA corporate office and knew the name of this salesmen - He'd be fired the next day.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had an '15 S and it was fabulous to drive. The ride was great, the performance was outstanding, But, having said all that I traded it at about 45,000 miles, there were just too many indications I wasn't comfortable with. My favorite example is it took 2 years and over 10 visits to the dealer before all issues associated with a punctured gas tank were repaired. First, to replace the gas tank all the rear suspension, and drive components must first be removed, including portions of the frame. This was an $8,000 job and the dealership had to perform it twice before they could get everything back to normal. From the start the MMI was a little flaky, sometimes requiring a stop on the next exit ramp to stop and restart the car.

This doesn't answer many of your specific questions, but it led me to be uncomfortable with keeping it for any length of time. The car you are looking at has high mileage IMO, and without a good warranty I would be worried. I didn't have mine long enough to start worrying about the turbos, and I didn't experience the windshield leak or the other widely reported problems. Buying from a non-Audi dealer tells me someone else decided they weren't happy with the model and likely the brand and moved on. During the combined two months mine was in the shop I was given various Audi's as loaners and one exhibited transmission problems with only 5,000 miles on the clock.

Having said all that my daughter bought a Audi Certified A5 and it has been problem free.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

First off thank you all for your responses.

Saw the car. Didn’t drive it since I have driven one and know I will like the ride. Mechanically there was no need since the car will be given a going over by a third party including a road test should Inproceed. The car was a commercial lease. Seems service was done per Carfax report.

None of my concerns in the original post above have been addressed or repaired per the salesman. At least he was honest there. Also the car does not have all the options. No B & O sound. The car’s options are Premium and Driver assistance packages, 20” wheels, panoramic sun roof, cold weather, nougat brown and silver metallic and front filter panel.

$2000 non refundable deposit to allow car to be inspected. If there are issues they can’t or won’t fix the deposit is returned otherwise I’ve bought a car or forfeited the deposit.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by afinepoint
First off thank you all for your responses.

Saw the car. Didn’t drive it since I have driven one and know I will like the ride. Mechanically there was no need since the car will be given a going over by a third party including a road test should Inproceed. The car was a commercial lease. Seems service was done per Carfax report.

None of my concerns in the original post above have been addressed or repaired per the salesman. At least he was honest there. Also the car does not have all the options. No B & O sound. The car’s options are Premium and Driver assistance packages, 20” wheels, panoramic sun roof, cold weather, nougat brown and silver metallic and front filter panel.

$2000 non refundable deposit to allow car to be inspected. If there are issues they can’t or won’t fix the deposit is returned otherwise I’ve bought a car or forfeited the deposit.

Wait for another car. That deposit requirement is ridiculous. Try to find a CPO car from an Audi dealer.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:05 AM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

Welcome to the Forum.... from your most recent post it appears you may be a permanent member.

I bought a CPO '15 4.0 NWB (normal wheel base, not an L model) in May of 2018, $49k with 18k miles on it with Drivers Assistance, Premium and Sport Diff/steering. In 8 months I've tacked on 14k miles, each one a dream. I experienced the downtubes vibration and had to prove to the dealer what the problem was before they agreed to cover it.... Audi has stiffened up their warranty claims to the point where you need to be nearly as knowledgeable as the dealer to get a job covered. This forum is the best resource I have found. But I suspect your car may be out of dealer warranty?

Several thoughts:
1] The car is a thoroughbred. As such, it will require more care and maintenance than the average workhorse. Given the smile you will not be able to wipe off your face, it will be worth the extra attention.
2] Many Forums tend to attract disgruntled customers who need a place to air their grievances, so the actual ratio of happy owners to unsatisfied owners is probably significantly higher than it may seem. For every car that has had to have the downtubes replaced, how many are running fine?
3] There are several mechanically-inclined members on this forum who unselfishly respond to technical questions and have posted a myriad of answers... you may have to dig but chances are you will find what you need. This is an invaluable resource when you need to have service performed. For the record... I am NOT one of them!!
4] You mentioned the Summer tire swap...where do you live? Here in Western PA where the average temp is below 38° for 4 months a year, using a tread compound designed for the colder pavement and snow/slush just makes sense in a car with this much hp and torque. I did splurge and purchase a dedicated set of rims & tires for winter driving to help keep my 20" double 5-spoke wheels as pristine as the day I brought them home.
5] Lastly I would not hesitate to buy a TDI model. The "fix" gives added warranty coverage and, if you do a lot of highway driving, you'll get mileage as good as many 4 cylinder turbos.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yeah, I agree dw. I have no plans on them holding $2k. Porsche only asked for $500 to hold a 911 for me.

Quick Reply: 2015 purchase but first I have questions