AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/)
-   -   2015 S8 MPG (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/2015-s8-mpg-2953719/)

Trust93 07-19-2018 04:00 PM

Also I don’t the start/stop feature. Engine is running full time when stopped. That feature would definitely help!

superswiss 07-19-2018 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Trust93 (Post 25182597)
It shows I have 360 miles left. After my last fill up I’ve gone through a few drive thrus and stood in traffic a little bit. I lost 1 bar on the gas gauge at 18.5 miles.

Don’t think this indicates anything yet. I’m keeping an eye on it an waiting to see how many miles I can get out of this tank driving normally.

After you mentioned the brakes I do remember hearing my brakes make that rubbing sound when I’m not braking. I never had that on my other cars. Is this normal with Audi’s? Brakes squeak and I don’t know how old they are. Shouldn’t I get a notification when they’r worn out?

Well that looks like a pretty normal range. I'm guessing it was closer to 400 right after the fill. Miles to empty is based on how you drove for the past 50 miles or so. The S8 has about a 20 gal tank. For real world comparison, my 16 gal tank in my RS5 and normal daily driving gets me about 240 miles and 310/320 on a long distance road trip. If I extrapolate that to a 20 gal tank it would be 300 miles and around 390 miles. So you have about the same average fuel economy as I do in my RS5 or actually quite a bit better if you get close to 400 on a tank with daily driving, which is about what I would expect in the real world and grandma style driving.

Originally Posted by Trust93 (Post 25182598)
Also I don’t the start/stop feature. Engine is running full time when stopped. That feature would definitely help!

Negligible. It helps the manufacturers due to the test cycles more than it does consumers. An idling engine burns very little fuel. The savings are minimal unless you are really sitting a lot and I mean a lot it stopped traffic.

EDIT: Regarding the brakes. Brake pads are always slightly touching the rotors. That's normal and that can lead to potentially a slight squeal at slow speeds.

Trust93 07-22-2018 12:25 PM

Hey guys a quick update. I had my tires checked out and turns out they were wayyyy under inflated. One tire was at 22psi.

I got them all pumped up to where they should be and my mpg is at 17 average so far and that’s including me flooring it here and there. With my previous calculations I was getting 10mpg avg and fixing the tire pressure increased by mpg by 7!!

It was hard to notice my tires being under inflated since they are low profile. They looked fine at a distance until I sat down to check her out up close

superswiss 07-22-2018 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Trust93 (Post 25183868)
Hey guys a quick update. I had my tires checked out and turns out they were wayyyy under inflated. One tire was at 22psi.

I got them all pumped up to where they should be and my mpg is at 17 average so far and that’s including me flooring it here and there. With my previous calculations I was getting 10mpg avg and fixing the tire pressure increased by mpg by 7!!

It was hard to notice my tires being under inflated since they are low profile. They looked fine at a distance until I sat down to check her out up close

That'll do it. Surprised you didn't get a TPMS warning. May wanna make sure it's properly reset now and check your tire pressure at least once a month moving forward.

Trust93 07-23-2018 04:51 AM

Yea that was really weird. I only got tpms warning after I inflated them to the correct psi

nictven 07-23-2018 11:59 AM

If you have the VCDS, enable the Efficiency Mode (or I call it Environmental-friendly mode) when you want to max MPG, or share your car with your significant other for grocery trips.

PharmD29 09-15-2018 06:47 AM

I only get 16-17 city driving but I do get closer to 23-24 on highway when I am able to cruise. No idea how anyone is getting higher than 17 in city unless you are driving like a grandma ;)

Killship 09-16-2018 11:47 AM

In my Stage 3 S6, I'd get 14.9 MPG on a full tank - mix of highway and local.

This current tank in my S8 with 60% highway, I'm at 17.9 with APR Stage 1 and I floor it every now and then.

ACC helps A LOT to maximize efficiency and COD. When your fuel consumption bar turns green, you're running on 4 cylinders - substantially increases MPG.

I get about 22MPG cruising on the highway at 85 - so not bad at all. Its the stop and go traffic in South Florida that kills me.

Trust93 09-16-2018 07:08 PM

How many miles are you guys able to get out of a full tank on average?

I noticed that my trip/fuel computer shows 18-20 average mpg but the actual mpg comes out to 15-16 after I count my gallons to miles ratio. That’s without flooring it at all and driving like a granny. I called a local dealer and the service advisor looked up my specific VIN and told me I’m supposed to be getting 17 city / 27 highway

dgbaudiphile 09-17-2018 02:22 AM

My average over 55,000 miles (per the trip computer) is 18.0 mpg. My commute (stop and go with a few stretches of highway) averages right around 17 mpg. I've never seen 27.0 - I find that to be impossible for an average. My best trip, when driving around 60 mph on northern MI two-lane roads for 3 hours, was 23-24 mpg and that's when I was using cruise control and "trying" to get the best mpg possible.

Sorry that I couldn't answer your question but hopefully that provides some color - I don't track miles per tank but will start paying attention to see if I have a large variance.