A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 A8L , rear defroster lines too reflective

Old 11-11-2018, 08:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2017 A8L , rear defroster lines too reflective

I just bout this car with 7,000 miles and had a first service (10,000 miles) at the dealer. At that time I haven’t noticed that when driving at night, the headlamps of the car behind produce a vertical band (above and below the headlamp) of really shiny lines all the way to the top and to the bottom of the rear windshield. That is very bothersome to me; my 2010 A8 (which by the way I have for a sale, see the market place) didn’t have any such reflections.

is that normal for all D4 A8 cars?!

thank you,
rod
Old 11-11-2018, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by rodrad
I just bout this car with 7,000 miles and had a first service (10,000 miles) at the dealer. At that time I haven’t noticed that when driving at night, the headlamps of the car behind produce a vertical band (above and below the headlamp) of really shiny lines all the way to the top and to the bottom of the rear windshield. That is very bothersome to me; my 2010 A8 (which by the way I have for a sale, see the market place) didn’t have any such reflections.

is that normal for all D4 A8 cars?!

thank you,
rod
Are your windows--including rear--aftermarket tinted? An educated guess...
Old 11-13-2018, 02:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No, the car has original windows (as far as I know).
Old 11-13-2018, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No, the car has original windows (as far as I know).

Look at the edges of the window and rear glass where they transition from transparent to black/opaque on the inside of the glass near the frames, roof and C pillars. At the transition point are some little black dots on the inside of the glass--how they help fade that hard black visual line. If you see what seem tiny air bubbles right around some of those dots, there is window tint. Tint can be as light as 90% (10% darkening), which in ceramic still blocks a bunch of heat. Bigger picture, I have avoided tint on the back glass because of these kinds of visibility issues at night with the defroster and antenna wire lines. Sort of aggravating when you look in back window with traffic behind you and you see those lines diffracting glare. Having seen the effect on my D3, I consciously had only side windows (and sunroof panel) tinted on mine. And thus, I don't have any obvious rear glare diffracting around those factory defroster and antenna lines with my D4 S8.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-13-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for info. Yes, I see bunch of small dots around edges of the rear windshield, just as you described. There may be some, very few tiny air bubbles near them. I assume it means that a window tint was applied (I assume by the dealer - I am second owner).

BTW, how did you know that rear windshield tinting would make a destructing reflection glare of the headlights behind?

So, my question is can that tint be safely removed?!

thank you,
rod
Old 11-13-2018, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for info. Yes, I see bunch of small dots around edges of the rear windshield, just as you described. There may be some, very few tiny air bubbles near them. I assume it means that a window tint was applied (I assume by the dealer - I am second owner).

BTW, how did you know that rear windshield tinting would make a destructing reflection glare of the headlights behind?

So, my question is can that tint be safely removed?!

thank you,
rod
I know from my D3 where I had it tinted and then first saw the lines. Similar result on a Mini S and then our Q5 with rear tint, though on both of those since glass is less angled than a D4 or D3 you don't notice it as much. I used the same tint shop and same tint brands and types on them. Why as a conscious choice I avoided the rear glass on the more recent D4 S8 when I had it done, and instead tinted the sunroof glass to approximate the same heat load reduction.

Another board member commented similarly BTW when I mentioned this issue in recent years. Maybe Derf?

You have to be careful removing rear tint because of you break those lines (like w/ a razor blade) it destroys the antenna or defroster functions. Best to have a pro do the rear glass with the steam type equipment.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-13-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you very much. It is bummer that Audi dealer performed that tinting (on the other hand it was done by first owner - by a professional).

I will definitevely look for a pro to remove the tint from the rear windshield. Is there any chance that on white car, the car comes with such tint out of factory?!
Old 11-13-2018, 11:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thank you very much. It is bummer that Audi dealer performed that tinting (on the other hand it was done by first owner - by a professional).

I will definitevely look for a pro to remove the tint from the rear windshield. Is there any chance that on white car, the car comes with such tint out of factory?!
Not in the way you are thinking. Audi glass is tinted by 30% from the factory IIRC--the max allowed by regulation--but that is a permanent coating or other process done during glass manufacturing, not a tint film. If you see the little air bubbles or look around those face dots I mentioned, that pretty much says there is an aftermarket tint on that piece of glass. A tint shop of course can look at it and confirm.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you, I will definitevely check if it is original tinting. In one hand I really doubt that Audi would do tinting with side effects of too much reflective defrosting lines. On the other hand, the car has a black roof and dark (tinted?) two sunroofs as well as the side windows and front windshield. That really looks sharp....but I can hardly stand the glare (although I drive rarely overnight��).

thank you again
Old 11-14-2018, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a very light tint applied to the rear window. As a results, the rear window does creates a vertical glare just as described by the OP.

Easy way to visually check if there is a tint applied is to look around the third brake light. The cut out for the brake light tends to be manually done, so you should be able to see some rough edges to the tint material, if there is one applied.