A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 A8 To Be Unveiled in July

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cleex024
It's obvious the porsche panamera will be better drivers car...I've test driven a few of the current models now and felt good and even considered the rs7. The panamera is hands down the better drivers car, but since you like such drivers car why dont you get the 911 turbo? You see my point? It's pointless to say you are a drivers car kind of man and getting a damn 4500 lb 4 door hatchback.
I have a 2017 911 C4S, a 2017 Camaro ZL1, and a Challenger Hellcat, so given that context, the whole point is I prefer my winter car and both kids to daycare car to be a closer approximation of the dynamics those cars present, rather than shifting towards an autonomous Tesla or wood rimmed Merc. You see my point? As a "driver's car man", I have different wants clearly than you, so indeed perhaps I am a Panamera Turbo Executive customer, and you are a D5 A8 customer, only time will tell as one of those is vaporware at the moment.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammerli
I have a 2017 911 C4S, a 2017 Camaro ZL1, and a Challenger Hellcat, so given that context, the whole point is I prefer my winter car and both kids to daycare car to be a closer approximation of the dynamics those cars present, rather than shifting towards an autonomous Tesla or wood rimmed Merc. You see my point? As a "driver's car man", I have different wants clearly than you, so indeed perhaps I am a Panamera Turbo Executive customer, and you are a D5 A8 customer, only time will tell as one of those is vaporware at the moment.
funny how you say perhaps you are the panamera turbo executive customer and im the d4 a8 customer as i drive the s8 plus and you drive the a8l lol...but whatever the case might be the panamera executive is going to drive only slightly better than an s8 plus if it indeed drives better. remember these are very large cars especially when you are considering the executive over the swb panamera.

also this whole debate started because you say maybe you should change to the panamera because of all this autonomous driving bullcrap however i think you should go back and start doing some research on porsche...they too are coming out with more autonomous driving options. so in both cars you can either get drivers assistance packages or not so if you dont like it dont get it.

and what is the reason you picked the a8l over the panamera turbo executive this time around since you love "driving" your cars? the a8l is more of a riding car than my s8...figured you would have bought that instead if you dont feel like you need all the space and ride comfort of the a8l.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts
Default V6 related pointers for D5...

AW sent out a link to the RS5 intro this morning. The new Audi RS 5 Coupé - AudiWorld

Putting aside the RS5 model specifics, a good pointer for the high state of tune they are achieving with the new 2.9L twin turbo V6. Some version above baseline probably has a role with D5. Flat torque curve (presumably ECU controlled) even down at 1900RPM makes it luxobarge ready too. I suppose could be no more V8's for C7 line (S6/S7) below RS if you connect some dots for that matter. Notice even in RS5 it's a ZF8 rather than any automated manual flavor.

No more SC for V6. As expected, the marketing hype goes on about the new engine design--but with obvious similarities to the 4.0T like the reverse heads w/ exhaust and turbos up in center V area. I suppose it could even find an application in R8 once demand for new model settles some. I think they have been in a bit of a quandary on R8 with 4.0T now essentially factory tuned to what even the tweaked NA V10 could produce.
Attached Thumbnails 2018 A8 To Be Unveiled in July-screen-shot-2017-03-29-9.49.05-am.png  

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-29-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I think it's best if Hammer and Cleex agree to disagree and let it lie. Now, for the V6, I think that's interesting. Am I doing my conversions right, 440lbft of torque? That'd be quite a lot and more than enough to motivate even the Q7 as a base motor.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cleex024
also this whole debate started because you say maybe you should change to the panamera because of all this autonomous driving bullcrap however i think you should go back and start doing some research on porsche...
Now it is I who will lol, as if you know me. I've bought 4 Porsches in the last 12 months, I do not need to do much research other than walking into the garages. Why did I get an A8L over an S8? Availability, not much else. Having orher alternatives to choose from I thought the "sport" 4.0T would be sufficient. The things that bother me are present on the S8 as well, but I don't need one car to do it all, find that boring, but in the end this has simply become arguing for the sake of arguing when we'll never agree, so this thread can get back to the original topic instead of pedantic bickering.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok so getting back on topic i do not like the way audi is going with the new style...i really do enjoy the big grille...but i do love all the new technology with autonomous driving. I understand some people dont like it since they only drive short distances, but anyone that drives somewhat long distances it truly is wonderful. not having to put 100% focus on driving 100% of the time really does help with fatigue on those drives.

i know that the d5 is going to have some kind lvl3 autonomous driving around the city, but doesnt the new a5 have that? also they do need to put in an option to turn off the acc as some times you dont want it or it doesnt work like in heavy rainfall but still want to turn on cc.

either way i said the same thing about the new bmw 3 series was so ugly that the m3 and m4 couldnt possibly look better than the current one...however with some face upgrades (blackout everything, bigger scoops, bigger mouth, etc) it really does look nice...so we will see how it turns out.