A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.0t Double Oil Amount!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,158 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiBoston34
Well, I finally found an engine and it will be on its way in 2 weeks. CEUA engine and turbos w/55K miles. Company was asking $13,200 - I got for $10,200. Plan is most likely my turbos are good, so which ever pair seem to be in best condition I will keep, rebuild cores if necessary, and keep on the shelf if they were to fail again in the future, or put up for sale to defray this overall cost. I will see if I can also sell the long block - but not sure if any value with 4 bent rods and most likely deep cylinder damage. Mechanic is estimating +-55 hours - $4,700 -$5,000k for labor

Now question is - with this project and engine out, and my plan to amortize this cost over as many years of use as possible - what else should I look at/replace while here? Does anybody have part number of new style turbo/filter screen and the check valve? Anything else I should replace while at turbos? Oil Separator/PCV? I already have to add a new starter, and we are going to do whatever we can to hopefully clean and save CATs and O2s...I am assuming downpipe issue hadn't reared it's head with 69K on motor - so probably good....What else should I look at or head off.

Thanks as always for thoughts and ideas! BTW - While at indy's garage - told me a story of (2) separate Porsches being ruined at local Jiffy Lube the past 2 weeks by tech removing drain plug (of transmission - not engine), thinking oil was out of engine, double up the engine oil and had nothing in the electrostatic tranny. Blew both engine and tranny - of 2 cars - upon startup w/no dipsticks to check.....$72K damage on one...
PCV is a break fix type of deal. But if you have the whole engine out I would do it considering it is a turbo out labor bill and it would give me peace of mind.

Damn, very unfortunate on those Porsches. I would have to bet that tech is not working at Jiffy Lube any more. That's what commercial insurance is for though...
Old 04-01-2019, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,158 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiBoston34
Well, I finally found an engine and it will be on its way in 2 weeks. CEUA engine and turbos w/55K miles. Company was asking $13,200 - I got for $10,200. Plan is most likely my turbos are good, so which ever pair seem to be in best condition I will keep, rebuild cores if necessary, and keep on the shelf if they were to fail again in the future, or put up for sale to defray this overall cost. I will see if I can also sell the long block - but not sure if any value with 4 bent rods and most likely deep cylinder damage. Mechanic is estimating +-55 hours - $4,700 -$5,000k for labor

Now question is - with this project and engine out, and my plan to amortize this cost over as many years of use as possible - what else should I look at/replace while here? Does anybody have part number of new style turbo/filter screen and the check valve? Anything else I should replace while at turbos? Oil Separator/PCV? I already have to add a new starter, and we are going to do whatever we can to hopefully clean and save CATs and O2s...I am assuming downpipe issue hadn't reared it's head with 69K on motor - so probably good....What else should I look at or head off.

Thanks as always for thoughts and ideas! BTW - While at indy's garage - told me a story of (2) separate Porsches being ruined at local Jiffy Lube the past 2 weeks by tech removing drain plug (of transmission - not engine), thinking oil was out of engine, double up the engine oil and had nothing in the electrostatic tranny. Blew both engine and tranny - of 2 cars - upon startup w/no dipsticks to check.....$72K damage on one...
Have you gotten the engine yet? Any update?
Old 04-01-2019, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have, but only about 2 weeks ago - as the seller found a crack in the outer and inner oil pan. He then offered to cancel the sale if I wanted, or increase the warranty to 1 year from 6 months and replace inner and outer oil pans with OEM b4 shipping. So, that's what we did - since I had no other alternative at this point. Engine and car are being prepped should be done by April 17th. I'll update once installed and initial start up
Old 04-01-2019, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Everything looked really good with engine and turbos upon visual inspection by my mechanic - and we're replacing check valve and screens for turbos prior to install
Old 04-01-2019, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I was thinking about your story the other day. My turbos failed a month or so ago, and I didn't drive the car too much after getting it back as we were away for 8 days for vacation. It occurred to me that I hadn't looked at the oil level in the MMI, so when I checked it last week I was surprised to see a message there to "reduce engine oil". There were no warnings in the instrument cluster, the only place that message existed was in the oil level screen. The car was running fine, but out of an abundance of caution I dropped by my normal dealer on Saturday afternoon as I just happened to be driving by, and the service manager took it in, had the tech drain some oil out, and the message went away. I guess the other dealer overfilled the oil a bit post-turbo replacement. I just need this car to last another 5-6 weeks with no issues.

Glad to hear that the replacement engine will soon be installed.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It’s criminal that they stopped including dipsticks. They Jiffy Lube/no oil added stories are legendary and that’s going back to when every car had one. I can only imagine that’ll ratchet up even more as already posted. For now, at least they are at least installing the tube so adding the stick is easy enough.

Everyone who does any wrenching has had the pit in the stomach feeling at some point. It’s the absolute low and 100x worse when you know it’s your fault vs. just a bad break. Glad to hear you’re making real progress.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by A8CT
It’s criminal that they stopped including dipsticks.
Agree. Having said this, you can buy yourself a dipstick.
This is what I have done to avoid this kind of nasty situation.
Part is 06E115611H (for the 3.0, will check for the 4.0)
P&P

They will always find a way to cut costs even of such expensive cars lol
Old 04-02-2019, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Dipstick

Oh yeah, ordered that even before I picked up the car. [
I got the billet one from ECS and will post that part # for the 3.0.

QUOTE=laurent0613;25297640]Agree. Having said this, you can buy yourself a dipstick.
This is what I have done to avoid this kind of nasty situation.
Part is 06E115611H (for the 3.0, will check for the 4.0)
P&P

They will always find a way to cut costs even of such expensive cars lol[/QUOTE]
Old 04-02-2019, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

My 4.0T dipstick mod thread is here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...4-0ts-2897711/
The following users liked this post:
mikesvwservice (07-15-2023)
Old 04-02-2019, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
My 4.0T dipstick mod thread is here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...4-0ts-2897711/
yep excellent

Quick Reply: 4.0t Double Oil Amount!!