A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: 4.0TT Have your turbos blown yet?
2013 - NO
19.23%
2013 - YES
13.56%
2014 - NO
11.13%
2014 - YES
6.07%
2015 - NO
13.77%
2015 - YES
5.67%
2016 - NO
14.17%
2016 - YES
3.04%
2017 - NO
11.34%
2017 - YES
2.02%
Voters: 494. You may not vote on this poll

4.0TT Turbo Failure Thread - S6 S7 RS7 A8 S8

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

I think I'm going to have to recalibrate my ownership timeframe. I bought my S8+ with the expectation that I would own it for ten years, but I'm now thinking maybe seven is a better number (I live in a CARB state). But even an extended warranty doesn't eradicate the lack of a "limp home" ability if a turbo goes.

Least anyone think "dude buys a 600 hp car, and now he's jumping off the bandwagon", I was never on the bandwagon. I have previously posted that if I had been paying attention to Audi's plans, I would have ordered a SWB version with the 4.2 NA engine and the Audi Exclusive interior.

I'll say this about the 4.0 engine; it's power and smoothness is unbelievable. But to get there, some risks are introduced. To quote Murphy's Law, "if it can go wrong, it will go wrong". Turbos in a "hot vee" configuration operate in a hostile environment where longevity has to be a concern. Throw in COD
and Start/stop systems, and there is more mechanical stuff that can fail. But these cars are getting heavier, and there are CAFE standards to be met, so you have to,do what you have to do.

Im a frequent oil change guy, so I'll pay particular attention to the correlation of maintenance and turbo longevity, and hope for the best. Mike
The following users liked this post:
09S5 (08-19-2021)
Old 03-12-2019, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike911A8
I think I'm going to have to recalibrate my ownership timeframe. I bought my S8+ with the expectation that I would own it for ten years, but I'm now thinking maybe seven is a better number (I live in a CARB state). But even an extended warranty doesn't eradicate the lack of a "limp home" ability if a turbo goes.

Least anyone think "dude buys a 600 hp car, and now he's jumping off the bandwagon", I was never on the bandwagon. I have previously posted that if I had been paying attention to Audi's plans, I would have ordered a SWB version with the 4.2 NA engine and the Audi Exclusive interior.

I'll say this about the 4.0 engine; it's power and smoothness is unbelievable. But to get there, some risks are introduced. To quote Murphy's Law, "if it can go wrong, it will go wrong". Turbos in a "hot vee" configuration operate in a hostile environment where longevity has to be a concern. Throw in COD
and Start/stop systems, and there is more mechanical stuff that can fail. But these cars are getting heavier, and there are CAFE standards to be met, so you have to,do what you have to do.

Im a frequent oil change guy, so I'll pay particular attention to the correlation of maintenance and turbo longevity, and hope for the best. Mike
I didn't even consider the start/stop system in the turbo failure equation. Mine is always off - I wonder what effect (if any) start/stop has on the turbo failure issue?
Old 03-12-2019, 07:14 AM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dwboston
I didn't even consider the start/stop system in the turbo failure equation. Mine is always off - I wonder what effect (if any) start/stop has on the turbo failure issue?
Wow... mine is always off, too and I hoped that would be a boost to longevity. Yeesh.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Sorry, l didn’t mean to connect S/S to the turbo issue. Nor COD. The jist of my comments was that it requires more elaborate , mechanically complex, approaches to achieve gas mileage targets, and we owners can expect to pay for repairs.

The S8 doesn’t even have S/S, I’m pleased to say. Mike
Old 03-12-2019, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you post the information on that?

Old 03-12-2019, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by spdemon91
Here's the TSB...
So what I'm getting out of this is if i replace the oil screen, check value, and oil separator. I shouldn't have any problems with the Turbo's failing? or just replace the turbos it's self for $2-$3K?
Old 03-13-2019, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,168 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by LpMoss714-4
So what I'm getting out of this is if i replace the oil screen, check value, and oil separator. I shouldn't have any problems with the Turbo's failing? or just replace the turbos it's self for $2-$3K?
If you are in there you should replace screen & check valve no questions asked.
A good number of folks have done that and checked for shaft play and had little / none. They are running with new oil parts and so far so good.
A few folks have replaced those faulty parts under TSB and have had turbo failure shortly after, due to the damage already being done. It's kind of a gamble.

If your car is lower mileage and little / no shaft play I would cough up the $2K in labor / parts to do the screen and valve. And hope for the best.
If your car is higher mileage, or you see shaft play... I would go in and do the above and think about replacing turbos. This also has to do with how long you plan to keep the car.

I don't want to tell folks to give up on the platform, nor do I recommend playing Russian roulette with a $10K + repair bill...
Fortunately I have another toy in the stable and honestly my tuned A5 Cabriolet is tons of fun 30 weeks out of the year minus sitting in hot summer bumper to bumper traffic. So I traded in for a Q7...

There are options with 3rd party extended warranties, longer than factory warranties that cover emissions systems (you blow turbo and car is undriveable due to drivetrain - engine would be covered unless dealer pushes back enormously), and other routes. Some have said screw it and go in and then go to bigger turbos with a respective tune... The biggest issue with this known problem is it has literally no warning signs...
Old 03-13-2019, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,168 Likes on 912 Posts

Hope my post above helps explain.
And no, just replacing the turbos is not the answer. It's parts in the turbo oil feed design that are ultimately faulty...
Old 03-13-2019, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My 2013 S6 has 99,963 miles on it and just had the 100,000-mile service done. I've been calling 3rd party warranties to get a quote but since I live in CA, there's not a lot of companies that will provide and after reading the forms. I'm kinda getting scared. I'm just trying to find a solution to this. Also with all these blown Turbos, I'm surprised Audi still hasn't called for a major recall. I honestly would rather replace the Oil Screen with the new design, Check value, and Oil Separator and upgrade the turbos for 2-3k.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

My 2013 S6 has 99,963 miles on it and just had the 100,000-mile service done. I've been calling 3rd party warranties to get a quote but since I live in CA, there's not a lot of companies that will provide and after reading the forms. I'm kinda getting scared. I'm just trying to find a solution to this. Also with all these blown Turbos, I'm surprised Audi still hasn't called for a major recall. I honestly would rather replace the Oil Screen with the new design, Check value, and Oil Separator and upgrade the turbos for 2-3k.
Just got off the phone with Endurance Warranty. They won't even cover a 2013 Audi S8 4.0T. Next talked to Carchex. Their platinum plan to cover everything for 3yr/30,000 was approx $4,000 for the car or 5yr/50,000 for approx $6,000.

Quick Reply: 4.0TT Turbo Failure Thread - S6 S7 RS7 A8 S8