A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: 4.0TT Have your turbos blown yet?
2013 - NO
19.23%
2013 - YES
13.56%
2014 - NO
11.13%
2014 - YES
6.07%
2015 - NO
13.77%
2015 - YES
5.67%
2016 - NO
14.17%
2016 - YES
3.04%
2017 - NO
11.34%
2017 - YES
2.02%
Voters: 494. You may not vote on this poll

4.0TT Turbo Failure Thread - S6 S7 RS7 A8 S8

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes, it started at 0 miles and it was used as a dealer loaner in CT for one year before I’ve bought it.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by m444
here is a list of states following the emission rules of California for the warranty, from California emission booklet that came with the S6 manual.
Which makes sense re: the warranty coverage of my turbos at 68,800 miles. My car was sold/titled initially in Rhode Island, then bought by me in RI two years later, re-titled in Massachusetts after it was paid off, then the turbo failure happened in RI, where it was repaired at no cost.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by tx170754
Yes, it started at 0 miles and it was used as a dealer loaner in CT for one year before I’ve bought it.

So, my net is I think you should be covered for a turbo failure within 7 years, 70K miles from new. But because the fact pattern is that your car is now in a (Midwestern) state without the same warranty coverage as where it was first purchased (CT), you may have to push harder with relevant local dealer service or Audi. Given the $$ involved, it could be a tussle with Audi, but hopefully not. It would be enough at stake to hire a lawyer if it got to a pissing match. As described below, I think it works both ways--where a current owner living (titling car) in the "covered" states is probably out of luck if the car was first sold new in a non-covered state. Not good corporate policy in my mind for the latter result, especially for a flagship vehicle, but unfortunately not likely view in penny pinching Audi + VW post TDI.

Below are the relevant pages from my 2015 warranty supplemental booklet that deals with the "California" warranty. On p. 2 you see CT is on the list of "CARB" states that get this same warranty. I think the key language dealing with your cross state lines situation is in the lead in sentence to the state list and then the sentence right after it. "The warranties required by the State of California law apply to all new Audi vehicles imported and distributed by Audi for sale and registration in the following states..." and "Therefore the owner of an above mentioned vehicle may have warranty rights under both Federal and State mandated emissions warranties."

In plainer English, I think the warranty probably tracks to where the car was first purchased, not to where it may be now. Thus, a "CA" (or "CT") car relocated to the Midwest should still fall within those sentences as I read them. Correspondingly, I think a car first sold in a non-CA warranty state like Florida (#1 D body state for new ones) or even Nevada and then later resold or moved to CA would not technically qualify. Thus for me in CA, since I bought a used one first sold in CA my warranty is good. Had I bought a FL one used though, even though I am in CA I don't think the warranty would apply.

You obviously have to also conclude the warranty applies to later purchasers of used ones. The second quoted sentence above referring to "the owner" helps get there on this specific language. Audi also interprets warranties that way in general, and you find the subsequent owner type language in the main (4/50) warranty book. CA law (and hopefully other states) likely says that specific to emissions warranties too.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-25-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by m444
I just noticed the sticker on my car lists 502 or 504 oil.
Correct. Owners manual says it too. Hence my post about switching to 504 oils, which would be the norm in Europe where these were built and tested to begin with.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

Old 03-25-2019, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Thank you very much MP !
Old 03-26-2019, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2016 4.0T dual turbo fail

New to this forum but found this thread after my Audi dealer informed me that my 2016 A8L 4.0 had both turbos fail at the same time and for only $11,000 they could get it back up and running. Dealer was unable to provide any other option and through days of searching forums and tech articles was unable to find a viable path forward. I was able to find an Audi tuning shop in my town that has seen this many times and would be able to fix it for about $9k and even upgrade to RS7 turbos in the process. If fairness to Audi my A8 is our of warranty but with this issue being pervasive and addressed via TSBs sure seems like they would at least try and offset some of the cost. Ideally they should forward such TSBs to the original owners (ME) so that I could have addressed the oil screen issue and avoided a catastrophic failure, or perhaps let me know of the issue when in for service last fall.

I escalated the issue to AOA (as others have done), sent copious service records (which they should be able to pull from dealer), and after a few weeks got this response.

Thank you for your patience. I appreciate the opportunity to review your request with my team regarding your 2016 Audi A8. As you know, our New Vehicle Limited Warranty covers manufacturer’s shortcomings in materials and workmanship for everything on the vehicle, excluding tires. This is valid for the first 4 years or 50k miles of the vehicle’s life. In regard to your vehicle, you would be outside of that warranty by mileage. Even so, I still wanted to review your request for assistance with your turbocharger failure with my team. We have reviewed the maintenance documents you sent in, as well as information from our system and what is available at the dealership level. Based on that information, Audi of America is, regrettably, not in a position to participate in the cost for repairs.

While I understand this was likely not the response you were hoping for, I want to assure you that all possible opportunities for assistance were explored during our review. If you have a separate concern we may assist you with, please don’t hesitate to reach back out to us.

Best regards,

Gabriella C.

Digital and Social Media Advocate, Audi Customer Experience Center
Audi of America, Inc.
Digital & Social Media Team

Has some follow up calls with Gabriella, who would not escalate or give me names of anyone else to speak with, and threw in the towel. Glad that they wasted weeks of my time just to tell me it's out of warranty and flip me the bird. I'm on my 2nd new and overpriced Audi and this will be my last, at the very least they should have offered up to comp some parts but no deal to be had.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Throttlzone
New to this forum but found this thread after my Audi dealer informed me that my 2016 A8L 4.0 had both turbos fail at the same time and for only $11,000 they could get it back up and running. Dealer was unable to provide any other option and through days of searching forums and tech articles was unable to find a viable path forward. I was able to find an Audi tuning shop in my town that has seen this many times and would be able to fix it for about $9k and even upgrade to RS7 turbos in the process. If fairness to Audi my A8 is our of warranty but with this issue being pervasive and addressed via TSBs sure seems like they would at least try and offset some of the cost. Ideally they should forward such TSBs to the original owners (ME) so that I could have addressed the oil screen issue and avoided a catastrophic failure, or perhaps let me know of the issue when in for service last fall.

I escalated the issue to AOA (as others have done), sent copious service records (which they should be able to pull from dealer), and after a few weeks got this response.

Thank you for your patience. I appreciate the opportunity to review your request with my team regarding your 2016 Audi A8. As you know, our New Vehicle Limited Warranty covers manufacturer’s shortcomings in materials and workmanship for everything on the vehicle, excluding tires. This is valid for the first 4 years or 50k miles of the vehicle’s life. In regard to your vehicle, you would be outside of that warranty by mileage. Even so, I still wanted to review your request for assistance with your turbocharger failure with my team. We have reviewed the maintenance documents you sent in, as well as information from our system and what is available at the dealership level. Based on that information, Audi of America is, regrettably, not in a position to participate in the cost for repairs.

While I understand this was likely not the response you were hoping for, I want to assure you that all possible opportunities for assistance were explored during our review. If you have a separate concern we may assist you with, please don’t hesitate to reach back out to us.

Best regards,

Gabriella C.

Digital and Social Media Advocate, Audi Customer Experience Center
Audi of America, Inc.
Digital & Social Media Team

Has some follow up calls with Gabriella, who would not escalate or give me names of anyone else to speak with, and threw in the towel. Glad that they wasted weeks of my time just to tell me it's out of warranty and flip me the bird. I'm on my 2nd new and overpriced Audi and this will be my last, at the very least they should have offered up to comp some parts but no deal to be had.
What state was your car sold in initially, and where are you located?
Old 03-26-2019, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought new in 2016 fresh off the boat. Always serviced by Audi dealers in Cincinnati
Old 03-26-2019, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Throttlzone
New to this forum but found this thread after my Audi dealer informed me that my 2016 A8L 4.0 had both turbos fail at the same time ...

Has some follow up calls with Gabriella, who would not escalate or give me names of anyone else to speak with, and threw in the towel. ... .
See this press release, which will give you the names of both the current Audi of America CEO and the VWoA CEO . VWoA CEO (Keough) was the previous AoA CEO and is generally highly regarded by the dealers. He had to steer through the TDI debacle, especially once 3.0 TDI used heavily in Audi's got implicated. Audi Newsroom

Here are some more contact names at AoA as well as address: https://www.bloomberg.com/research/s...vcapId=7704527

Note that you were also misled in the response by the AoA customer rep. She failed to mention anything about the emissions warranty. I expect they would have researched that behind the scenes BTW. See the other reply asking you what state you are in, and where car was sold new. If you read through the thread, you will realize my second hand S8 related turbos will be warranted and replaced through 7 years and 70,000 miles. But yours won't if you don't live in about 2/3 of the country (by population)... OR... technically apparently happen to have randomly bought a second hand one from a "bad" state like FL, TX or many other places. So, you are also a second class Audi citizen, as it were. Maybe even third class honestly, since you bought yours new and got the shaft, while I bought mine used (albeit CPO) and get 7/70 on turbos. Even if I bought it from some fly by night used car lot, same result. If I were writing at the CEO level, I would draw that asinine result out very clearly. Just not right as a corporate level policy, let alone and frankly especially since they have basically been hiding the ball on this issue for a couple of years now.

Also, please report the failure to the NHTSA, particularly any failure circumstances that left you in an unsafe situation--sudden failure, side of road, traffic, danger getting out of traffic or getting tow, weather, etc. NHTSA = National Highway Traffic Safety Administration--the guys who often start/force a recall, particularly with a safety overlay. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

BTW, this thread is actually relatively newer. Even a year ago now--literally today--the pieces were being put together about the 4.0T turbos on the Audizine C7 (S6/S7/RS7) site. See this thread at now over 300 replies over the past year: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...goes-the-turbo

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-26-2019 at 06:55 PM.

Quick Reply: 4.0TT Turbo Failure Thread - S6 S7 RS7 A8 S8