A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: 4.0TT Have your turbos blown yet?
2013 - NO
19.23%
2013 - YES
13.56%
2014 - NO
11.13%
2014 - YES
6.07%
2015 - NO
13.77%
2015 - YES
5.67%
2016 - NO
14.17%
2016 - YES
3.04%
2017 - NO
11.34%
2017 - YES
2.02%
Voters: 494. You may not vote on this poll

4.0TT Turbo Failure Thread - S6 S7 RS7 A8 S8

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by m444
Need to pull out the old screen, then add the JHM screen kit. Yes, as much work for install.

Cleaning the screen after the JHM kit is installed is then easier.

https://jhmotorsports.com/stainless-...7-d4-4-0t.html

With our JHM Stainless Braided Turbo Oil Line and Strainer/Screen Relocation Kit, you no longer use the factory Oil Strainer/Screen (079115175G) and instead uses two oil screen filters that are relocated on top of the motor where they are easy to get to and can be serviced as often as you like! To replace your OEM Oil Strainer/Screen is a lengthy process which requires you to put your vehicle into service position, remove the throttle bodies, intercooler, bi-pipes, oil separator, etc. just to get to the screen. With our kit, you only have to perform this job ONCE saving you this costly service every time you want to clean your filters.”
I really wish I knew about this upgrade kit when I performed the oil screen and check value replacement preventative maintenance service!
Old 07-15-2019, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Turbo Failure Update

I just wanted to give everyone another heads up. I just found out that Audi put an extended warranty on the crankcase breathers up to 120,000 miles. I found out because of course they have to fail first and mine did. You will know when this happens because it will start to whistle loudly, check engine light will come on and power will be reduced. Thankfully Audi is covering this repair, however my car has been at the dealership since July 3rd and they don't think they can get it completed for another week. (Truly pathetic service Graham Automotive in Sioux Falls, SD)
The mechanic recommended upgrading the oil screen at this time due to a cost savings in labor since much of the work will need to be done to replace the crankcase valve. It will save me about $400. I have also reached out to the Audi rep to see if they will cover this cost or at least contribute in any way being this is a known problem and a service bulletin has been issued.
I will keep everyone posted.
BTW my S8 is a 14 with 50k miles.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Hello fellow Sioux Falls Resident.

Good luck with Graham. Their "Master Service Tech" EB almost cost me $2500 in a misdiagnosed fuel delivery issue. Graham told me my S8 fuel tank was faulty. When in reality, Graham (EB) install the new fuel pump incorrectly. I took my S8 to an European Imports shop, and they had it fixed in within 90 minutes. From now on, I will only take my car to Graham if there is a service recall that has to be preformed by an Audi Dealer.

If you're in the market for a shop in Sioux Falls. I highly recommend Classic Import Repair. They've taken care of my S8, and this is where I'll take my 2012 A8L when service is needed, as well.

Sorry this was post was off-topic.

Good luck.

Last edited by 2001 S8; 07-16-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

No worries about being off topic, I appreciated your comments. I completely agree with you and try to bring my vehicles to Classic whenever they need something. This being warranty work, I reluctantly brought it to Graham. The service has been absolutely unacceptable and it amazes me that they can stay in business treating customers like this. Kevin the service manager tried to give me excuse after excuse and still is unable to tell me when they will be finished with my car. It has been there two weeks now, and to my knowledge has still not made it to a lift. He then tried to explain that they can't find enough good employee's and their service department is extremely behind. Hmm, I wonder why?!
In the midst of all of this I called down to the Omaha Audi dealership and spoke with the service manager Peter. His response: "Absolutely just let me know when you can have it here and I will get it done for you in less than two days. Bring it in anytime, and we will work it in"
Sorry for my rant. I will keep you updated on the repairs and more importantly if I make any head way with Audi USA on helping cover the cost of replacing the oil screen. It's always nice to hear from a fellow car enthusiast. Take care
Old 07-18-2019, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TinyElviss
Has anyone referred the inspector to this thread?
Yes.

I also gave the inspector my synthesis from this thread on the safety aspects of the turbo fail TSB and how that led to the preventative maintenance I had performed on my S8. Also was asked, and I provided, the service invoice and part/labor itemization.

The inspector last said that they are working now with Audi on the issue.

May be last chance to make a material difference in the NHTSA statistics for TSB 2044640. Note that I filed with NHTSA even though I *only* performed preventative work to avoid the turbo fail scenario.

Last edited by NorthSD S8; 07-18-2019 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric Potter
Mine just blew last Saturday. Was driving to Grand Rapids and once I pulled off the highway my car just completely shut down. Couldn’t move the steering wheel, brake pedal was locked up, couldn’t get it in any other gear besides park and engine wouldn’t start back up. There wasn’t any shaking, or any warning signs before this happened. Still at the dealership.
What feedback did you get from the dealer? My car quit last summer. Had it towed to dealer. They initially said it was a crank case vent valve. $3500 later, they said your turbos are going out. Because if the issue with the vent valve, they weren’t able to detect it. About a month ago, we received a recall notice for reimbursement for the crank case vent valve.. I really wish they would get it together..
Old 07-19-2019, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Went ahead to replace screen and check valve preventatively

this is what it looked like
also don’t really see how the new strainer improves things ?

Old 07-19-2019, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I brought my 15 S8 in for an oil change Tuesday to AV Autoworx in Wilmington De. The owner didn't suggest doing any preventative maintenance and said that my extended warranty would definitely cover the repair if they blew. I have a 3 year 36k warranty from continental warranty here in Delaware. I believe you can refinance or if you own your car take a loan out on it and add it to your car at that time. Here's the website to call and confirm. Auto Warranty Company | Car Warranty Delaware

He did have an S7 in the parking lot that had blown turbos and did the work he said it was around 9k. So he has worked on the problem recently.

Hope this helps anyone who is scared about purchasing or keeping a high mileage 4.0 TT. I have 81k on my car and I am keeping her till the warranty expires or they come out with a new S8 plus with over 600hp.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by audisession
Went ahead to replace screen and check valve preventatively this is what it looked like
also don’t really see how the new strainer improves things ? ..
Clean the old one and compare up the the light with the new one.

Old 07-19-2019, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, new one has "bigger holes". I wasn't going to put one back in, but after seeing the new one, I put it in. Easy enough to change every 50-60k miles...

Quick Reply: 4.0TT Turbo Failure Thread - S6 S7 RS7 A8 S8