A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: 4.0TT Have your turbos blown yet?
2013 - NO
19.23%
2013 - YES
13.56%
2014 - NO
11.13%
2014 - YES
6.07%
2015 - NO
13.77%
2015 - YES
5.67%
2016 - NO
14.17%
2016 - YES
3.04%
2017 - NO
11.34%
2017 - YES
2.02%
Voters: 494. You may not vote on this poll

4.0TT Turbo Failure Thread - S6 S7 RS7 A8 S8

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Puzz1
Great it ended well.

DWBoston, don't keep us in suspense - what are you getting for your next ride?
I'll update once the car is delivered. Right now it's just an order with a deposit. When I have it in hand I'll update with pics.

Last edited by dwboston; 03-04-2019 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spdemon91
I visited Audi dealer for first time today... Very nice dealership and courteous staff. Asked for Service Manager but he wasn't there so spoke with second in charge. He knew immediately what I was talking about and indicated they have been replacing blown turbos. I stated I want to do preventative maintenance and replace the defective oil screen now before the turbos fail and asked if they would recommend that. He called one of his lead mechanics (20+ years experience) over to discuss. He was indifferent as he has seen these engines go for over 150,000 miles without any issues while others have failed before 50,000 miles so it all depends on how well the car is maintained, how hard the car is driven, any modifications done, etc. However, many people with failed turbos here and elsewhere have claimed their cars were well maintained and not abused and they still failed prematurely. Also, he indicated the turbos should be inspected first to ensure they are in proper working condition. If the turbos are already damaged, it wouldn't be worth doing the preventative work only to have to go back in again later when the turbos fail. Therefore, he suggested that they inspect the turbos first. This would involve taking the inlets off and inspecting the impellers for play and whatever else they do when they inspect turbos? It would be approx 1 hour of work which would amount to a $150 charge. This seems high since the turbos appear readily accessible. For those in the know, is this something I could do on my own and if so, how exactly would one "inspect" the turbos and impellers for play? Or should I just pay the $150 to have the dealer inspect them?

As for the preventative maintenance, it would cost approx $400 in parts. This would include replacing the oil screen, check valve and all associated gaskets and fittings. This also seems high to me but admittedly, I am not used to taking cars to the dealer to have work done. I understand they have a markup on their parts but $400 for a tiny screen, valve and some gaskets??? Can anyone corroborate this cost? I did ask if the oil separator should also be replaced and he indicated that would not be necessary. Of course the biggest cost is the labor... To replace the oil screen, the check valve and all associated gaskets and fittings, they are estimating 8 hours which would equal $1,200 in labor. For those who have done this job on an A8/S8, how long should this really take for a professional? I can understand this being an entire day's worth of work if they had to remove the front of the car like they have to do on some models but from what I have read, the front of the car does not have to be removed and it seems more straight forward on an A8/S8.

Thoughts/suggestions most welcome...
+1 on this.

I also spoke with my service adviser early this week. My car was in for PA state inspection and emissions as well as the fuel line recall. The service adviser knew exactly what I was talking about when I mentioned the TSB on turbo failures. He pretty much parroted exactly what was in the TSB as the cause. ECU tune and improperly maintenance (aka not getting oil changes done at or before 10k interval) on high mileage vehicles were #1 and #2 on this list. He said that 75% of the 4.0 vehicles they had done turbo replacement for had tuned ECU's. He also said that separately, 2/3's of the cars were also over 100k miles. And I"m going to infer that it doesn't mean you're totally safe if you haven't tuned your car, but it does sound like it lowers the risk.

And to echo spdemon, if anyone who is mechanically inclined would be willing to document on YouTube the tear-down of the necessary hardware to do this inspection themselves, I promise to watch it at least a half dozen times. And even if the couple hundred members of this site do the same thing, you might make enough from the YouTube revenue to cover the cost of electricity to charge your camera battery. But at least you'll at least make a few more internet friends in the process - myself included.

Last edited by chris355; 03-08-2019 at 03:49 PM. Reason: typo
The following 3 users liked this post by chris355:
09S5 (08-19-2021), Michael S. (01-13-2022), mikesvwservice (08-01-2022)
Old 03-08-2019, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by chris355
+1 on this.

I also spoke with my service adviser early this week. My car was in for PA state inspection and emissions as well as the fuel line recall. The service adviser knew exactly what I was talking about when I mentioned the TSB on turbo failures. He pretty much parroted exactly what was in the TSB as the cause. ECU tune and improperly maintenance (aka not getting oil changes done at or before 10k interval) on high mileage vehicles were #1 and #2 on this list. He said that 75% of the 4.0 vehicles they had done turbo replacement for had tuned ECU's. He also said that separately, 2/3's of the cars were also over 100k miles. And I"m going to infer that it doesn't mean you're totally safe if you haven't tuned your car, but it does sound like it lowers the risk.

And to echo spdemon, if anyone who is mechanically inclined would be willing to document on YouTube the tear-down of the necessary hardware to do this inspection themselves, I promise to watch it at least a half dozen times. And even if the couple hundred members of this site do the same thing, you might make enough from the YouTube revenue to cover the cost of electricity to charge your camera battery. But at least you'll at least make a few more internet friends in the process - myself included.
No tune here, all service done by the Audi dealer at the recommended intervals, I didn't drive the car hard, and my turbos failed at just under 69k miles. Just unlucky I guess.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by chris355
+1 on this.

I also spoke with my service adviser early this week. My car was in for PA state inspection and emissions as well as the fuel line recall. The service adviser knew exactly what I was talking about when I mentioned the TSB on turbo failures. He pretty much parroted exactly what was in the TSB as the cause. ECU tune and improperly maintenance (aka not getting oil changes done at or before 10k interval) on high mileage vehicles were #1 and #2 on this list. He said that 75% of the 4.0 vehicles they had done turbo replacement for had tuned ECU's. He also said that separately, 2/3's of the cars were also over 100k miles. And I"m going to infer that it doesn't mean you're totally safe if you haven't tuned your car, but it does sound like it lowers the risk....
The major reason for the failure is clogged oil supply screen.

There are many people 4.0T turbo failure, that were not ECU tuned. One stock RS7 4.0T had failed turbos with less than 20k miles, several stock ECU 4.0Ts at 30k to 60k miles had failed turbos, There are 51 4.0T turbo failures posted on Audi-zine turbo poll.

A number of users with tuned ECUs have not had the turbos fail, since they are following a conservative protocol: oil & oil filter change intervals are every 3k to 5k miles.

Here is quote from one of the posted on the other 4.0T turbo fail poll:
"My current s8 has 327,000 miles and I change the oil 2500-3000 miles with synthetic...
It's a small price to pay when comparing to fuel costs."

There is also a turbo fail TSB for the Bentley 4.0T posted.

This post shows how to replace the PCV oil seperator (the oil screen & check valve is under the oil seperator), 8 hours labor, HOW TO: Oil Separator R&R

Old 03-11-2019, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Everyone,

This is reluctantly my first post on the forums.

I just purchased a 2013 A8 4.0T in October 2018 with 64k miles. My turbos just failed at 68k miles last week (3/7/19). I haven't even had a chance to change the oil. It was actually scheduled to be done in a few days. I haven't really "beat" on her at all. Yes, a few times i would get on the gas getting on the hwy, but that's about it. I live in New England, so not sure the climate has anything to do with it, but it has been quite cold(around 20°F). Also, i know i haven't had an ECU tune, but maybe someone did in the past, but I doubt it.

It is currently at Audi waiting for my warranty provider to "sign-off" on the repairs. PUMPED that I purchased the extended full coverage warranty, because they quoted me ~$10k for the repair.

Look forward to learning more from all of you!!
-Slone
The following users liked this post:
mikesvwservice (08-01-2022)
Old 03-11-2019, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,168 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinTurboA8
Hey Everyone,

I just purchased a 2013 A8 4.0T in October 2018 with 64k miles. My turbos just failed at 68k miles last week (3/7/19). I haven't even had a chance to change the oil. It was actually scheduled to be done in a few days. I haven't really "beat" on her at all. Yes, a few times i would get on the gas getting on the hwy, but that's about it. I live in New England, so not sure the climate has anything to do with it, but it has been quite cold(around 20°F). Also, i know i haven't had an ECU tune, but maybe someone did in the past, but I doubt it.

It is currently at Audi waiting for my warranty provider to "sign-off" on the repairs. PUMPED that I purchased the extended full coverage warranty, because they quoted me ~$10k for the repair.

-Slone
Congrats on the purchase and good thing you had the extended warranty.
Hopefully the dealer and warranty company does you right.
Keep us in the loop on the repair!
Old 03-11-2019, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinTurboA8
Hey Everyone,

-Slone
Assuming you got 3 part non-Audi extended Warranty...

I remember reading that Turbos are part of Emission system and they carry warranty of 7Yr/70K Miles, check with multiple dealers before you go for the warranty. Your current dealer would try to cut corners now as they know you already got the Extended warranty but check it out with other Audi dealers.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dreamszalone

I remember reading that Turbos are part of Emission system and they carry warranty of 7Yr/70K Miles, check with multiple dealers before you go for the warranty. Your current dealer would try to cut corners now as they know you already got the Extended warranty but check it out with other Audi dealers.
This. My 2015 A8 4.0T turbos failed 2 weeks ago at 68,800 miles. The whole thing was covered under a 7/70 warranty for the turbos. Make sure the dealer checks with Audi to see if the turbos are covered.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreamszalone

I think depends on where you live. The reference to 7/70 is a "California" emissions warranty. Of course that applies in CA, but it also applies in the states that follow the CA emissions rules.Sometimes called the "CARB" states--California Air Resources Board is the relevant EPA counterpart state agency here. Basically those states are the Northeast and most down to down to MD, the Pacific coastal states and New Mexico. dwboston's recent success having warranty coverage seems to reflect that, assuming he is in the Boston area. More specific list is here (or lots of other places on web): https://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-...nomy/carb4.htm If you are in "the rest" of the country, it is the basic "Federal" warranty that applies. See your warranty book, but typically less coverage for many subsystems after the first few years.

To get Audi or other coverage for the turbos, my sense of the possible ways to get it net to one of :
  • 4/50 original Audi warranty,
  • Audi CPO warranty,
  • other third party extended warranty, or
  • located in a state that tracks the CA rules (out to 7/70).
I'm not sure about the corner cases where the car was originally bought in a CA state and then moved/got sold to a non-CA state, or the reverse. As these get older and turn over, that will probably come up more given the $$$$ involved.

As I have posted before, I suggest anyone who has the issue--covered or not--file a report with NHTSA. With enough reports that flag that the car becomes almost immediately undrivable and can lead to dangerous/life threatening breakdowns, it may get their attention. That could eventually force a recall, service action or warranty extension. Here: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-11-2019 at 07:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MP4.2+6.0:
djh4601 (07-03-2019), ScottCNelson (06-24-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
I think depends on where you live. The reference to 7/70 is a "California" emissions warranty. Of course that applies in CA, but it also applies in the states that follow the CA emissions rules.Sometimes called the "CARB" states--California Air Resources Board is the relevant EPA counterpart state agency here. Basically those states are the Northeast and most down to down to MD, the Pacific coastal states and New Mexico. dwboston's recent success having warranty coverage seems to reflect that, assuming he is in the Boston area. More specific list is here (or lots of other places on web): https://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-...nomy/carb4.htm If you are in "the rest" of the country, it is the basic "Federal" warranty that applies. See your warranty book, but typically less coverage for many subsystems after the first few years.

To get Audi or other coverage for the turbos, my sense of the possible ways to get it net to one of :
  • 4/50 original Audi warranty,
  • Audi CPO warranty,
  • other third party extended warranty, or
  • located in a state that tracks the CA rules (out to 7/70).
I'm not sure about the corner cases where the car was originally bought in a CA state and then moved/got sold to a non-CA state, or the reverse. As these get older and turn over, that will probably come up more given the $$$$ involved.

As I have posted before, I suggest anyone who has the issue--covered or not--file a report with NHTSA. With enough reports that flag that the car becomes almost immediately undrivable and can lead to dangerous/life threatening breakdowns, it may get their attention. That could eventually force a recall, service action or warranty extension. Here: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
He did say he lives in New England, so hopefully he has 7/70 warranty coverage on the turbos. I did file a report with the NHTSA last week related to my turbo failure.

Quick Reply: 4.0TT Turbo Failure Thread - S6 S7 RS7 A8 S8