A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 4.0 Engine Vibration MUST READ!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default downpipes for s8 ordered

Good news! Audi of Gwinett knew what they were doing and ordered the downpipe replacement right away. They said it's a "new TSB." I'm taking it in for replacement next weekend and I'm getting a loaner ride while I wait!
Old 10-22-2017, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Got the downpipes installed, no longer feel nearly as much vibration at 1k/3k and the install took one day. Thanks for the info gang!
Old 10-26-2017, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just took delivery of a 2013 S8, I purchased used, sight unseen. It's out of warranty, no CPO and it has the dreaded vibration issue as I suspected it would. And yes, I know I'm an idiot, but sometimes I can't help myself. I called Audi USA customer service this morning and they said they may be able to help if my local Audi dealer can replicated the vibration. I asked very politely if there was any way they could cover the engine vibration issue as a courtsey for a long time 'flagship' customer as I also have happily owned a D2 S8 for the last 10 years... it's been my daily driver. Funny thing is, Ive driven 2 D4 S8's (including the one I now own) and 1 D4 A8 and 1 C7 S6. All 4 vehicles have various versions of the 4.0 TFSI, all were 2013 model year vehicles and all had the vibration issue. Am I just that lucky or is every single 4.0 TFSI engine a victim of this issue? How has Audi gotten away with not recalling every 4.0 with this issue? Are you listening Audi? That new E63S from MB is calling my name otherwise!!!

So here's my question: is there any chance the APR Stage 1 tune can mitigate, minimize or alleviate the 1,000 and 3,000 RPM engine vibration issue for anyone? If not, has anyone tried using the APR down pipes and stage 2 tune to fix this issue? It seems to me that the cast down pipes would certainly be more substantial that the stock pipes - which look like something off a 1960's lunar rover. If I'm going to go out of pocket to fix this, you can bet I'm going to use the cast down pipes from APR with the improvement in performance, and sound. And if there's any doubt, again reference my earlier comments about being an idiot. :P

2001 D2 S8 alongside 2013 D4 S8
Old 10-30-2017, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello AW. Haven't been on the site for years, but started lurking again a few months ago before purchasing a used A8.
Just wanted to log into this thread to say thanks for the knowledgeable contributors who placed their thoughts and documents regarding the downpipes. Knew it was a fixable issue before I bought my car - would have hesitated otherwise - and had the intel to have the car fixed correctly on the first visit.
Nice to see some knowledgeable folks are still around helping others out. Cheers!
Old 11-16-2017, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

My dealer is trying to tell me this TSB is not covered by CPO coverage because it pertains to the exhaust system. Seems completely ridiculous to me.

Can anybody who has had this repaired under CPO please let me know?
Old 11-17-2017, 12:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I had it done under CPO.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Zed 2.0
My dealer is trying to tell me this TSB is not covered by CPO coverage because it pertains to the exhaust system. Seems completely ridiculous to me.

Can anybody who has had this repaired under CPO please let me know?
When I had mine done on a 2014 S8 they first just updated the motor mount software and had me test the vehicle. The motor mount software update seemed to eliminate 70-80% of the vibration and was a big improvement. The mechanic said it was within a normal range of operation afterwards. Since it wasn't 100% gone I had them replace the downpipes as well. If you can't get the dealer to pay for the repair, I would still recommend paying out of pocket for the motor mount software update. I can't imagine it would be more than 1 hour labor.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by chris355
I just took delivery of a 2013 S8, I purchased used, sight unseen. It's out of warranty, no CPO and it has the dreaded vibration issue as I suspected it would. And yes, I know I'm an idiot, but sometimes I can't help myself. I called Audi USA customer service this morning and they said they may be able to help if my local Audi dealer can replicated the vibration. I asked very politely if there was any way they could cover the engine vibration issue as a courtsey for a long time 'flagship' customer as I also have happily owned a D2 S8 for the last 10 years... it's been my daily driver. Funny thing is, Ive driven 2 D4 S8's (including the one I now own) and 1 D4 A8 and 1 C7 S6. All 4 vehicles have various versions of the 4.0 TFSI, all were 2013 model year vehicles and all had the vibration issue. Am I just that lucky or is every single 4.0 TFSI engine a victim of this issue? How has Audi gotten away with not recalling every 4.0 with this issue? Are you listening Audi? That new E63S from MB is calling my name otherwise!!!

So here's my question: is there any chance the APR Stage 1 tune can mitigate, minimize or alleviate the 1,000 and 3,000 RPM engine vibration issue for anyone? If not, has anyone tried using the APR down pipes and stage 2 tune to fix this issue? It seems to me that the cast down pipes would certainly be more substantial that the stock pipes - which look like something off a 1960's lunar rover. If I'm going to go out of pocket to fix this, you can bet I'm going to use the cast down pipes from APR with the improvement in performance, and sound. And if there's any doubt, again reference my earlier comments about being an idiot. :P

2001 D2 S8 alongside 2013 D4 S8
APR stage 1 does not eliminate the vibration at 1k/3k rpm. I too am curious about stage 2 down pipes and if it cures the vibration.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Following up on the CPO issue, after some arguing and the dealer making a couple calls to AOA they agreed to cover this as a goodwill fix. I think this would have been a much bigger fight if I hadn't just bought the car from the dealer.

A couple lessons from this experience: it's possible I picked the wrong dealer, but it's also possible AOA is starting to scrutinize warranty costs on this one (particularly as it seems like this will affect almost every 4.0T car at some point). So if you think you might have this issue, try to get it taken care of ASAP.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default APR down pipes eliminate engine vibration

Originally Posted by chris355
I

So here's my question: is there any chance the APR Stage 1 tune can mitigate, minimize or alleviate the 1,000 and 3,000 RPM engine vibration issue for anyone? If not, has anyone tried using the APR down pipes and stage 2 tune to fix this issue? It seems to me that the cast down pipes would certainly be more substantial that the stock pipes - which look like something off a 1960's lunar rover. If I'm going to go out of pocket to fix this, you can bet I'm going to use the cast down pipes from APR with the improvement in performance, and sound.
D4 S8
i can confirm APR Stage 2 tune with their down pipes eliminates the dreaded 1k/3k rpm engine vibration. Just had it done in a 13’ S8.

Dealer quote on the new oem pipes was $1500 for parts and labor

Last edited by BTAudi; 12-01-2017 at 11:08 AM.

Quick Reply: A8 4.0 Engine Vibration MUST READ!!!