A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8 4.0 Engine Vibration MUST READ!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 07:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's disappointing reading about these vibration issues on the A8. They are great cars, arguably the best in category. My 2011 NWB has absolutely no vibrations at any speed at 49,000 miles, and it wears the normal Continental tires. I had a 2014 A8 LWB loaner last year that had significant vibration at speed, but I thought it was just that car. Last month I asked the SA about it, and said it had "significant issues" and would be in the service bay for a while. Whatever that means...

The other loaner that they give me is a 2015 A7 diesel. I've had it twice and it is super smooth at any speed and quiet. I may go that direction next
Old 02-21-2016, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by TNJohn
It's disappointing reading about these vibration issues on the A8. They are great cars, arguably the best in category. My 2011 NWB has absolutely no vibrations at any speed at 49,000 miles, and it wears the normal Continental tires. I had a 2014 A8 LWB loaner last year that had significant vibration at speed, but I thought it was just that car. Last month I asked the SA about it, and said it had "significant issues" and would be in the service bay for a while. Whatever that means...

The other loaner that they give me is a 2015 A7 diesel. I've had it twice and it is super smooth at any speed and quiet. I may go that direction next
This thread is supposed to specifically be focused on A8s with the 4.0T V8 engine. Do you recall what engine your 2014 LWB loaner had? It would be unusual for a dealer to have an A8 with the 4.0 V8 in its loaner fleet. Was it a 3.0T?
Old 02-21-2016, 12:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Derf, the loaner was indeed a 4.0.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by TNJohn
Derf, the loaner was indeed a 4.0.
Nice. I'd take that as a loaner, even with vibrations. 😊
Old 02-21-2016, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Absolutely no front end vibration on my 2015. Not from engine, nor motor mounts. It's smooth as silk...And I notice every tic when something isn't right on my cars.
I turned off cylinder deactivation the first day I took delivery and have never had any type of vibration at any speed or from any source. Delivered in May of 2013 and just had 20k service performed. So far, not a single warranty issue but did just replace O.E.M. tires with the NCS version of the same size Pirelli's. The original tires were only worn down about half life but getting noisy. Fantastic car with great performance and features; will definitely stick with Audi.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigBoy11
I turned off cylinder deactivation the first day I took delivery and have never had any type of vibration at any speed or from any source. Delivered in May of 2013 and just had 20k service performed. So far, not a single warranty issue but did just replace O.E.M. tires with the NCS version of the same size Pirelli's. The original tires were only worn down about half life but getting noisy. Fantastic car with great performance and features; will definitely stick with Audi.
How about start/stop system NOT cylinder deactivation which as far as I know, cannot be turned off. But, that didn't keep me from trying!
Old 02-21-2016, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BigBoy11
How about start/stop system NOT cylinder deactivation which as far as I know, cannot be turned off. But, that didn't keep me from trying!
Yeah, I just read your post and was going to question how you turned off cylinder deactivation. 🤔 Start/Stop, yes, but cylinder deactivation, no. But you tried! 😜
Old 02-22-2016, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of curiosity, after reading this thread, I put my S8 in neutral and revved up to 1k then 3k and sure enough, I could feel a little vibration!

If it wasn't for this thread, I'd probably never even have thought to look. I might bring it up at my next service. Otherwise, it's not too bad since I've never felt it really before.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Yeah, I just read your post and was going to question how you turned off cylinder deactivation. 🤔 Start/Stop, yes, but cylinder deactivation, no. But you tried! 😜
As soon as I hit submit, I realized my error! Cylinder deactivation has been truly seemless and actually works as intended. The stop/start was absolutely annoying even on the test drive but I do remember a vibration in the dealer's demo so decided then to turn off that "feature" before I even left the dealership.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not Too Bad?

The issue being "not too bad" is pretty amazing considering you could have spent $125K on that car. I have a 10 year old Accura MDX with 160K miles that I'm selling for $2000 that you can't feel an iota of vibration no matter what the speed or RPMs. I've decided to just live with it myself, and if I had the S8 I would be even happier living with it. But c'mon, when we're spending this kind of money shouldn't we be getting something closer to perfection? I've owned Lexus's with 140K miles and no issues whatsoever. You would think that when you pay more for something, you get something better.

The fact that some people don't feel any vibration to me means that the issue is solvable. Maybe not with a cheap software fix, but with new motor mounts that probably cost a fortune, or replacement of whatever the "brain" or sensor that might be causing the issue. With the price we are paying for these cars, Audi should step up to the plate and do ANYTHING they have to do to correct an issue that you would be hard pressed to find in any other car in any price range that has an issue like this!

Originally Posted by Ravill
Out of curiosity, after reading this thread, I put my S8 in neutral and revved up to 1k then 3k and sure enough, I could feel a little vibration!

If it wasn't for this thread, I'd probably never even have thought to look. I might bring it up at my next service. Otherwise, it's not too bad since I've never felt it really before.

Quick Reply: A8 4.0 Engine Vibration MUST READ!!!