A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8L 2011-2014 D4 Front strut "humming/harmonics" claimed by Audi to be Tire noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 05:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4

I have the *exact* same issue in my brand new 2018 B9 A4. EXACTLY.

Did you ever get any resolution to this? I am eager to hear.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yup. The solution is you have to buy special “noice cancelling” tires. They are specific to the s line bigger cars and A8 last time I checked.

I believe Audi’s issues lie somewhere in their use of aluminum throughout their lineup and resulting resonance with certain cement compostions. The noise cancelling tires have foam inside which greatly reduce vibration and therefore almost completely eliminate resonation throughout the front linkage (potentially transaxle) and cabin.

Maybe you can research the foam used and see if it’s possible to line another tire.

It’s a band-aid but one that is very effective - although you lose your choices of rubber with the pirelli oem tires.

As you know by dieselgate these companies are crooked as hell, so you will never get an honest response from anyone representing their brand unfortunately. Don’t waste your time.

Last edited by ffejrey; 09-24-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-20-2023, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Same issue on my 2017 Audi A8L

Originally Posted by ffejrey
Yup. The solution is you have to buy special “noice cancelling” tires. They are specific to the s line bigger cars and A8 last time I checked.

I believe Audi’s issues lie somewhere in their use of aluminum throughout their lineup and resulting resonance with certain cement compostions. The noise cancelling tires have foam inside which greatly reduce vibration and therefore almost completely eliminate resonation throughout the front linkage (potentially transaxle) and cabin.

Maybe you can research the foam used and see if it’s possible to line another tire.

It’s a band-aid but one that is very effective - although you lose your choices of rubber with the pirelli oem tires.

As you know by dieselgate these companies are crooked as hell, so you will never get an honest response from anyone representing their brand unfortunately. Don’t waste your time.
I have the 2017 A8L with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 275/35/20's. The harmonic droning sound is unbearable. I believe there has only been one response on this entire thread that provided an actual solution. That was the guy who said they replaced his Drive Shaft and the noise went away. As long as it was the same noise we are all hearing then this makes the most sense to try. It's interesting that it seems most everyone missed that he said it. I guess trying the sound canceling tires is an option but it's not solving the problem. I have been to the mechanic numerous times with a list of suggestions. They all come back with the same thing. Tires. Even though it's clearly not the tires. You would think they would be honest and at least say they had come across this same problem but I guess they just want to sell you tires? Doesn't make sense considering the tires they promote won't solve the problem. Just today, I went to the dealership to do a thorough inspection and they had a 2018 A8L for sale. I drove it to see if it sounded any different than mine with a completely different set of stock 265/40/20's. Nope. Same harmonic droning sound in the cabin. So it's evident on many, many A8's and the only person that said the sound is gone was the guy who had his drive shaft replaced...
Old 07-20-2023, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I too have the exact issue on my 2017 A8L. Im running Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4s which are top rated for everything. Doesnt matter. The conclusion I am getting from this entire thread is that the only guy who solved the issue had his Drive Shaft replaced. When looking deeper I have found a company JXB performance that actually makes Drive Shaft Carriers because the Stock carriers are made of a very thin rubber that allows the drive shaft to wobble like crazy. Check out the videos they show. This could lead to vibrations and frequencies running through the car I guess. I mean if the new drive shaft fixed that one guys problem, and aged drive shafts with the oem rubber carriers that go bad pretty quickly and enough that their are aftermarket parts made for them, then maybe that is the issue? I don't know for sure and replacing a Drive Shaft is probably ridiculously expensive as a "lets try it" option. Any thoughts?
Old 07-20-2023, 03:10 PM
Flagship addict

Received 116 Likes on 95 Posts

Interesting. Nether of mine bother me but I'll check them and see if I can get them to be quieter based on shaft load and isolating the speed ranges they complain at.

I'm on PSAS4s on both cars (all of my cars actually lol!) and I've never had anything like the noise you guys are talking about.
Old 07-22-2023, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 129 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Daniel S
I too have the exact issue on my 2017 A8L.
Hey bud.. Does the noise change with different speeds? What speed is it the loudest? What is the fastest you have driven the car..?
Old 07-23-2023, 03:06 AM
Super-Duper User

Received 485 Likes on 386 Posts

Could merge with https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...-invo-3047752/
Old 07-24-2023, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

I replaced the original tire’s with the Pirelli NCS tires in 2015 and the noise subsided significantly. It’s ever so slight on concrete pavement but not much of that around where I drive. Time for new tires anyway and going back with the Pirelli’s as they have been very good overall.