A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8L 2011-2014 D4 Front strut "humming/harmonics" claimed by Audi to be Tire noise

Old 09-28-2014, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jakematic
Exactly what I figured reading the Tire Rack reviews.

Me either, mine does it on grooved roads only - almost silent the rest of the time.
The first time you roll onto that type of road you think 'HOLY ___ what's wrong?'

I must say I was spoiled by my 19" Conti DW tires on the D3.
They were ultra quiet and performed like a rat on velcro.
Yup that's it!! Want to hear a nightmare? Now that I changed tire size the same sounds are produced on blacktop from 20-40 and still present on the freeway but moderately more quiet. (harmonic does not amplify nearly as much). Translation - my car now is somewhat quiet on most grooved surfaces but on blacktop city streets now makes the same obnoxious humming and bonking .

What I notice characteristically overall with both tires is akin to rubbing a wet finger across a wine glass or using those Tibetan singing bowls. Much of the time the sound is more quickly muted however under the right circumstances you could have a group of Monk's achieve a higher state of being within my cabin!
Old 09-28-2014, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ffejrey
1. The noise is clearly only occurring in the front of the vehicle. I sat in the back of my car, drove through problem areas, and stuck my ear to the rear tire well as much as possible (Heck I'll get in the trunk at this point!). Only when my head cleared the rear seats and I poked my head into the front of the car did the sound increase dramatically. Changing tires front to back have no effect where the sound occurs - it's always in the front of car.
Yep, only the front.
I think it may very well be transferred/amplified/worsened by something else, but no idea what.

Coming out of Akron OH (ironic huh?) last month it was the worst I've ever heard - couldn't turn the radio up loud enough and couldn't hear myself think.
My only solution was to put the hammer down and get off that stretch of road... same as I do on I-85 in SC.

I'd lose my mind if I had to hear it every day like you do.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jakematic
Yep, only the front.
I think it may very well be transferred/amplified/worsened by something else, but no idea what.

Coming out of Akron OH (ironic huh?) last month it was the worst I've ever heard - couldn't turn the radio up loud enough and couldn't hear myself think.
My only solution was to put the hammer down and get off that stretch of road... same as I do on I-85 in SC.

I'd lose my mind if I had to hear it every day like you do.
Yeah - I think you can tell by my verbosity how much this is affecting my mental health... I drive about 2-3000 miles a month. I woke up yesterday morning and heard my A8L singing to me in bed... I might have to be admitted soon if I am subjected to this much longer!!!!

How can it be purely tire noise if it's only from the front I tell ya!!!! Audi knows more than they admit, I truly believe this is a design defect that is only exploited under certain conditions. I also believe this was a hot button of the 2015 design...

If Audi can not fix the problem the least they can do is be honest where the harmonics are occurring. This is my stated mission and quest. Even if they won't help, we can use products such as this to paint our struts, control arms or other hollow areas which may be the end point where the acoustic resonance truly occurs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1-GAL-Acoustic-Dampening-Liquid-Vibration-Damping-Sound-Deadener-Compound-/171245173431?_trksid=p2054897.l4275
Old 09-29-2014, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ffejrey
I am very curious that you say your infinitis as well. When I drive other cars over the same road surfaces I hear plenty of flat tire noise but not the harmonics and the decibel level we hear inside the vehicle. Again I have driven in multiple cars with 20" and beyond wheels with even smaller side wall height.
I think we're talking about separate things.

When I talk about a road being resurfaced and parallel grooves, this is what I mean:

When they resurface the highways, this pattern causes the same kind of harmonic sounds you shared in your video. I don't think this is what you are talking about, though. I think you're hearing noises on regular freeways.

I think it might be a regional thing having to do with the construction of the highways in SoCal.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by needles
I think we're talking about separate things.

When I talk about a road being resurfaced and parallel grooves, this is what I mean:

When they resurface the highways, this pattern causes the same kind of harmonic sounds you shared in your video. I don't think this is what you are talking about, though. I think you're hearing noises on regular freeways.

I think it might be a regional thing having to do with the construction of the highways in SoCal.
Agreed, thanks for the picture. I will snap a photo of so cal freeways and put it up for comparison. My concern is because my car has been subject to these freeways for almost 50k and 4 years... the symptoms I hear are worse. I can hear the sounds on every road surface now except the softest of blacktop. Mostly the sound is fairly quiet; the freeway grooves are what seem to amplify and let the harmonics really chime...

I am so OCD about this currently (I rationalize to myself I am trying to understand what I am hearing) that I don't even listen to my radio much when I drive...

I really can't live with the harmonics, most may not care (or are lucky enough to have roads that don't exploit the issues) but it drives me up the wall. Unfortunately I will not be happy driving my car unless I can find the true root cause and potentially mitigate it.

The D4 A8L (and nwb) is such an amazingly dynamic car in so many respects, has an interior about as cool and classy as they get, mileage amazing for it's heft, handsome looks, and drives like a car half its size. I want to love her so bad... I would be making love to mein Audi right now if it weren't for her damn squeaky voice!
Old 09-29-2014, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Me too...

I have this same issue. It doesn't affect my mental health, but it is pretty bad on rough concrete highways. I don't believe it's a tire issue - I think there is some NVH that Audi did not successfully tune out of the suspension on these cars. If it's bad struts, then Audi should replace them.

Larry
Old 09-29-2014, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I don't mean to be a jerk here, but if this problem is affecting your "mental health," as you say, it's time for another car. If you don't want to pop for a new one, I would strongly recommend a 2013 or earlier Mercedes S550. Find one with the ABC (Active Body Control) option and 18" wheels and you are all set. In "Comfort" mode, you don't hear ANY road noise. In "Sport" mode, you can play "GoKart" on the public highways if you want. You should not let this obviously flawed, older Audi affect your well being and happiness. Lastly, there is a time to fish and a time to cut bait. You've "fished" with this car long enough. It's Miller Time now. Send this puppy down the road and go buy ANOTHER CAR!
Old 10-02-2014, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Streamliner
I don't mean to be a jerk here, but if this problem is affecting your "mental health," as you say, it's time for another car. If you don't want to pop for a new one, I would strongly recommend a 2013 or earlier Mercedes S550. Find one with the ABC (Active Body Control) option and 18" wheels and you are all set. In "Comfort" mode, you don't hear ANY road noise. In "Sport" mode, you can play "GoKart" on the public highways if you want. You should not let this obviously flawed, older Audi affect your well being and happiness. Lastly, there is a time to fish and a time to cut bait. You've "fished" with this car long enough. It's Miller Time now. Send this puppy down the road and go buy ANOTHER CAR!
I know, I know... Thank you for your thoughtful advice
Old 10-02-2014, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default So I have a 2014 A8 NWB loaner w 20's

I decided to give it the old college go one more time with 49,200 miles and contacted Beverly Hills Audi. They have 491 Google reviews and 4.9 stars. I figure they must have a higher volume of A8 sales than the average bear... So I drove the 120 miles or so yesterday and replaced my new goodyears with the stock sized contisports so the service department couldn't balk about non-oem tire size. Loudest my car has been yet, it would be downright alarming for anyone not understanding what they are hearing.

I want to believe (and hope) that the rest of the country has different freeways, but my car was singing and yelling 80-90% of the way there. Most of the time it's annoying but acceptable, about 10-20% of the time you honestly can not hear yourself think. I have new audio recordings that eclipse what I posted prior and I am going to buy a good decibel meter today just to put some numbers behind my experience.

The worst I heard yesterday is exponentially louder than any car I have ever been in on the freeway - honestly... and I drive ~50k miles a year and have been in enough cars in my time.

To give kudos... Beverly Hills Audi is a sight to be seen, they are a well oiled machine as a business. I almost felt like I was walking into Tiffanys everyone is so charming, attentive and well groomed. Their service department waiting room had a 2015 S8 and S3 to caress and fondle. I was given a 2014 A8 NWB free loaner with 4600 miles and Pirelli P zeros. Thanks Beverly Hills Audi, well done.

Guess what???? The 2014 is completely unacceptably loud too. It gets worse after 20-30 miles, the tires warm up and pressure builds inside... To put it in perspective when I got home in the late afternoon I went with my contractor to the hardware store in his 15 year old GMC full sized truck with knobby tires. It was heaven in his car compared to mine on the freeway. Honestly and sincerely...

What 'we' are hearing is a harmonic from the front struts, I am 99.9% confident now. It is dependent on road surface friction/vibration and unless your tires are 100% without flaw (or tire wear apparently) the problem is exponentially compounded. After driving a few hundred miles on my "old" continentals yesterday (8/32" tread left) and the pirelli p zero's, I am actually ecstatic about my new goodyear eagle sport a/s 275/40/20. (I wonder how long however...) It is again a 4.3" sidewall vs. the 4.1" of the 20 (and 4.5" sidewalls of the stock 19) inch tire size.

At this point I am calling out to A8 owners, I have driven 4 cars now that all exhibit the same underlying issue and it is NVH that Audi missed dramatically. If we cared enough this is clearly a class action issue in my opinion. I try not to put my neck out there in life unless I am pretty darn confident. I am also truthfully dumbfounded this manufacturing miss has not been more highlighted in media, forums, and dealt with more at a dealership service level. As my most recent SA said "the A8 should be a very quiet car."

Either 1. I am in the most unlucky part of the country for A8 owners (with 20's apparently), 2. No one who buys these cars needs to commute or drive them much on freeways or for extended distances 3. I happened to have driven 2 2011 and 2 2014 A8's which coincidentally all have the same glitch.

I will report back on what Beverly Hills says however I wanted to call them on my drive home and say "don't waste your time, you will never be able to please me."

What are your opinions as customers if we purchased a car whose front strut exhibit undesirable and unnecessary NVH characteristics? Should Audi only blame tires and keep their customer unaware of what is truly occurring?

One thing I am 100% aware of is at a corporate level Audi is aware of this flaw. Audi is also doing everything it can to keep dealerships and its customers unaware which to me does not breed brand loyalty unfortunately.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Me? I am keeping my head in the sand as my 2011 doesn't do this. :O

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A8L 2011-2014 D4 Front strut "humming/harmonics" claimed by Audi to be Tire noise