A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8L HEADLINER LEAKING...

Old 01-07-2017, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I am experiencing the same thing on my 2011. Left it outside the other day during heavy rain and found the passenger side footwell filled with water. Left for work and got a squealing sound like an electrical short. The sound increased as I increased speed leading me o believe that something was going terribly wrong. Tonight while going to dinner my wife said it sounded like it was coming from the windshield. I cracked the sunroof and the sound stopped leading me to believe it is the windshield. Will be taking it to get it replaced next week. Just hoping it doesn't rain.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Leaking windshield

Originally Posted by pdt6974
I am experiencing the same thing on my 2011. Left it outside the other day during heavy rain and found the passenger side footwell filled with water. Left for work and got a squealing sound like an electrical short. The sound increased as I increased speed leading me o believe that something was going terribly wrong. Tonight while going to dinner my wife said it sounded like it was coming from the windshield. I cracked the sunroof and the sound stopped leading me to believe it is the windshield. Will be taking it to get it replaced next week. Just hoping it doesn't rain.
Thanks for adding. I had forgotten that the same had happened to us as well. While driving to breakfast we heard the same squealing you described with it getting louder with speed and I was really alarmed. We got it to stop by closing fresh air vents. When opening them again the sound returned. I had assumed that some leaves or pine straw had gotten below the wipers but it has to have been the pressure allowing the air to whistle through the windshield gap. This is something that is just happening for no reason. Audi needs to do something about it. If I want a garage queen I will buy a collector car.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Leaking Windshield

To follow up with last years issue - Windshield was leaking at the top center - pulled away from the seal. So a friend has a bump shop and I had a Pilkerton windshield put in for $300. Looked good BUT the ACC and lane assist didn't work. Took it to the dealer to recalibrate the camera to the new glass but they said it wouldn't do it so I had to get an Audi OEM glass put in then recalibrate the camera which involves doing a four wheel alignment. $1500 later I'm fixed. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Just saying...sometimes a rock hits the windshield and

Originally Posted by Flyt17
To follow up with last years issue - Windshield was leaking at the top center - pulled away from the seal. So a friend has a bump shop and I had a Pilkerton windshield put in for $300. Looked good BUT the ACC and lane assist didn't work. Took it to the dealer to recalibrate the camera to the new glass but they said it wouldn't do it so I had to get an Audi OEM glass put in then recalibrate the camera which involves doing a four wheel alignment. $1500 later I'm fixed. Good luck.
cracks it so badly the windshield has to be replaced under insurance.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Flyt17
Problem solved for now...$6 tube of windshield sealant from Autozone, alcohol, roll of blue tape, 15 minutes, and a steady hand. After two torrential down pours and 100 miles of highway driving in the rain, no leaks, no squeal.

Permatex Tube flowable silicone windshield and glass sealer 81730-1 - Read Reviews on Permatex #81730-1

The sealant flows easily and fills in very well. Was actually surprised with the result. Will post pics later. Takes 24 hours to cure.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Leaking Windshield Fixed?

Thanks for the update. Have heard many say silicone "Not" the way to go but I have always heard it is if done right. Would love to see your pics when cured. Mine is still sitting in garage drying out. Thanks again.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Problem solved for now...$6 tube of windshield sealant from Autozone, alcohol, roll of blue tape, 15 minutes, and a steady hand. After two torrential down pours and 100 miles of highway driving in the rain, no leaks, no squeal.

Permatex Tube flowable silicone windshield and glass sealer 81730-1 - Read Reviews on Permatex #81730-1

The sealant flows easily and fills in very well. Was actually surprised with the result. Will post pics later. Takes 24 hours to cure.
My concern with doing that would be that silicone doesn't provide a meaningful amount of bond between the steel and glass. The windshield is structurally important for the car which is why they epoxy it on. I'd wonder how much strength is left in the original epoxy bond if it has let go enough to allow water intrusion.

Best,
Old 01-20-2017, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Epoxy or Silicone

That is a great point. How many more are out there--this is at least the 3rd instance of this happening at a specific point on the car (passenger top center) and wonder if it is a weak link in production causing this. More or less want a patch for now to buy time for a more thorough cause and solution. The amount of water all the sudden pouring in is something that just shouldn't happen much less repeatedly. And if it is a safety issue Audi should own up to it.

Thanks

Last edited by fencerider; 01-22-2017 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Add me to the list on this issue. Dealer wouldn't touch it under CPO and said that normally Audi would not cover this if the car is over 12K miles or 12 months into the original warranty.

I'm very disappointed. This seems to be a known issue and as usual Audi is doing everything it can from owning up to it.

It was interesting having the service adviser hand me back my keys saying Audi won't cover this as it was literally pouring outside. They wouldn't even give me a proper quote to do this out of pocket.

I had MANY cars and never experienced a leaking windshield. There are some things that Audi should just be ashamed of. I'm glad they are finally paying up for their conduct, even if I am not a beneficiary.

Still love my car and still hate dealing with the brand.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Amazing how these issues pop up as if they are timed! Just noticed a water leak yesterday on the passenger side as well. Also checked the sunroof, and could not see or feel any leaks from that area. I have checked the area of the windshield from the inside but again, could not feel anything. I will have to check the outside. I better take it to the dealer soon. Thanks to all for your postings.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A8L HEADLINER LEAKING...