A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8L HEADLINER LEAKING...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyVegasTT
Add me to the list on this issue. Dealer wouldn't touch it under CPO and said that normally Audi would not cover this if the car is over 12K miles or 12 months into the original warranty.

I'm very disappointed. This seems to be a known issue and as usual Audi is doing everything it can from owning up to it.

It was interesting having the service adviser hand me back my keys saying Audi won't cover this as it was literally pouring outside. They wouldn't even give me a proper quote to do this out of pocket.

I had MANY cars and never experienced a leaking windshield. There are some things that Audi should just be ashamed of. I'm glad they are finally paying up for their conduct, even if I am not a beneficiary.

Still love my car and still hate dealing with the brand.

Dealer should cover this under CPO. The following is straight from the CPO warranty:
"Your Audi technician is authorized to decide if a component is worn as opposed to having a factory defect. Warranty covers items that fail due to a defect in material and workmanship; warranty does not cover items that fail due to wear. Many components on your Certified pre-owned Audi will wear based on driving technique, exposure to elements or gradual normal deterioration. Items that have failed based on any one of these criteria are not considered to have a factory defect and would not be covered under your Audi Certified pre-owned Limited Warranty."
Old 02-19-2017, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry guys. I forgot to post my outcome on this issue.

So what I found out like all of you have already stated, the front glass seal to body gave way which caused the leakage in the cabin.

I had the glass replaced ($600.00). The shop just reset the sensors, but when I got on the road and used my cruise the lane assist and adaptive cruise would go out.

I got fed up and took it to the stealership. They had to do a full reset on all the front sensors. $1300.00 later, fixed.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A8L Headliner Leak / Windshield Seal

Bought a 2014 A8L in March. Have had for 8 months and only had one issue with dealer on performing alignment and getting car to drive straight again (car drove straight, no problems, but wanted to make sure everything was ok before out of warranty). Rained 5 days ago. Found water in passenger floorboard. Thought sunroof drains were problem as this had happened on my 2009 A8 (and thanks to this forum found about about lawsuit that Audi lost regarding the sunroof drains on that model). Pulled off wheel liner, ran weed whacker line thru. Perfectly clean. Attributed to my buddy not closing the sunroof all the way the 4 days earlier. Then, the second rain and puddles in passenger floorboard. Got out the hose and found problem quickly. Windshield seal had released between the center mirror and passenger door pillar. Very little pressure from inside glass made the gap so obvious. Incredible to see that other Audi's have the same problem in the same area. I then correlated this to the extra wind noise I had heard that showed up two weeks before on the passenger side. This does appear to be a manufacturer defect. Will be headed to the dealer here in Houston to see how they will handle. Of course, just crossed the 50K mile mark as well. Drying out myself as no one else will care about your vehicle more than you. Will update on what I find out for others in the future.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Told by dealer that this was not very common, although they new just who to send me to for resealing windshield. Now back to quiet and leak free.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

https://blog.nationwide.com/windshield-leaking/

"

Possible causes

One possible source of the leak is an unnoticed pinhole in a seam hidden under the molding, Vandale notes, adding that while small this can cause big problems.

Windshield leaks actually happen less than they once did. “Windshields used to be put in with a rubber gasket, then [manufacturers] went to a butyl tape and now they have gone to urethane and the windshield is actually part of the structure of the body,” he explains.

Still, there can be skips in the urethane and as a
result you don’t get a good seal, Vandale notes. Or, if the windshield itself has been replaced at some point, there’s also a chance of windshield leaking if a proper seal isn’t obtained, he says.

Finding windshield leaks

To test for a leak, Vandale recommends gently showering the car with water. The lower the water pressure used, the faster the vehicle will actually leak, he explains. If a hose is put on full force, the water will bounce right off.

Also, if you have a wind noise in the vehicle, Vandale recommends using soap to detect the leak because where wind can get in, so can water. “We do a soap test where you take soap
on a wash mitt and you go all around the window and then you turn the heater blower on high defrost,” he says. “You make sure the windows and the doors are all closed, and when you stand outside, you’ll see bubbles coming out.”

How to fix a leaky windshield

If you find the leak, it can be relatively easy to do a windshield leak repair with the right materials. “Never use silicone,” Vandale stresses. Silicone expands and contracts in the heat and the cold. What’s more, once you’ve put silicone on a seam, you can’t reseal it with the proper sealant because it won’t adhere to the silicone, he says.

Instead, he urges those seeking to fix pinholes to use special seam-sealers that can be acquired online. These sealers come out of a tube and can be easily applied. If the pinhole is underneath the molding on your windshield, the molding can be pried up a bit and the seam-sealer squeezed in. It will dry in just a couple of minutes and the molding can be pushed back in place.

Meanwhile, if the leak is caused by a skip in the windshield sealant, Vandale recommends using something that always stays pliable, like a butyl sealant. To apply this, a caulking gun is needed. “We use an air-caulking gun so that it’s done under pressure,” he says.

After letting the sealant dry for a few minutes, Vandale recommends repeating the water test. If all goes well, you will be free of leaks and happy to be in your car no matter the weather."
Old 01-09-2018, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Ritz
Has the car ever been hit? The windshield is epoxied to the body. The seal is usually pretty foolproof, but things can go off the reservation if the car has been hit or if you have a replacement windshield.

Best,
It is 2014 A8 with 31k when I bought it few weeks ago. One owner, super clean(like new), no accidents. As i reported in other thread I had air noise problem by sunroof. Luckily you guys pointed towards the right direction of windshield.
Called local audi they said yes we know but your factory warranty ran out 2 months ago. Stopped by at large indy body/glass shop, adviser said hey I used to work at audi bodyshop just go there. I thought ok fair. Called them, the girl goes well we own separate glass co so you have to go there. Of course she gave me wrong # so as I was driving by Safelite decided to stop there. Sure it's $120 to take it out and re-seal, but we will order replacement non OEM glass just incase. Picked up the car today. Noise is gone. They said it's unbelievable and took me back to show the glass. Both the front desk and tech guys were truly amused. One picture shows that it's original glass, second shows the seal on the side, the 3rd shows the top where the SEAL is missing. Crazy.
Of course the bad news is that the original window cracked.
I'm glad it's all fixed before any water damage but at the same time you just wonder.. Do all of the cars were assembled during Octoberfest?
Attached Thumbnails A8L HEADLINER LEAKING...-img_1490.jpg   A8L HEADLINER LEAKING...-img_3848-2.jpg   A8L HEADLINER LEAKING...-img_0304-2.jpg  
Old 12-06-2018, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry 4 years old A8 L Leak in passenger site Windshield Seal

Hi,

Any news from Audi to take responsibility from this typical issue with high end cars. I think if this will not be resolved by Audi I will think twice before ever by other Audi. It is ridicules if they have not have recall and replacing or fixing all windshield in these cars. It is many report on the same issue just in this forum. Please let me know if is any lawyers out there to start a class action suit against them. I am in. Please let me know.
The following users liked this post:
Yatta218 (11-11-2019)
Old 12-07-2018, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stickman1970
Hello Forum.

My 2012 A8L sunroof may be leaking.

I was going through the car wash last week and noticed the roof center console started leaking when the car wash was going through its rinse cycle.

Needless to say I was shocked.

Today, I ran bottles of water down the front corner drain tubes. The water seemed like it was flowing freely.

When I poured the water at the center of the sunroof frame, the center console started leaking again.

Am I dealing with a faulty sunroof frame, or is there a drain tube at the center of the sunroof.

As anyone had this problem with their A8?

Any assistance/advice anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Had same problem with my older D3 ( i have a D4 now)
so under the sunroof you have 2 drains. they get block from debris
easy fix, just go to your mechanic and with high air presser he opens the drains.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Dayle

Originally Posted by fencerider
should be straight. Was one owner dealer serviced local car for 4 years. History was all clean. Have had it a year and no leaks. All sudden a month ago went to get in it had water pool in passenger floorboard. Just don't know

Thanks
mate I have same problem but with the drivers side foot well. Also my sunroof leaks and the rear passenger side and it has started out of nowhere
Old 11-11-2019, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Yes, i also have a 2012 audi a8L that is also leaking from the upper center console

Originally Posted by stickman1970
Hello Forum.

My 2012 A8L sunroof may be leaking.

I was going through the car wash last week and noticed the roof center console started leaking when the car wash was going through its rinse cycle.

Needless to say I was shocked.

Today, I ran bottles of water down the front corner drain tubes. The water seemed like it was flowing freely.

When I poured the water at the center of the sunroof frame, the center console started leaking again.

Am I dealing with a faulty sunroof frame, or is there a drain tube at the center of the sunroof.

As anyone had this problem with their A8?

Any assistance/advice anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.
I think it's another defective manufacturer issue on this car. Every since this car made 90,000 miles on I've having the roof leaking water, constant ABS braking issues since 75,000 miles. Rear coolant pipe leak you name it. Im done with Audi after I get rid of this car.

Quick Reply: A8L HEADLINER LEAKING...