A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A8L/S8 B&O Alternative for an Audiophil

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A8L/S8 B&O Alternative for an Audiophil

I am very close to pulling a trigger on 2013-2015 A8L or S8. And while I am not yet sure which way am I leaning (comfy or sporty) I did have the chance to listen to BOSE and B&O, and it made a world of difference.

I heard that people say that B&O is not that much better but, I beg to differ.

However pool of cars that have B&O are not that large and if I do choose a vehicle with it, most likely I will have to sacrifice something else.

So the question for fellow audiophiles is... "What about the after market systems? Did someone replace BOSE with something that is just as good (or even better) as B&O. I say this from the perspective of someone who listens to FLAC or CD, and not MP3, so I am looking for the opinion of like-minded individuals."

Thank you : )
Old 06-04-2016, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry, no after market experience. I skipped the B&O on my 2007 when ordered. Decided for it in the 2016 and I also think it is a huge improvement. As for resale, when the time comes, it certainly will not return value but I sure am enjoying it. :-)
Old 06-04-2016, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I just bought my 2015 A8l with B&O and I'm not that impressed. Granted, I haven't tried quality inputs like the SD card yet. . Next on the agenda.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom C
I just bought my 2015 A8l with B&O and I'm not that impressed. Granted, I haven't tried quality inputs like the SD card yet. . Next on the agenda.
Yes, get to high quality inputs like SD card, which I have yet to even tackle. At least get to high bit rate (or better) files on a corded device. Meaning 320kbps AAC for example. Or better, those antique actual original CD's. Not sat radio or digital FM--though better than it used to be. Definitely not A2DP via bluetooth off some phone, and let alone what the phone recording bit rate was to start with (or streaming). Not burned CD's with crappy bit rates or dubious sources. Not iTunes downloaded down at 256, etc....

Find my post as well for how via hidden menu you can kick up the pre amp levels. Once I got that figured out a month or so ago, the smile factor went up a lot. Deep persuasive and unmuddied bass with the right tracks as well, even though strong bass was not thought of as connected to B&O. Puts a lot different point on the number "34."
The following users liked this post:
polo1 (11-16-2019)
Old 06-04-2016, 09:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by david@eoxcomputers.com

So the question for fellow audiophiles is... "What about the after market systems? Did someone replace BOSE with something that is just as good (or even better) as B&O. I say this from the perspective of someone who listens to FLAC or CD, and not MP3, so I am looking for the opinion of like-minded individuals."

Thank you : )

For the price of the B&O system upgrade, you can replace the Bose with aftermarket gear and get a system that is much, much better than the B&O while keeping the MMI fully intact and operational.

mObridge DA1 preamp $650
Any DSP of your choice $300 - 1000
Amp(s) of your choice (wide range of prices)
speakers (wide range of prices)
Old 06-05-2016, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, but that includes taking things apart and putting them together, which may or may not fit or work as well as before. Then its troubleshooting, finding rattles, and maintenance which is not done through Audi.

I think it really comes down to how much time you have on your hands... at one point I had the time to let cars sit in the shop and to come back to them later with issues. Now I barely have time to go to Audi which has a loaner waiting for me.

In addition, if you don't tend to keep your vehicles for a long period of time, a custom sound system is a setback when it comes to resale, at least to me it would be on a big body luxury car. I would never by someone else's project.

You can always do custom at an expense of time... unless that's your hobby that you make time for, then it is different.

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
For the price of the B&O system upgrade, you can replace the Bose with aftermarket gear and get a system that is much, much better than the B&O while keeping the MMI fully intact and operational.

mObridge DA1 preamp $650
Any DSP of your choice $300 - 1000
Amp(s) of your choice (wide range of prices)
speakers (wide range of prices)
Old 06-05-2016, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyVegasTT
Yeah, but that includes taking things apart and putting them together, which may or may not fit or work as well as before. Then its troubleshooting, finding rattles, and maintenance which is not done through Audi.

I think it really comes down to how much time you have on your hands... at one point I had the time to let cars sit in the shop and to come back to them later with issues. Now I barely have time to go to Audi which has a loaner waiting for me.

In addition, if you don't tend to keep your vehicles for a long period of time, a custom sound system is a setback when it comes to resale, at least to me it would be on a big body luxury car. I would never by someone else's project.

You can always do custom at an expense of time... unless that's your hobby that you make time for, then it is different.
Perfect response. Very few want a modified car
Old 06-06-2016, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by david@eoxcomputers.com

However pool of cars that have B&O are not that large and if I do choose a vehicle with it, most likely I will have to sacrifice something else.
Actually the opposite is true. If someone is will to pay an extra $6k for the B&O, then a measly $1500 - $3k for ACC and other goodies is chump change.

In almost all cases those cars that have B&O also have executive seating, rear entertainment, and possibly a refrigerator too. It is almost dead certain if you find a W12.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

I noticed a lot of them had B&0. Certainly in S8 and W12, but also some 4.0T. Occasionally TDI's. And on the other hand, some even W12's did not have it, nor some other common upper end options. "Stripper" W12's even exist... . I picked up on that more because I was consciously looking for a 5 seater W12, which seems more associated with the less equipped ones since it also automatically means no upper end rear seat Barcalounger type stuff. Found a few like that, even net of a no black on black spec, but then B&0 would be one of the common things missing on at least half of them.

FWIW, I don't even value B&0 at $6K plus and have it. But, of course I have it in a late model, slightly used. And on the board, the owners are already transitioning from more original new to mostly used. Right off the bat, I let someone else "pay" the first close to ⅓ "cost" of it for the 3200 miles involved. And honestly I expect a bunch of options like B&0 add marginally to price of car. I looked at NADA just now for a 15,000 mile 2015 4.0T and got $3,350 as retail value of it as an option. For a 2014 w/ 25,000 I got $3,075 as the estimate. I'm not even convinced those numbers are not too generous focused on just that one line item.

Meanwhile if I go aftermarket, start with the cost and hassle. But then I pay "new" instead of ⅓ or half less than new like I do for a used vehicle in general, yet on the Audi OE I get balance of 4/50 warranty. As already pointed out it is also dubious for resalability. Certainly I cut my available market way down and probably eliminate Audi dealers even wanting it at all. Outright can't be CPO'ed either. I view almost anything modded on a car that isnt an OE based set up as a value subtract--wheels, stereo, suspension tweaks, body mods, chips, air boxes, etc. If easily removed/cosmetic, not a big deal of course. Sometimes you worry about whether something has affected vehicle electronics and works 100%, other times you worry if car was driven/used hard. As a buyer of many used Audis (and others) over the years, a warning sign to look elsewhere.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-06-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

We are lucky with these Audi cars that have MOST bus. Upgrading to aftermarket is very easy and non-invasive. No need to cut into factory wires. The mObridge is so brilliantly easy to connect and restore back to stock.

Quick Reply: A8L/S8 B&O Alternative for an Audiophil