A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accessing and Playing Multimedia on MMI - Tips and Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Accessing and Playing Multimedia on MMI - Tips and Tricks

I have been using my old 160Gb iPod Classic to play music in my previous Audis. With the newer versions of the MMI now supporting album art, taking delivery of my latest Audi renewed my interest to find a solution to easily transfer my music and playlists to SD card. There are apparently at least two reasons (for me) for playing media from SD Cards: (a) Album art is not supported with the older iPods but is displayed when playing mp3's from SD; and (b) with my latest Audi having the optional Bang & Olufsen speaker system, it has for quality reasons become more important to play music from the best possible source. I understand that one will get better quality playing the music from SD Card as opposed to playing it from a device like an iPod, because in the former instance, the processing is done by the MMI system, whilst in the latter instance, it is done by the device (iPod in my instance.) Supposedly the MMI system has a better processor.

I initially had difficulty finding a solution to easily transfer my playlists and music (which I manage with Apple's iTunes) to SD Card, but eventually came across a program called iSyncr, and more in particular the Windows Desktop app of that program. iSyncr is actually an Android app, used to sync music and playlists (managed by way of iTunes) to Android devices. The Android version has a Windows PC Desktop companion. The PC app can be downloaded from the iSyncr website and I believe it is free. (I have purchased the iSyncr Android app some time ago and have been using it for some years now to sync my music to my (Android) phones and tablets, so I'm not sure if owning the Android version is a pre-requisite for getting the PC version)

In any event, with Audi's love of SD Cards, I'm sure many Audi owners are looking for an easy way to sync their music library (or part thereof) easily to SD Card and I have therefore prepared a "How To" to help others who have the need to to this. Click on the pdf below to download the guide.

Edit: Guide updated 2015-05-02

The idea is to add some more trips and tricks concerning the MMI to the guide at a later stage.

Last edited by BFN949; 05-02-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great instructional info. I'm going to try this later on today.