A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is there a lag between european and US?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why is there a lag between european and US?

Articles suggest that the new Audi A8 with the Matrix LED headlights will be in dealers in Europe or maybe Germany in November. My dealer says that this new vehicle, that they are apparently calling a 2015 model in the USA, won't be in the USA until spring or maybe later.

I suspect that there is not one production line making 2014 Audi A8's and another production line making 2015 Audi A8's at the same time, is there? if not, then why such a difference in deliveries? Boat aren't that slow.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

From what I have read it has everything to do with the laws in the US stating that the driver must be able to turn off the high-beams. As the new Audi this isn't an option, again from what I have read, they are not allowed to import the car here. I have also read they are working with lawmakers on this.

As to your production line question, No. There is only one production line. On the line the parts are brought to the individual stations as needed thus they can produce both cars on the same line.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Homologation
Old 09-19-2013, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

The lag time probably has to do with getting government certifications. The PI'd A8 will have several updated technologies, including lighting systems, etc, and likely needs to be re-certified here. Government certification is a very expensive and lengthy process. Before Audi sets up it's U.S. specs for its vendors and its assembly line, they need to have the model and all its components pass the U.S. certification process. This really does involve EVERY component on the car---which is why U.S. launches lag Europe, and why Europe gets all options, but U.S. customers do not. For example, a few years ago a forum member was complaining about not being able to order a specific steering wheel option that was available in Europe, but not available here in the U.S. He was told by AoA that was because Audi hadn't had it certified to import here.

Lazydog is correct about the matrix headlamps. As I've discussed on several prior threads on this forum, the technology runs afoul of U.S. DOT regulations that require vehicles to have manually operable hi-beams---whereas Audi's matrix units have no manual control. Audi and other manufacturers are in discussions with the DOT about changing this reg, but even if it's changed, the headlamps will then have to go through the certification process, which could make for a delayed introduction situation...Not good if you're looking to order a "refreshed" 2015 MY A8 early on and want those matrix headlamps.

Last edited by derfA8L; 09-19-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

It seems crazy to me to make both cars at the same time. I would think that they'd wait to release the car worldwide when it has been certified here. (Sounds awfully self-centered as I think about it, but Americans tend to be that way, I guess)

The idea of running a production line that are producing two similar but different year model cars at the same time sounds like a recipe for trouble to me.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by navin in KC
It seems crazy to me to make both cars at the same time. I would think that they'd wait to release the car worldwide when it has been certified here. (Sounds awfully self-centered as I think about it, but Americans tend to be that way, I guess)

The idea of running a production line that are producing two similar but different year model cars at the same time sounds like a recipe for trouble to me.
Not really if you think about it. Parts are delivered to the production line as needed. The car is the same under the outer skin and most manufactures know this and know they can make two or more types of cars on the same line.

I don't blame them for getting the newest model out as soon as possible. Just because the USA doesn't play ball doesn't mean they should stop release for other countries.

Only reason I know this is because I used to work for BMW for a while back int the last 80's. They make the 7 and the 5 on the same line or at least they used to.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, but it's kind of crazy to be releasing 2015 models in September, 2013. Personally I'm glad we won't be getting them here for a while since I just got my 2014 S8 2 months ago--I would at least like to have the latest and greatest for a little while longer!

Maybe I'm just prejudiced, but I really like the un-refreshed look better.