A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adaptive cruise control problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

That's uncharted territory, as far as I know. I believe Audi intentionally made the cruise control so it would be entirely non functional if there was an issue. This would preclude a driver dependent on the adaptive function from forgetting that part was no longer functioning and causing an accident. If you can get it to act as a normal cruise control, it would be by using VCDS to tell the car it was built without adaptive cruise.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes i know thats exactly what i meant using VCDS to program the car as if it didnt have adaptive cruise, im sure alot of people who got the drivers assist package never cared or liked the adaptive cruise after using it for a while, but in the a8 it comes bundled together with blindspot, lane assist and parking sensors which are great to have.

there must be a way in programming somehow to go from ACC TO CC that would make this car perfect as i hate car applying brakes on its own and keeping distance from the car ahead just so they can keep driving slow and not move and i think it also wears the brakes more
Old 10-31-2016, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Like Jack said it's uncharted territory. I know several people tried this in the D3 and it wasn't possible as the cruise control modules are different.

I think your best bet is to replace the defective sensor and have the system aligned by the dealer. I'm not saying you can't do it yourself, I'm saying that if you do you'll have to figure out how to do it as no one here can help as it's never been done. I know when I was trying to figure out how to get mine working in the D3 I came across an article where someone fitted the 2 sensor system to an A6 and aligned it themselves so it's probably possible. It will come down to whether or not you want to put in the time and research to figure it out or just pay the dealer to do it for you.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Here is an alternative to the dealer sensor alignment jig. Build your own.
(See section 7 of the OP)

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...-done-2886241/
Old 10-31-2016, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Here is an alternative to the dealer sensor alignment jig. Build your own.
(See section 7 of the OP)

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...-done-2886241/
I wonder if we can retrofit regular cruise in a car with acc, i rather spend the money in modules to convert rather then be at the dealer each time sensor goes bad, need wheel alignment or calibration takes a turn i think 800 is way too much to calibrate this everytime
Old 11-01-2016, 02:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Wheel alignment generally shouldn't effect calibration unless it needs a big change, they just like to tell you it could. How often have you had problems? This shouldn't be a regular thing, so how much you pay 'every time' should really be this once, unless you hit something or run into curbs parking on a regular basis. Those sensors don't often actually fail that often, either. Failing to properly fix this will negatively affect resale as well, so you'll pay for it no matter what. Sorry bud, while you can try to minimize the cost by doing some of your own work and diagnosis, the best thing is just to bite the bullet and fix it.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
Wheel alignment generally shouldn't effect calibration unless it needs a big change, they just like to tell you it could. How often have you had problems? This shouldn't be a regular thing, so how much you pay 'every time' should really be this once, unless you hit something or run into curbs parking on a regular basis. Those sensors don't often actually fail that often, either. Failing to properly fix this will negatively affect resale as well, so you'll pay for it no matter what. Sorry bud, while you can try to minimize the cost by doing some of your own work and diagnosis, the best thing is just to bite the bullet and fix it.
+1. And on wheel alignment, honestly if it needs a really big change, something is wrong/worn and should be straightened out. If sensor is out of whack, it probably goes back to either car talking a hit or something in suspension taking big hit or otherwise being screwed up. Said another way, put body back to new and suspension the same and it should logically line up same as factory.

If it is literally a failed sensor only and out of warranty, like many other calibrated parts I would just take best shot first at returning the replacement to prior position. A hunch though is it was knocked up to begin with, maybe breaking it. In that realm, can't help. May be a price of buying a used one w/out having info on all the details/issues.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

I dont have a problem buying new sensor and paying the dealer 800 to calibrate it but i rather spend 2k and retro fit or program he car with regular cruise, ive seen some a6 with blindspot and lane assist but they have regular cruise so im sure there is a way but need someone more knowledgeable then myself to tackle it and with all the right tools and programs required as vcds cant do everything i cant even get into engine module coding its greyed out
Old 11-02-2016, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

I changed one of my acc sensor and i have the error for component protection.... is there any way we can remove that without going to dealer ?
Old 11-02-2016, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Component protection on a sensor? How odd. I think that is a dealer thing. You must have a used sensor, I know people go to the dealer for MMI CP, so I'd expect that to be the case. Never heard of anything going into CP on a D4.

Quick Reply: Adaptive cruise control problem