A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any experience putting Xpel Ultimate on D4 headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any experience putting Xpel Ultimate on D4 headlights?

I was told to not do this to my 2016 Porsche a year ago (can't remember exactly why). Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a D4 (2017 S8+ in my case)? Thanks.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I had it installed on my 2016 A8L in January and have had no issues.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I believe Xpel uses a slightly different film designated for headlights due to the heat generated by the lights. I've had no problems whatsoever on mine.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

The LED lights put out a fraction of the heat of HID/xenon, which puts out a tiny fraction of traditional incandescent bulbs. You don't have to worry about heat.
I have it on mine as well.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent. Thanks everyone.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default heat is not the issue. UV is.

Originally Posted by audirb
I was told to not do this to my 2016 Porsche a year ago (can't remember exactly why). Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a D4 (2017 S8+ in my case)? Thanks.
That being said, I doubt if it is any worse than Sol's UV nor the damage from stones, etc. If it saves one headlight from a rock throw it's more than worth it.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Xpel on my LED headlights when I bought the car....no issues seen
Old 05-30-2017, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Gents and Ladies,

Just bought a brand new S8+ a couple days ago (Canada). Did some research on the coatings and in particular, the 3M offering. Didn't seem to be too well received. When the dealer suggested a 3M "film", I told him I was skeptical due to fading issues that I had read. He backed up and told me that 3M had become a bit of a generic term and that they only used Xpel. It seems like a pretty well reviewed product.

Just bought the better half a new Q7 a few hours ago. The cost to put on the Xpel coating was pretty compelling (in my opinion). My only concern is reading articles that suggested it should be replaced before ten years. Does this make sense?

After the duration/life of the film (or any film) is there a discernible difference on the body between the parts protected by the film and the parts protected by a good carnuba wax/compound?

The main elements I will personally battle are (1) wind/dust and (2), sun.

Thanks in advance for your consideration... Love the S8 and finally love driving again after 30+ years of driving great trucks. Cheers!
Old 05-30-2017, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

If the top of the line Xpel Ultimate, it has a clear cot top layer so it will mimic the finish of the paint when waxed. If you add a coating like Ceramic Pro 9H, CQuartz Pro or Opti-Coat Pro Plus, you can store your waxes and such in your garage as they will not be needed. The Ultimate has a 10 year warranty and I would expect with proper care should last longer than that.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

XPel sells special headlight kits on their website. They are a thicker and harder film than the XPel Ultimate, and are pre-cut to the headlight shape.

I have installed them myself on 3 Audi cars and a Mercedes. The process takes about 30-45 minutes and requires a heat gun, and a spray bottle with alcohol/water mixture. The rest of the tools needed are provided by XPel (i.e. the film, and the plastic squeegie)

FYI - the D4 Audi headlights were probably the easiest to install because they have the least amount of curvature compared to my other cars.

Process is simple. Clean headlights. Remove backing from film and spray it with copious amount of water/alcohol mix. Position a corner of film on the headlight. The film starts off flat so there will be bubbles as you try to make it curve to the light. This is where the heat gun comes in. Gently warm the film and use the squeegie to push out the bubble. As you continue this process the film will take the shape of the headlight. Just make sure there is lots of water under the film. You will use the squeegie to push the water out eventually but having the water there helps allow the film to slip into proper position.

When finished, it takes about 2 weeks for all of the water under the film to dry out. During this time the film looks milky/cloudy but this is normal. It will eventually dry out and look clear.

Last edited by subterFUSE; 05-31-2017 at 08:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Any experience putting Xpel Ultimate on D4 headlights?