A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever mod their lower rear valence for the newer tips?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Here. Do a search for the appropriate part numbers and they'll come up. This is my local dealer, but you can try your local one, not that it makes any difference. Not all of the dealers offer the discount.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks all! exactly what I need. Price for OEM is not too much different than the ones from China that include all these parts. Obviously OEM is the way to go. They do make inserts that make the exhaust, from the inside, look like quad exits. Not sure if I care that much.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So, have anyone actually done this yet? I took a good look at the bumper just now. Removal seems pretty straightforward, although might have to remove the rear wheel to get to one of the screws that holds the bumper on. It's about 2-3 inches from the wheel, although a socket wrench with the correct bit might work. And then the bottom of the bumper has a bunch of screws.

BUT, what appears to be the hardest part, and if I recall from my 2006 A6, the exhaust tips that will have to be removed are actually welded to the exhaust pipe. I don't think you can just twist them off or really cut them off easily. That's where I think I'd need a shop to help. And of course painting. Might get an estimate from my guy to see what he would charge.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sharp look!
Old 11-10-2015, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Now thinking of the S8 diffuser and quad tips. The diagrams on the audi parts site don't show anything with quad tips. Weird...
Old 11-10-2015, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Think I found it, different section. shows around 4 pieces just to make up the lower bumper portion! unless I'm reading it wrong. But under exhaust sytem on the diagrams, doesn't show quad tips. That is still strange to me.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just cut off the old round tips .... you really can't see anything
Old 11-10-2015, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I assume these have to be cut off, can't be unscrewed as they're welded on correct? And this is if i do the W12 bumper and not the S8.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So, I figured, what the hell, how HARD could is possibly be to remove the lower rear bumper, right? And hey, who needs the correct tools, right? yeah...no.

Actually, it's easy in theory. Three screws in the wheel well behind the tires on each side. Hard to get to without removing the wheels but doable. Then another 6 or 8 screws underneath the bumper, easy peasy (getting them back in...not as easy, still have 2 screws laying on the garage floor, but I digress).

Pulling off the bumper, fine. Just held on with clips. BUT don't do it!!!!!!!! I didn't take it all the way off when I realized there are wires connected to the lower portion. Not sure why since the sensors aren't down there but alas, there is a wire or two running the length of the lower bumper. I'm sure I could disconnect them but since I hadn't ordered a new lower bumper yet, why bother.

So, semi easy-ish job but the real issue, which I now have my answer to, is that the exhaust tips don't just unscrew or come off easily. Clearly they are tack welded somehow and I couldn't muscle them off with just gloves on.

Answer to all issues: have a body shop deal with it all when they paint the new bumper, assuming I ever get it.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

The shop can remove them. I can't seem to find OEM tips. Best I can find, is ones like these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/281284272249?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

Quick Reply: Anyone ever mod their lower rear valence for the newer tips?