AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/)
-   -   Audi A8 Tinting (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/audi-a8-tinting-2822164/)

ivg 02-19-2012 03:39 PM

Audi A8 Tinting

I am new to this forum, and am a new convert... My current lease is ending in the first week of June (2009 X6 5.0) and I can't wait to get in to my new Audi A8l... I already put it on order to be delivered in late May.

Phantom Black exterior and Nugat Brown Interior with black Alcantara headliner, B&O sound, 4zone climate, premium, coldweather and driver assistance packages, led lights and dual paned glass...

Well, now to the business at hand - I am interested in tinting the side and back windows and my dealer quoted me a grand because of the fact that they have to take out rear seats or something along those lines to get back at the rear window... I wanted to hear forum members experiences in terms of pricing for a8 tinting.. and if anyone has recommendations of where to go in fairfield/white plains area it would be much appreciated. I have a sneaking suspicion that the dealer's tinters are trying to rip me off... but who knows...

thanks in advance

ivg 02-19-2012 03:49 PM

Sorry for double posting, but for some reason I can't figure out how to edit my post, by I just remembered that I had some additional burning questions that I could not find answers to online...

Firstly, about ipod integration - when its connected to the MMI do you see albumart or no?

Secondly about iphone bluetooth integration - first I do understand that it does not support custom phone labels from your iphone address book - you know when you create custom labels for each one of the phone numbers - for example if you have a contact that has a US cell phone a UK cellphone and Spanish cellphone you would have a label for each such as "mobile (US)"; "mobile (UK)" etc... and most of my contacts are like that. also i have a number of contacts with more than 5-6 numbers and I understand not all of them will display... I was wandering if there is a workaraound for that - for example my 09 BMW reads custom labels... in anycase all help and information in this area will be much appreciated.

Thirdly the Audi website says that each MMI profile can have no more than 2000 address book entries - what does this mean - does it mean 2000 contacts or 2000 fields such as each number and each address is an entry - because in that case I am screwed - I would have more entries than permitted in the profile.

and lastly, is there a feature that will allow me to send addresses from my computer (google maps) directly to my navigation - like you can do with a BMW?

Thanks for all the answers in advance

xradman 02-19-2012 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by ivg (Post 24264285)
I am new to this forum, and am a new convert... My current lease is ending in the first week of June (2009 X6 5.0) and I can't wait to get in to my new Audi A8l... I already put it on order to be delivered in late May.

Phantom Black exterior and Nugat Brown Interior with black Alcantara headliner, B&O sound, 4zone climate, premium, coldweather and driver assistance packages, led lights and dual paned glass...

Well, now to the business at hand - I am interested in tinting the side and back windows and my dealer quoted me a grand because of the fact that they have to take out rear seats or something along those lines to get back at the rear window... I wanted to hear forum members experiences in terms of pricing for a8 tinting.. and if anyone has recommendations of where to go in fairfield/white plains area it would be much appreciated. I have a sneaking suspicion that the dealer's tinters are trying to rip me off... but who knows...

thanks in advance

With the new D4 A8 (2011 and up for the US), you do not have to take the rear seat out to do the back windshield. That used to be the case for D3 A8 which among tinters was known to be one of the hardest cars to tint. I would suggest taking your car to someone else. I got my A8 tinted with 50% ceramic film (Johnson InsulatIR) for $400 for 4 side windows and back windshield by a highly reputable tinter in Northern VA.

xradman 02-19-2012 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by ivg (Post 24264290)
Sorry for double posting, but for some reason I can't figure out how to edit my post, by I just remembered that I had some additional burning questions that I could not find answers to online...

Firstly, about ipod integration - when its connected to the MMI do you see albumart or no?

Secondly about iphone bluetooth integration - first I do understand that it does not support custom phone labels from your iphone address book - you know when you create custom labels for each one of the phone numbers - for example if you have a contact that has a US cell phone a UK cellphone and Spanish cellphone you would have a label for each such as "mobile (US)"; "mobile (UK)" etc... and most of my contacts are like that. also i have a number of contacts with more than 5-6 numbers and I understand not all of them will display... I was wandering if there is a workaraound for that - for example my 09 BMW reads custom labels... in anycase all help and information in this area will be much appreciated.

Thirdly the Audi website says that each MMI profile can have no more than 2000 address book entries - what does this mean - does it mean 2000 contacts or 2000 fields such as each number and each address is an entry - because in that case I am screwed - I would have more entries than permitted in the profile.

and lastly, is there a feature that will allow me to send addresses from my computer (google maps) directly to my navigation - like you can do with a BMW?

Thanks for all the answers in advance

1. Album Art: No album art with iPod/iPhone connected via cable unless you have the cable with red grommet and updated MMI. Search the forum for red ipod cable. I don't think anyone with A8 in the US has the updated combo yet. You get Album Art with music in your Jukebox (3000 file limit) and SD cards (4000 file limit). Album Art has to be 800 x 800 pixels or less.

2. iPhone BT Integration: I don't know about custom labels. However if your contact has multiple numbers, MMI will list them and ask you to select the number you want to dial by numerical label (ie. 1 Home, 2 Work, 3 Mobile, etc)

3. MMI Limit: I'm pretty sure that has to be 2000 contacts. I have ~500 contacts and each contact has more than 4 fields filled out.

4. I don't have SIM card for active MMI, so I can't really comment on whether that is an option. However, I do have a workaround. I search for whatever address/business on my iPhone maps. I then save the business/address to my Contact. The contact will then sync with MMI and you can then use the navigation to look up the address in your newly synced contact.

ivg 02-20-2012 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by xradman (Post 24264301)
With the new D4 A8 (2011 and up for the US), you do not have to take the rear seat out to do the back windshield. That used to be the case for D3 A8 which among tinters was known to be one of the hardest cars to tint. I would suggest taking your car to someone else. I got my A8 tinted with 50% ceramic film (Johnson InsulatIR) for $400 for 4 side windows and back windshield by a highly reputable tinter in Northern VA.

Thanks man for the advice! much appreciated. As I thought, whether intentionally or unintentionally I was misled, but its great to have it confirmed!

ivg 02-20-2012 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by xradman (Post 24264308)
1. Album Art: No album art with iPod/iPhone connected via cable unless you have the cable with red grommet and updated MMI. Search the forum for red ipod cable. I don't think anyone with A8 in the US has the updated combo yet. You get Album Art with music in your Jukebox (3000 file limit) and SD cards (4000 file limit). Album Art has to be 800 x 800 pixels or less.

2. iPhone BT Integration: I don't know about custom labels. However if your contact has multiple numbers, MMI will list them and ask you to select the number you want to dial by numerical label (ie. 1 Home, 2 Work, 3 Mobile, etc)

3. MMI Limit: I'm pretty sure that has to be 2000 contacts. I have ~500 contacts and each contact has more than 4 fields filled out.

4. I don't have SIM card for active MMI, so I can't really comment on whether that is an option. However, I do have a workaround. I search for whatever address/business on my iPhone maps. I then save the business/address to my Contact. The contact will then sync with MMI and you can then use the navigation to look up the address in your newly synced contact.

Xradman, Thank you for the detailed info...

1. I will talk to my dealer now to make sure that they will get me the red cable and the updated MMI by the time I pick it up in May.

2. In terms of multiple contacts I think MMI will only show 5 or 6 fields for phones, not more, I have a contact with about 10 numbers and not all of them show up - thats what happened when I test drove an A8. In terms of custom labels - if you have an iPhone check it out and see for yourself - they don't show up...oh well

3. this is good to hear, I was hoping for this.

4. well I will have to wait and see if anyone else has any input on the matter, or I will figure it out with the dealer.

In any case thanks for the prompt and detailed response!

dcmetro 02-23-2012 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by xradman (Post 24264301)

xradman: Who did u use for tinting? I might get mine done as well..in the near future.

xradman 02-23-2012 04:56 PM

My Tint Thread

I used California Tint in Tysons Corner. Dave who's the owner does all the tints. He also does tint for the Tyson's Corner Audi, so he knows the cars.

BigGrasshopper 02-23-2012 06:56 PM

Your dealer is plainly trying to rip you off on the tint. High quality tint from an established shop should be well south of $500, even in pricier metro areas.

dcmetro 02-24-2012 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by xradman (Post 24266220)
My Tint Thread

I used California Tint in Tysons Corner. Dave who's the owner does all the tints. He also does tint for the Tyson's Corner Audi, so he knows the cars.

Thanks, will check it.