A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A8 vs BMW 7 series vs MB S-class

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Audi A8 vs BMW 7 series vs MB S-class

Obviously you guys are all on the Audi train but why would someone buy an used (year or two old) A8 over a 7 series or S class, especially since the rivals have been updated more recently?

Be interesting to see people's thoughts on this.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

have you driven one? that's the reason
Old 01-15-2018, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a BMW once, or at least I had it part of the time. In was in the shop for maintenance the rest of the time.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

At least prior 7 series had a serious case of F.I.A.T. for stuff that just should not break and wear out like basic motor internals. BMW motor longevity and a lot of other things were just not ready for prime time for a full generation, at least for V8. Good friend bought new and had repair list a mile long, to point where BMW ultimately comp'ed him a complete engine replace after warranty, on top of replacing what seemed like the entire cooling system. Not unique seemingly. Lots of other posts that suggest the same on this board for the newer comparable ones from guys who left the brand in frustration. Sort of role reversal from the old days honestly where Audi was the typical one lots of reliability stones used to get cast at.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Consumer reports puts Audi at a pretty significant lead over BMW and Mercedes. Although both have improved over the past few years the 7 series edges out the S class in reliability. I have not driven either of the newer models but all 3 choices are not bad these days. Expect more service appointments with Mercedes and BMW. I do like the new 7 series - very nice car.

Last edited by LexusLSguy; 01-15-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What MP4 said rings very true for BMW. I have owned all three Marques. I came very close to buying a 2015 S550 but bought the Audi instead. Make no mistake the Mercedes is a fine car, glides down the road with the ultimate in quiet and isolation, is it a drivers car? No, it wasn’t to me, the Audi is more engaging to drive, better cornering ability and more feedback through the wheel. I have been very satisfied with my purchase except for I wish the steering wheel was hotter, the massage seats stronger, that can all be tweaked with VCDS though. But all in all the A8/S8 with the 4.0 or V12 are great cars, sorry 3.0 owners, just not enough get up and go for me
Old 01-15-2018, 12:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
I had a BMW once, or at least I had it part of the time. In was in the shop for maintenance the rest of the time.
My CPO 2015 A8 has been in the shop since the first business day after the day I bought it. I’ve driven it less than 10 miles. Still no clue when I will be getting it back. I don’t like the A6 loaner much, but I’ve driven that 20x more than the car I paid for.They all can have problems...
Old 01-15-2018, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

All depends on personal preferences

I was moving from a Porsche 911 to a sedan and tested the 760, S63

i chose the S8 as I felt it was more of a drivers car
Old 01-16-2018, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had about 10 BMWs, not a single one had an engine issue - generally the engines are bulletproof, it's everything else that goes wrong, but you can't beat the drive of a V8 750. As for MB, if you don't get the AMG, it drives like a Caddy - very smooth and luxurious but no oomph factor at all. it's not a driver's car by any means. The Audi sits in the middle for me, luxurious and sporty.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had all 3 -
The real problem with BMW is their dealer network and the lack of capable technicians. The last 2 that I had were an Alpina B7 and an Individual 650i. The engine and transmission were both problematic at 30k miles on the B7, when you could drive it the performance was awesome but it was rare in the end. The 6 series had a broken wheel at 12k and the dealer claimed it was road hazard even though there was no indentation and no mark on the tire, it cracked straight across the wheel - front to back. Then the "Customer Advisory" = recall that BMW had for all their V8's where they reprogrammed the engines and shortened maintenance schedules, complete BS.
The S550 that I had lost both cats withinn 20k and had computer issues from 15k on. It was probably the worst quality vehicle I have owned.
Truth be told, this S8 doesn't have me sold yet that Audi quality is significantly better. No big issues but I know my service writer pretty well within a year of owning the vehicle.
I do believe that with all the electronic gadgetry we have today that you're not going to have a trouble free car unless you lose all the hp requirements and are comfortable in a Camry or the like.

Quick Reply: Audi A8 vs BMW 7 series vs MB S-class