A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi Connect using ATT Sim card

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Connect using ATT Sim card

I have an ATT Sim card in my 2014 because I have several ATT accounts. The car only receives 2G signals with ATT. ATT sayes they will no longer support 2G by end of year. Audi Tech says the only way to get 3G or faster is to install T-Mobile card. T-Mobile does not have anywhere near the coverage as ATT. Is there a firmware or software change that would allow an ATT 3G signal?
Old 10-10-2016, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

That's strange. Are you sure your car is a 2014? The issue here is the cellular modem. 2014 model years received a new telephone module that supports AT&T's 3G frequency bands, as well as T-Mobile's new bands. T-Mobile is upgrading their network across the nation and if you have an older telephone module, you'll get downgraded to 2G even on T-Mobile. For older model years, Audi offers an upgraded telephone module that restores 3G on T-Mobile and also lets you officially sign up with AT&T. I've done the upgrade for my 2013 RS5 and have been using AT&T for the last almost two years. It's faster than it was on T-Mobile, because the new telephone module also supports the faster HSPA and HSPA+ networks.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

MSRP indicates it is. VIN WAURGAFD1EN00XXXX

I thought the 2014 had the 3G modem but obviously not. I had the same problem on 2013 A6. I used T-Mobile until trial ran out then installed ATT sim. The display actually showed, on both cars, two signal strength bars in the lower right corner of display. One was the 2G Att and indicated a connection to a shared device and the other was, I am sure, the T-Mobile connection.

Where did you get the module upgrade and how much? Is it something I could install? Neither my dealer, nor Audi Tech indicated any knowledge of this.

Thanks for help

Bruce
Old 10-10-2016, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Yes, a 2013 A6 with factory modem would definitely only get 2G on AT&T, but 3G on T-Mobile's old network.

The module upgrade was offered for free to 2013 original owners that had active Audi Connect service through T-Mobile at the time T-Mobile upgraded their network in their home market. In my case T-Mobile did the upgrade in September of last year. I got a letter from Audi that offered the free upgrade. Unfortunately, unless you've been offered the upgrade you are currently out of luck. They are short on parts, and so far have no plans to offer the upgrade to other owners even if you are willing to pay for it.

Here's the letter I got:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_P...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by superswiss; 10-10-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am new to the board and I own 2013 A8L and stuck with 2G AT&T modem. Being a flagship car for AUDI the MMI with 2G sucks. My dealer is not ready to upgrade the modem being I am the 2nd. owner even though I bought the car from the same dealer this was never disclosed to me while I am buying. The Audi customer service clearly said in an email saying that I am not eligible for upgrade. I don't know what to do? Is there a way where we can get some justice?
My son has 2016 A4 and his MMI was far better than mine, he has latest MMI software, new modem and upgraded Google maps.
Like some one said in email chain above dealer quoted Google maps upgrade for$500-$600, which seems to be waste being MMI stuck with 2G I don't see any benefit out of it.
Any suggestions from fellow forum users????
Thanks in Advance.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2013 D4 and my dealer did the hardware swap for me for free and now I have AT&T sim and 3G, no problems. $10/month with my plan.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

And I too am a second, if not third, owner of my car. Maybe it's a dealer issue and they don't want to do it. They didn't even blink when I asked them. I did have to get the sim card from Audi though, the at&t sim card I got from the at&t store didn't work.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Initially I contacted my dealer but the service department got an email from Audi head quarters saying my VIN doesn't qualify for upgrade. Then with that email I contacted Audi customer service and they sent an email saying that being I am the 2nd. owner I am not qualified and they didn't even tell me when they are going to replace also.
I told them I will put your email on Audi forums and they said they don't care and I can do what ever.
If any one has a letter or work request order copy to share then I can contact Audi customer service.
Pl. help.
Thanks
Old 10-16-2016, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I actually do have my invoice showing they did the 3G upgrade.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

here is my invoice...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
audi.pdf (790.1 KB, 326 views)

Quick Reply: Audi Connect using ATT Sim card