A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi hires former Volvo exec as new R&D chief

Old 11-28-2016, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts
Default Audi hires former Volvo exec as new R&D chief

Dieselgate Fallout continued...

Nov 28, Motor Authority

Audi has named former Volvo executive Peter Mertens as its new R&D chief.
Mertens is one of the first from outside the company to be given a top role at the Volkswagen Group following the emergence of the diesel emissions scandal in September 2015.

He replaces Stefan Knirsch who stepped down in September following reports connecting him with the scandal. Knirsch was only promoted to the role at the start of 2016 after veteran Audi R&D chief Ulrich Hackenberg was suspended in the early days of the scandal and later resigned. Hackenberg is currently working for Finnish independent vehicle manufacturer Valmet.

Mertens was second from the top at Volvo’s R&D division, helping with projects such as the modular CMA and SPA platforms as well as plug-in hybrid and electric compressor technologies. He’s also had various roles at Mercedes-Benz, General Motors Company [NYSE:GM] and Jaguar Land Rover during his career.

Mertens isn’t the only top Volvo R&D executive Audi has snagged. Thomas Mueller, who was in charge of electric/electronics development at Volvo, will head a similar position at Audi starting in December.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:06 AM
A 8
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I live in the city of Volvo, Gothenburg and there is a strong peer pressure to drive a Volvo. It has been like that for many years and I have always ignored it completely until the new S90 was introduced. There are now many where I live and I have to say they look good, almost as good as the A8.

So...for the first time in my 18yrs of A8's I have started to think maybe I can make it work in a Volvo! My kids say no way but I am not sure and the B&W soundsystem and nappa leather seems really nice....the problem I have its still a Volvo.
Point is Volvo have really stepped up which is rare in the car industry these days and it makes good sense for Audi to pick up some of the talent that made that happen.
Attached Thumbnails Audi hires former Volvo exec as new R&D chief-volvo-s90-i-stockholm.jpg  
Old 11-28-2016, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by A 8
I live in the city of Volvo, Gothenburg and there is a strong peer pressure to drive a Volvo. It has been like that for many years and I have always ignored it completely until the new S90 was introduced. There are now many where I live and I have to say they look good, almost as good as the A8.

So...for the first time in my 18yrs of A8's I have started to think maybe I can make it work in a Volvo! My kids say no way but I am not sure and the B&W soundsystem and nappa leather seems really nice....the problem I have its still a Volvo.
Point is Volvo have really stepped up which is rare in the car industry these days and it makes good sense for Audi to pick up some of the talent that made that happen.
And of course Chinese $$$ doesn't hurt anything either!
Old 11-28-2016, 06:37 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by A 8

Nice. I have visited Gothenburg several times when I worked with a subsidiary of Ericsson. Nice place and nice people.
I have to agree I've seen only one S90 here in the US and it was very impressive looking.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife had a C70 hardtop convertible in 2009. Beautiful car and well built with quality parts. They discontinued it and couldn't get another when her lease was up. If they redesign and release, she'll be willing to trade in her A3 Cabrio....

Search this Thread