A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio/Music Question on 2015 A8L

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audio/Music Question on 2015 A8L

Getting a new to me CPO 2015 A8L 4.0T delivered tomorrow. Very much looking forward to driving it and then figuring out how all of the MMI, etc stuff works.

I have an iPhone 6 and generally just listen to Spotify (make playlists and copy them to the phone so don't use data when not in wifi). So I guess after I sync the phone I will receive phone calls via bluetooth. In order to listen to the Spotify (and iTunes) music I have saved on the the iPhone 6 can I connect the phone to the old school MMI connector that is coming with the car and then connect a lightning adapter to the iPhone (for better quality than bluetooth)? Will it display album art on Nav screen? Will incoming phone calls on bluetooth pause the music if I answer?

Thanks
Old 04-16-2018, 11:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 580 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by guido55
Getting a new to me CPO 2015 A8L 4.0T delivered tomorrow. Very much looking forward to driving it and then figuring out how all of the MMI, etc stuff works.

I have an iPhone 6 and generally just listen to Spotify (make playlists and copy them to the phone so don't use data when not in wifi). So I guess after I sync the phone I will receive phone calls via bluetooth. In order to listen to the Spotify (and iTunes) music I have saved on the the iPhone 6 can I connect the phone to the old school MMI connector that is coming with the car and then connect a lightning adapter to the iPhone (for better quality than bluetooth)? Will it display album art on Nav screen? Will incoming phone calls on bluetooth pause the music if I answer?

Thanks
Yes, you can connect the phone via the MMI cable, which then has the Lightning end for the Apple devices, connected via the MMI hardwire connection. My 6S phone stays in my pocket and Bluetooth connects for calls; technically it can still AD2P into the car too, but the hardwire control integration is better/tighter. You also get better sound quality than with AD2P (bluetooth) as an additional benefit, though your Spotify downloads may be of pretty marginal quality to begin with. Depends on bit rate. You will get album art on the MMI screen IF you have the correct cable--only with the cable too as I recall and not via A2DP. Calls do not pause music IIRC, but rather mute it. I might be confusing it with Nav verbal directions though.

What I do differently than you are mentioning is just use an old Apple device as my player. Currently it is an iPod; previously it was my older 5S. Home desks and drawers are loaded with old phones and players. Done that way you don't end up leaving your phone behind by accident (BTDT), lower risk of theft if phone left behind and more obvious, etc. Easy on iTunes just to have another player device with whatever portion of your Library you want. If you spend the time to record the original tracks at high bit rates (I use 320kb AAC with first generation copies from the original CD's) you get much better sound quality, and again meaningfully better than if you bluetooth in and/or use lower bit rate streaming or downloading.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-16-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

If you are going to listen to stored music just copy them to the jukebox. Another option is to put music on cards and just leave them in the car.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep that would work too. Don't think either would work with the Spotify stuff I've saved as you can't copy it outside of the app