A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back pain in a8 comfort seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back pain in a8 comfort seats

I’m the new owner of a 2015 a8 with the comfort seats. I love every aspect of the car except the seats. After about 5 minutes I get lower back pain. I have read many posts about different models causing discomfort but not many about D4 A8’s. I have tried the seat settings in about a million ways with no relief. If I sit on a memory foam pad it helps some. Has any one ever had their seat reworked at an auto upholstery place? I spoke with one today that didn’t seem confident in their ability to take apart such a complex seat and have it go back together well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by rspector
I’m the new owner of a 2015 a8 with the comfort seats. I love every aspect of the car except the seats. After about 5 minutes I get lower back pain. I have read many posts about different models causing discomfort but not many about D4 A8’s. I have tried the seat settings in about a million ways with no relief. If I sit on a memory foam pad it helps some. Has any one ever had their seat reworked at an auto upholstery place? I spoke with one today that didn’t seem confident in their ability to take apart such a complex seat and have it go back together well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
It depends on what is causing your back pain.
Play with the lumbar support. If you have a certain back condition, too much lumbar support will bend your spine in an unnatural S curve. I have mine set with the minimal amount of lumbar support, good shoulder support, extended thigh support, and I can drive 5 hrs straight.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've tried every combination of seat settings I can think of. I haven't driven the car in 24 hours and my back is completely back to normal. Other then the seats being a little stiff I can't imagine what could be causing my problems. All I can think of is having the seat customized by an upholstery person, but like I said before they don't seem to confident in their ability to get that done. Any one know of someone qualified to do that in the NYC area? I'm in Danbury Ct.
Thank you
Old 10-21-2017, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Do have the comfort seats with the diamond stitching pattern and the massage function? If so, I'm surprised those seats are giving you trouble. The seats in my old A6 contributed to lower back pain for me, but the A8 seats are awesome. Try the function that makes the seat bottom "grow" forward towards your knees - that can help take pressure off your lower back. And be careful with the lumbar adjustment as that can make your lower back feel worse if you overdo it. Have you tried the massage function at all? Do you have pre-existing back pain or did it just start due to the seats?
Old 10-21-2017, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

My seats have the massage function but not the diamond stitching. What’s the difference between the two? I have tried the thigh extension with no luck. I’ve never had any back issues at all before this car.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My seats have the massage function but not the diamond stitching. What’s the difference between the two? I have tried the thigh extension with no luck. I’ve never had any back issues at all before this car.
The diamond stitched ones are the comfort sport seats - that's what I have in my car. I believe they have a few more adjustments available than the comfort seats. They are really comfortable to me. I had back issues with my previous A6. Those seats were horrible.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No joke here, do you carry your wallet in your back pocket? I ask because I have back pain in general. and I was complaining recently of my back hurting after driving our Land Rover and then in our BMW 335 convertible. And it happens in the Audi too. Friend told me to take my wallet out of my back pocket - much better! This may not be your issue but it helped me immensely. And I do use the massage function almost every time I'm in the car.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I agree no wallet makes a huge difference. Unfortunetly I figured that out long ago :-). Are there more comfortable seats I can buy for the car? Like a different factory option ?
Old 10-22-2017, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by dwboston
The diamond stitched ones are the comfort sport seats - that's what I have in my car. I believe they have a few more adjustments available than the comfort seats. They are really comfortable to me. I had back issues with my previous A6. Those seats were horrible.
Nah, both diamond stitched and regular Comfirt seats have the same 22-way adjustment. The diamond stitching on the Sport Comfort seats adds more cushioned support IMO due to the stitch pattern. Had regular Comfort seats on my 2011 D4, and now the diamond stitched Sport Comforts on my 2015. In my review post of my 2015 A8L back in November 2014, this was one of the first things I noted.

For what it’s worth, in my case I think the regular Comfort seats in my 2011 D4 exacerbated my sciatic (sp?) nerve issue, which continues with the Sport Comforts from time to time. Using a variety of the message settings does help me, but also popping a couple of Advil and removing my trouser belt on long drives helps a lot. And yes, not having your wallet in your back pocket is critical—In fact, sitting any time with a wallet in your back pocket is generally not good for your back over time. Also, comments about not overdoing the lumbar support setting are on target—can place too much pressure on your lower back if there is a preexisting condition.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I've tried every combination of seat settings I can think of. I haven't driven the car in 24 hours and my back is completely back to normal. Other then the seats being a little stiff I can't imagine what could be causing my problems. All I can think of is having the seat customized by an upholstery person, but like I said before they don't seem to confident in their ability to get that done. Any one know of someone qualified to do that in the NYC area? I'm in Danbury Ct.
Thank you
i'd suggest you get a physical therapist or personal trainer to help you find out if there is an optimum sitting position in the seat.

Quick Reply: Back pain in a8 comfort seats