A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bang & Olufsen Issue with Bass Clipping In and Out

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy Bang & Olufsen Issue with Bass Clipping In and Out

Hi, I am new to the forum. I purchased a 2016 S8 Plus back in May of this year. The car is awesome, yet there are two issues that I am having a hard time having Audi acknowledge, particularly with the B&O system, which the Audi TAC (not sure who the Audi TAC people are) will not acknowledge is a problem.

The B&O system intermittently clips the bass off, as if I am listening to the music with just treble and some mid-range remaining (very muffled). Once it starts, it just keeps clipping in and out. Late July, I just happened to have my phone in my hand when it was doing this and recorded about three songs while this was happening and it recorded the problem well enough to easily hear the bass clipping out. So, before I called the Audi dealer to discuss this problem, I wanted to absolutely make sure I wasn’t doing something wrong.

When the problem started, I switched from Radio, to Sirius, to CD, to SD Card, and finally to my iPhone player and in each case the problem persisted. This eliminated the possibility for example, the FM going in and out of HD and regular mode.

I then maxed out the DSP settings and then turned DSP off, the problem persisted. This eliminated the DSP.

Finally, played with the tone settings minimizing and maximizing various settings, the problem persisted.

I observed this issue happening when I the car was just started in the garage and at ambient temperature of the garage, which eliminated overheating or hot car issue.

I observed this issue with the stereo on and the car’s engine off, this eliminated a lose wire or component issue.

After all this, I finally dropped the car off at the dealer, played my recording and discussed all of the above. I got a call back later that day and they told me that they could not recreate the problem. But then about two hours later my service rep called me – he is a really good guy and he was my main POC when I had my 2013 S8. – he told me that he took the car out for a drive to look into the second issue I had, which was wind noise from the driver’s side window (noticeably loud whoosh). When he turned the car on the Sirius was on and just as he was about to turn it off, he noticed the bass clip off. So he drove it with the music on for fifteen minutes and absolutely observed what I was complaining about.

Vindication right – not yet. My service rep left the car on and got a service tech into the car to hear the issue. The service tech also confirmed that this is not normal. The service tech updated the software and still the issue persisted.

Next, they actually had another S8 Plus in the showroom and decided to switch the amps out over this last weekend. I got a call from my service rep and he informed me that the amp swap did not work and the problem is still there and in addition to that, they observed the exact same problem in the other S8 Plus in their showroom after the swap, including when they put each car’s original respective amp back in.

They started speaking to the Audi TAC today and the TAC had decided that this is normal and because the car is so highly tuned for this particular stereo B&O system that maybe us layman think what is normal is not.

Of course my service rep saw through the BS they were feeding him to feed me. He called me told me to hold tight, he was bringing a technical field service rep to the dealership to show him the issue. That is where I left it today.

I have had nothing but good things to say about my 2013 S8 and that is why I purchased the 2016 S8 Plus. I would have never thought that these Audi TAC people would be so condescending on a Bang & Olufsen® Advanced Sound System costing $6,300.

Sorry for the long post – but please let me know if anyone else has experienced this issue.

Thank you!
Old 08-30-2016, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Welcome.

Sorry to hear your about your issue. TAC = Technical Advisory Center or something like that. Who they call when they get stumped or dealing w/ low volume vehicle or option. They got involved when our Hybrid drive went out and local techs weren't sure in face of any possible fix (under warranty) being expensive modules. Kind of the successor to the old regional reps who used to drive around in cars a lot to troubleshoot cars in person. Now they can just connect electronically, Webex, etc.

I follow what you are saying but have run into nothing like that on B&O side. From what you day, it doesn't sound like a source issue like clipped recordings into an iPod or something then played through MMI. On my 2015 S8, what I have noticed is on long drives with a lot of outside heat and getting stuck in traffic, Sirius starts cutting out. Like 15-45 second complete drops. Almost like going under trees or bridges. Except is is bright sun, zero trees on some flat interstate and wide open sky. My hunch is it is not the tuner at all. Rather I think battery may be running down under load from heavy motor fans and other accessories, while at same time it idles stuck in traffic for extended periods and doesn't spin alternator fast enough to get to the high amp charging levels.

The S8 frankly has a joke of a main battery in it. Smallest battery used in any D4. Its really more like an A4 or other four banger sized battery (and related vehicle and power loads) looked at by spec, size or application. Not clear why other than some beancounter idea at intersection of pulling 5-10 pounds out of trunk spare well. Bigger ones would fit, and do any other A8, whether V6 or V8. Obviously bass could use a punch of power through amp, so maybe a different version of what I have experienced? You could mention it and ask them to monitor voltage and power draw or some such. Again, only occurs on mine in scenarios where you can guess battery may be under stress--hot, lots of engine fan time, stuck in traffic, etc. Also figure their car on showroom floor and then only idling in service bay could have some of same issue. When I next go in I am going to lobby for a new and bigger battery.

FWIW, on other end of spectrum, since I figured out how to end run the volume limit by tweaking what appear to be the preamp settings, I can confirm there is a lot more power and bass there beyond "34" without distortion, as long as recording quality is good. None of it clips even pushed a good amount more than starting point stock B&O.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-30-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Welcome.

Sorry to hear your about your issue. TAC = Technical Advisory Center or something like that. Who they call when they get stumped or dealing w/ low volume vehicle or option. They got involved when our Hybrid drive went out and local techs weren't sure in face of any possible fix (under warranty) being expensive modules. Kind of the successor to the old regional reps who used to drive around in cars a lot to troubleshoot cars in person. Now they can just connect electronically, Webex, etc.

I follow what you are saying but have run into nothing like that on B&O side. From what you day, it doesn't sound like a source issue like clipped recordings into an iPod or something then played through MMI. On my 2015 S8, what I have noticed is on long drives with a lot of outside heat and getting stuck in traffic, Sirius starts cutting out. Like 15-45 second complete drops. Almost like going under trees or bridges. Except is is bright sun, zero trees on some flat interstate and wide open sky. My hunch is it is not the tuner at all. Rather I think battery may be running down under load from heavy motor fans and other accessories, while at same time it idles stuck in traffic for extended periods and doesn't spin alternator fast enough to get to the high amp charging levels.

The S8 frankly has a joke of a main battery in it. Smallest battery used in any D4. Its really more like an A4 or other four banger sized battery (and related vehicle and power loads) looked at by spec, size or application. Not clear why other than some beancounter idea at intersection of pulling 5-10 pounds out of trunk spare well. Bigger ones would fit, and do any other A8, whether V6 or V8. Obviously bass could use a punch of power through amp, so maybe a different version of what I have experienced? You could mention it and ask them to monitor voltage and power draw or some such. Again, only occurs on mine in scenarios where you can guess battery may be under stress--hot, lots of engine fan time, stuck in traffic, etc. Also figure their car on showroom floor and then only idling in service bay could have some of same issue. When I next go in I am going to lobby for a new and bigger battery.

FWIW, on other end of spectrum, since I figured out how to end run the volume limit by tweaking what appear to be the preamp settings, I can confirm there is a lot more power and bass there beyond "34" without distortion, as long as recording quality is good. None of it clips even pushed a good amount more than starting point stock B&O.
Thanks for the info. I live Virginia, lots of trees, but rarely had the Sirius go dead intermitantly. My service rep did say because of such low volume on this car that this problem may not have been identified yet. He also said that even though the system looks like the previous B&O it is a completely different for the Plus.

If you could, please direct me to a post that shows how to adjust the preamp. That would be great to tool around with once this is fixed.

Cheers!
Old 08-30-2016, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by zkhan2
Thanks for the info. I live Virginia, lots of trees, but rarely had the Sirius go dead intermitantly. My service rep did say because of such low volume on this car that this problem may not have been identified yet. He also said that even though the system looks like the previous B&O it is a completely different for the Plus.

If you could, please direct me to a post that shows how to adjust the preamp. That would be great to tool around with once this is fixed.

Cheers!
Well, I don't believe one word of the "different" B&O system for the Plus. I have literally never read a single word about that before, and it's really just not logical. Instead, I think it is the exactly the same system as on every other D4 with the option, at least for a given model year. In circa 2013 is the Audi Connect upgrade that overlaps with the MMI, and again D4 wide. In 2015 the restyle affected the bulkhead between the trunk and the rear seat. That's essentially a double walled area with a bunch of electronics sandwiched in between. Responsible for the poor design job on the trunk that is probably the #1 basic design knock on D4. The 2015 tried to clean that up some, in part by changing the slant of the back of the trunk area to match the seatback--the way most vehicles do it. I haven't been in there, but given the service rep comments a guess is some stuff may have been repackaged or moved. Again, affected all 2015 and later D4's (somewhat earlier in Europe). If tech or service rep has mostly worked on pre facelift ones, they may not be realizing that is a more likely change point from what they are used to. Same for 95% of the rest of the car AFAIK, basically excepting the tune, and the items in the two newer optional packages (CCB's, carbon bits, sport exhaust, etc.) Phenomenal car, but my guess is either they did inhale, or maybe were asleep for some of the deeper update classes and publications.

How to increase D4 B&O volume is in my thread here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...nputs-2899865/

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-31-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
How to increase D4 B&O volume is in my thread here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...nputs-2899865/
Great post on changing input gain information. Do you know if Ross-Tech currently supports the 2016 Model S8 Plus? Based on their website it doesn't seem so. I will contact them later when they open. Do you recommend any other VCDS that would work on this car - particularly changing the setting to 1 so that I can access the hidden menu?

Thanks Much!
Old 08-31-2016, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Great post on changing input gain information. Do you know if Ross-Tech currently supports the 2016 Model S8 Plus? Based on their website it doesn't seem so. I will contact them later when they open. Do you recommend any other VCDS that would work on this car - particularly changing the setting to 1 so that I can access the hidden menu?

Thanks Much!
Audi is moving to a yet newer software approach on some, but I doubt anything is changed on Plus. More generally, I expect last major relevant change is at the facelift point w/ 2015's, but even most of those changes are cosmetic rather than electronic in nature. Works exactly as I expect on my 2015 S8, which in turn is essentially same as 2013 Q5 in terms of general era of electronics, worked well on my 2006 W12 that was last generation, and my C5 A6 that is now 2.5 generations old and pre-MMI. Same software; just select a different model when doing full scans. Remember in US Plus was actually a mid year change--there are 2016's that are not Plus's that were manufactured for several months into Fall 2015. Some dealers probably still have the 520HP ones in inventory; in Europe both are still offered. Also, car is late in model life so they tend to change very little. Thus, no 4G for example or other changes they did roll into newest C7's or CarPlay starting to be phased in.

So, no I don't know for sure it does, but logically it should. You can e mail Ross-Tech to be sure; they say that in FAQ's. I only use the Ross-Tech. All the "me too" products and cheap cables and such invariably get to a point where it is, sorry, not supported, oh, we don't read that module, etc. Or rather, stone cold silence as you scurry around web since they are typically unsupported and try to trade off Ross-Tech's reputation. If a legit cable, if you exit Audi you can always resell for most of what you paid anyway. There are also a couple of apps now, most obvious one being Carista. Limited module support though, and not sure it can enable hidden menu. They might talk about that on web site, or certainly if you search.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-31-2016 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Angry Update on ang & Olufsen Issue with Bass Clipping In and Out

A quick update on what has transpired since I took my S8 in two weeks ago.

Jim from Audi America is the technical field manager assigned to my car. I finally spoke to him today. He has not personally looked at my car, however there are two other cars so far in North America that have the same issue as mine. One in Michigan and one at the same dealer as mine (the one they did the amp swap with).

He said that Audi Germany is now on this issue and trying to resolve it. Apparently they will use the S8 in Michigan as their test case. Jim will call the dealer tomorrow to make sure the driver's side wind noise issue has been fixed and then will have the car released to me.

There is no timeline on when they will figure out a fix to this issue. Basically, I get a car back with a $6,300 B&O system that doesn't work and no one knows when this issue will be fixed.

I will have to check and see if there are any other avenues I can take. I feel that Audi should replace the entire system so that it works properly and not make the customer wait for something to be fixed that they can't even get their head around.

I will update more once I get more information.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

A quick update on what has transpired since I took my S8 in two weeks ago.

Jim from Audi America is the technical field manager assigned to my car. I finally spoke to him today. He has not personally looked at my car, however there are two other cars so far in North America that have the same issue as mine. One in Michigan and one at the same dealer as mine (the one they did the amp swap with).

He said that Audi Germany is now on this issue and trying to resolve it. Apparently they will use the S8 in Michigan as their test case. Jim will call the dealer tomorrow to make sure the driver's side wind noise issue has been fixed and then will have the car released to me.

There is no timeline on when they will figure out a fix to this issue. Basically, I get a car back with a $6,300 B&O system that doesn't work and no one knows when this issue will be fixed.

I will have to check and see if there are any other avenues I can take. I feel that Audi should replace the entire system so that it works properly and not make the customer wait for something to be fixed that they can't even get their head around.

I will update more once I get more information.
Again, my one input if you want to mention it to them is to look carefully at battery and car power, amps, draw, etc. The S8 battery spec is far below any other D4, yet equipment wise that really makes no sense other than stop start on A8's that most seems to turn off anyway. But meanwhile S8s are more likely to be loaded--both with most options already standard, and options like high power B&0 more common. Start stop also didn't exist on D3's and those had bigger batteries too even with similar alternator sizing. Cheap fix for them to simply swap it out for one of the bigger A8 sizes, at least on their test case one. Inplain English, I think the sizing was a mistake for some goofball compliance or other not technically sound reason.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-08-2016 at 07:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Andy Cumston (05-25-2020)
Old 09-15-2016, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Here is the most current update I received just now:

Good Day All,

The current plan for the sound system issue is this:
Both the master and slave B+O amps have been ordered and should arrive early next week at Audi Chantilly. When they are confirmed there and verified correct parts we will get client's car in to the dealer so I can be there to first experience the issue and then replace both amps. Then the software levels will be verified and corrected if need be and the repair tested. Hopefully this will take care of the problem but if not we will continue from there.

Background on the amp replacement decision is small number of the “ICE Power” amplifiers have been replaced and Germany suggests we do the same. The “ICE power” is a slave amplifier and is the power stabilizer with a built in protection mechanism for high temperatures as well as low voltage. The main amp is being replaced for the popping issue as it can be a cause of this. In this case it is best to replace both and reevaluate.

Actions:
Please notify me when the parts are in hand and verified, I will clear my schedule for Monday to Tuesday of next week to be available any of those days. Please contact client for his schedule and make arrangements to have his car at Audi Chantilly.

Please contact me with any further questions and I thank you all for your cooperation.

Regards,

Jim
I will let you know how this goes. Why he has to see the issue himself before they do the install is beyond me since Jim and the techs at the dealership all acknowledge the problem does exist.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Here is the most current update I received just now:

I will let you know how this goes. Why he has to see the issue himself before they do the install is beyond me since Jim and the techs at the dealership all acknowledge the problem does exist.
Helpful update. He may want to see it to decide or confirm if they have a bigger issue that might need a TSB, at least on D4's. D4 is also similar to C7 A6/S6 and A7/S7/RS7 IIRC for B&0, so issue may be yet larger. The smaller and higher volume Audis like A4/A5/Q5 use a cheaper system more at the Bose D3/D4 level quality wise.

In the car industry there is the age old issue of "bill backs"--sticking cost back to supplier if it is a defect against specs. Thus it could have to do with also documenting that kind of thing. Spec or manufacturing process could also have been tweaked and they may just be realizing some other issue like yours got created.

To my mind, net it is a good thing as far as having more senior attention on it in parallel w/ tech.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-15-2016 at 10:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Bang & Olufsen Issue with Bass Clipping In and Out