A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bang & Olufsen Issue with Bass Clipping In and Out

Old 09-19-2016, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eek!

Tunes in my $500 VW bug better sound good, not to mention my $130,000 Audi!

Name:  carrandom015.jpg
Views: 1806
Size:  143.2 KB
Old 09-19-2016, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ravill
Eek!

Tunes in my $500 VW bug better sound good, not to mention my $130,000 Audi!

Pioneer AVIC 8100NEX with JL amps and speakers, about $4,200 in components. The car is loud and drop top but still sounds better than the B&O system even with their class D IceAmp.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Oh, we're doing this? This is my oldest baby, and the exhaust sounds better than any stereo I've ever heard. But the stereo itself is admittedly lacking. Now, the Challenger doesn't quite have as sweet of an exhaust but the blower whine when you're stomping on it is nice, but the stereo compares to the D3 A8's Bose, although with more bass. Better than the Mercedes, that's for sure.
Edit: Love the W30 droptop, by the way!

Last edited by Jack88; 09-20-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Update (3 OCT 2016) on Bang & Olufsen Issue with Bass Clipping In and Out

Latest update, after sending an email last Thursday to the Audi Technical Field rep and the dealer's Service Manager, I got a call back within an hour. Just to vent, I did complain to the dealer's Service Manager, nearly a month ago, about the lack of communication and I usually have to initiate it. This is another example. The one Amp came over two weeks ago and the Audi rep said that they both shipped at the same time, so who knows how long the second Amp arrived and has been sitting around. Unless I called, I would never have been called by them anytime soon.

I am scheduled to drop off the car this Wednesday and the Tech Field rep will be there to handle the testing and installation of the two new amps. As mentioned above about communication, when I picked up the car last time, the dealer was going to order the parts to replace the seals on the driver's side window. It turns out that they never ordered the parts and were going to wait until the Audi Tech Field rep came to diagnose the issue further. They never informed me until I asked about it last Thursday along with the Amp issue. They will test the car for the wind noise from the driver's side window. The Audi Technical Field rep wants to tape the car in increments to pinpoint where the noise is coming from before ordering parts for that repair.

The only observation I have noticed is the B&O system's clipping issue is that it definitely happens as soon as I start the car when the sun is out and the temperature is 80 degrees or higher. Along with that comes a very loud thump from the speakers, totally random. Very similar to someone connecting a battery directly to speakers leads.

Keeping my finger's crossed because has been on hell of a wait!
Old 10-05-2016, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by zkhan2
Latest update, after sending an email last Thursday to the Audi Technical Field rep and the dealer's Service Manager, I got a call back within an hour. Just to vent, I did complain to the dealer's Service Manager, nearly a month ago, about the lack of communication and I usually have to initiate it. This is another example. The one Amp came over two weeks ago and the Audi rep said that they both shipped at the same time, so who knows how long the second Amp arrived and has been sitting around. Unless I called, I would never have been called by them anytime soon.

I am scheduled to drop off the car this Wednesday and the Tech Field rep will be there to handle the testing and installation of the two new amps. As mentioned above about communication, when I picked up the car last time, the dealer was going to order the parts to replace the seals on the driver's side window. It turns out that they never ordered the parts and were going to wait until the Audi Tech Field rep came to diagnose the issue further. They never informed me until I asked about it last Thursday along with the Amp issue. They will test the car for the wind noise from the driver's side window. The Audi Technical Field rep wants to tape the car in increments to pinpoint where the noise is coming from before ordering parts for that repair.

The only observation I have noticed is the B&O system's clipping issue is that it definitely happens as soon as I start the car when the sun is out and the temperature is 80 degrees or higher. Along with that comes a very loud thump from the speakers, totally random. Very similar to someone connecting a battery directly to speakers leads.

Keeping my finger's crossed because has been on hell of a wait!
In addition to everything else, you definitely have a dealer problem! The dealer should be front and center in coordinating all communications between you and the Audi rep's. Not meaning to pile on but, cannot even imagine the dealer allowing the ball to be dropped so many times!
Old 10-06-2016, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Update Bang & Olufsen Issue with Bass Clipping In and Out

Just received a call from my dealer service rep. He said the Audi field tech came and tested the system and couldn't replicate the issue with the B&O system. Both the dealer service rep and service tech were adamant with the Audi field tech that they have observed the issue on several occasions and for him to continue to let the system play. So he did and eventually the clipping started and the Audi field tech finally acknowledged the problem. He replaced the amp and let that play for an extended period of time and there was no issue. He then plugged the original amp back in and the clipping began.

So it seems this issue is solved. Now he will start to address the wind noise issue tomorrow.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Final Update Bang & Olufsen Issue with Bass Clipping In and Out

Hopefully the final update. What I really get offended by is the way these folks talk about your issues, as if it's not true unless they observe it themselves. As the below email shows, the popping noise that started after my first trip to the dealer apparently does not exist unless the Audi guy hears it himself, even though I have told him more than once that it only happens when it is 80 degrees or higher, with full sun and the inside of my car is very hot. The day he was there, it was fairly cool in Chantilly, VA.

Also the fact they he would not swap the amps unless he observed the clipping issue himself, even though several folks at the dealer confirmed this issue exist on this car and one other S8 at their dealership and that fact that Audi observed one S8 with this issue in Michigan. BTW - he only waited 20 minutes because the guys at the dealer pleaded with him to do so - my dealer rep called before this email to let me know it was fixed but also his frustration and the reluctance of Audi to do the swap until they observed it themselves. The Audi guy was giving up after 10-minutes and only waited another 10-minutes after the dealer urged him to do so.

And maybe I am wrong, but isn't an intermittent loss of bass called "a bass clipping issue?"

Not a very happy person when it comes to Audi's arrogant customer service, however, I still love the car and hope this resolve it.

Here is the email from Audi after the B&O system was repaired:

Sent: Thursday, October 6, 2016 11:04 PM
To: Khan, XXXXXX
Subject: RE: Update on B+O issue

Mr. Khan,

I was at Chantilly yesterday to assist with your car. We verified the parts were correct and then since I had not heard the issue for myself wanted to duplicate it. It took 20 minutes or so but finally we lost all bass from all speakers where I was expecting just a clipping of the bass its self. Not at all what I expected but was happy to duplicate it. Since there are two B+O amps I disconnected #2 and with that one disconnected we experienced the same loss of bass. Connected the new one and sound was correct. I let it play for about 15 minutes with no issues of loss of bass and then reconnected the old amp. Within 5 minutes the loss of bass was again happening with periods of 10 to 15 seconds of zero bass tones. I then installed the new amps 1 and 2, coded, parameterized them and did what is a component protection (insurance theft type) and also calibrated the interior microphone for noise cancelation. We then let it play for at least a half hour and had no bass loss. Edwin (tech) was going to look at your wind noise issue and continue to test the amp replacement and report to me. As of tonight I have not heard back but will contact him in the am. At no point did I hear any popping noises from the system. I will let you be the judge of the repair once the car is back in your hands.
Please let me know of any issues.

Thank you,

Jim

James [XXXXXXXXX]
Technical Field Manager

Audi of America, Inc.
Product Quality and Technical Service
Old 10-08-2016, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hopefully the final update. What I really get offended by is the way these folks talk about your issues, as if it's not true unless they observe it themselves. As the below email shows, the popping noise that started after my first trip to the dealer apparently does not exist unless the Audi guy hears it himself, even though I have told him more than once that it only happens when it is 80 degrees or higher, with full sun and the inside of my car is very hot. The day he was there, it was fairly cool in Chantilly, VA.
Just wanted to clarify the popping noise is totally a different issue than the clipping issue. I tend to agree that the swap with correct amps will fix it, but I will never be sure until it gets sunny and hot again.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Final Update Bang & Olufsen Issue with Bass Clipping In and Out

Here is the final update on this issue. I have yet to get my car back, as they are fixing the wind noise issue.

From: [XXXXXXXX], James [mailto:James.[XXXXXXXX]@audi.com]
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2016 11:24 AM
To: Khan, Zaman
Cc: Audi of Chantilly-SM-Matt [XXXXXXXX] ; Audi Chantilly-SF-Justin [XXXXXXXX]

Mr. Khan,

On a conference call right now I found out they have identified there was a problem with the circuit board on ICE amps (B+O amp 2) before August production. The new parts are good which is what was installed on your car. This makes me very sure your issues is repaired with the amp replacement.

Thank you so much for your patience in resolving this issue and don’t be afraid to reach out to me if you need assistance in the future.

Regards,

Jim

James [XXXXXXXX]
Technical Field Manager

Audi of America, Inc.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is the final update on this issue. I have yet to get my car back, as they are fixing the wind noise issue.

From: [XXXXXXXX], James [mailto:James.[XXXXXXXX]@audi.com]
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2016 11:24 AM
To: Khan, Zaman
Cc: Audi of Chantilly-SM-Matt [XXXXXXXX] ; Audi Chantilly-SF-Justin [XXXXXXXX]

Mr. Khan,

On a conference call right now I found out they have identified there was a problem with the circuit board on ICE amps (B+O amp 2) before August production. The new parts are good which is what was installed on your car. This makes me very sure your issues is repaired with the amp replacement.

Thank you so much for your patience in resolving this issue and don’t be afraid to reach out to me if you need assistance in the future.

Regards,

Jim

James [XXXXXXXX]
Technical Field Manager

Audi of America, Inc.
Glad they fixed your amp issue. Stuff like that can be very frustrating. How is your case of the winds going? You seem to be a big fan of the s8. I'm considering getting a used 2015 but having trouble finding one with the B&O sound system, being an old audiophile, don't want the car without it. Is it the huge upgrade over stock Bose system I'm assuming it is? Did you ever compare the s8 to an s63? Would you buy one of these now with the new a8 due by mid 2017? Thanks. Regards. Ned.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bang & Olufsen Issue with Bass Clipping In and Out