A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bang & Olufsen Issue with Bass Clipping In and Out

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngerstman
\Would you buy one of these now with the new a8 due by mid 2017? Thanks. Regards. Ned.
This sounds early/optimistic. Hasn't even been announced yet, let alone shipped in Europe, which should be 6+ months ahead of here. They also are still running S8's, which they would likely cut off before end of last A8 production run if they follow D3 pattern. On D3's they ran S8's and W12's through spring of next to last model year (2009), then did a short run of 2010's in 4.2 only (and in parallel LWB only IIRC).

Price wise is of course the usual difference from one generation to next. For a 2015 you should be looking at somewhat under .8 x .8 x original price = .64, now, just using rule of thumb for the falls like a rock depreciation. Then take another 20% off starting some months ago now as D5 gets close extending to its real into date--on top of an annual typical 20% drop. S8's do a little better, so might not take some of this last compounded 20% model change clip. In plain English, you could pay as little as half w/in the next year for a few year old one at 30K miles or less, or full boat for new. Or, said another way you could have a D4 S8 for less than D5 V6 money. Price has a way of settling these things...

I got B&O on S8 (CPO). Though, until I boosted pre amp levels via Hidden menu I actually wasn't that convinced of the incremental delta from the Bose in my D3 W12. It is tighter and purer but it isn't night and day for my casual ears unless I focused on it. With elevated pre amp and therefore higher volumes, the clarity became more obvious and stronger tight bass (genuine, not thumper or just loud and muddy) was also a better distinguisher.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-23-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
This sounds early/optimistic. Hasn't even been announced yet, let alone shipped in Europe, which should be 6+ months ahead of here. They also are still running S8's, which they would likely cut off before end of last A8 production run if they follow D3 pattern. On D3's they ran S8's and W12's through spring of next to last model year (2009), then did a short run of 2010's in 4.2 only (and in parallel LWB only IIRC).

Price wise is of course the usual difference from one generation to next. For a 2015 you should be looking at somewhat under .8 x .8 x original price = .64, now, just using rule of thumb for the falls like a rock depreciation. Then take another 20% off starting some months ago now as D5 gets close extending to its real into date--on top of an annual typical 20% drop. S8's do a little better, so might not take some of this last compounded 20% model change clip. In plain English, you could pay as little as half w/in the next year for a few year old one at 30K miles or less, or full boat for new. Or, said another way you could have a D4 S8 for less than D5 V6 money. Price has a way of settling these things...

I got B&O on S8 (CPO). Though, until I boosted pre amp levels via Hidden menu I actually wasn't that convinced of the incremental delta from the Bose in my D3 W12. It is tighter and purer but it isn't night and day for my casual ears unless I focused on it. With elevated pre amp and therefore higher volumes, the clarity became more obvious and stronger tight bass (genuine, not thumper or just loud and muddy) was also a better distinguisher.
Appreciate the thoughts. Want to test drive s8 and used e63. Test drove s550 and didn't like the ride, way too boaty. Want the car to absorb the bumps but not in a floaty way. In your opinion, what would be a good price for a 2015 s8 with 15,000 miles? Right now I drive a 2011 Mercedes e550 4matic. Will the s8 be an upgrade in driving? Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Yes, the S8 will be an upgrade in driving, in every way. A good price on a second hand S8 will vary by quite a lot, even with that set mileage, depending on options and whether or not it's CPO.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack88
Yes, the S8 will be an upgrade in driving, in every way. A good price on a second hand S8 will vary by quite a lot, even with that set mileage, depending on options and whether or not it's CPO.
I'm seeing CPOs around 35% below msrp with 15,000 miles. Gives me 4+ years and 100,000 miles of warranty. Do you really think it'll handle and be be more fun to drive versus the e550? Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

I'm seeing CPOs around 35% below msrp with 15,000 miles. Gives me 4+ years and 100,000 miles of warranty. Do you really think it'll handle and be be more fun to drive versus the e550? Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Haven't driven Mercs of sort being compared, but pricing sounds in zone. Basically I was seeing low 90's for the most loaded 2015 CPO S8's when I bought in Spring 2016--just as Plus was coming on line for the mid 2016's. Mine had only 3200 miles and being CPO'ed by original selling dealer; others were 5-15K miles at time and I was able to play one off against another where specs were same but miles and condition on one I got much better and price got matched. Watching same features to same features, they slipped a few thousand more in ensuing months--very high 80's to about 90. And again fully equipped--Exclusive interior option, B&O, night vision, etc.--basically the whole (short) option list.

CPO at this stage of life cycle makes more sense to me than new as is resonating in thread--the long tail warranty period and prior owners take the first now ⅓+ bath. Only contra as of mid 2016 is the Plus added power. But then starting over this next year I would be looking for those CPO likewise if I were in market and didn't want to go the chip route instead. Frankly since the "standard" S8 is already over the top on power anyway, 2015 w/ facelift and the long warranty is plenty nice. From a guy who held out almost 10 years on his prior D3 W12, also bought a year old on CPO and very happy with both that ride and CPO all the way through the warranty years.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-24-2016 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

I haven't driven an E550, but I've driven the 5-series. Every review I've ever read rates the BMW as a much better driver than the Mercedes, and I consider driving an S8 as much better than driving the 5-series. I can also say even my non-sport A8L I used to have was a much more engaging driver than my current Mercedes, despite the Audi suffering a staggering 250hp/400lb-ft deficit. If I had to say anything negative, it would be that the front end pushes and steering lacks feedback. That said, at least in my Merc, while evidence suggests that the steering wheel affects the direction of travel, the wheel does little to communicate the fact that it assists with the interaction between the tires and the pavement.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigBoy11
In addition to everything else, you definitely have a dealer problem! The dealer should be front and center in coordinating all communications between you and the Audi rep's. Not meaning to pile on but, cannot even imagine the dealer allowing the ball to be dropped so many times!
I completely agree with you. The Audi tech is not happy with the dealer. After I picked up the car the center dash grille was still sticking out on the left corner. This was on the work order to be fixed. Here is what the completed work order stated:

“C/S THAT FRONT WOOFER ON DASH GRILLE DOES NOT SEEM TO BE SEATED PROPERLY
REMOVED AND REINSTALLED SPEAKER COVER ON THE FRONT DASH.“

Here is a picture of what it looks like when I picked up the car. Obviously, they did not even touch it - even though their reply to the Audi tech was that it must of popped out again.

Old 10-24-2016, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Glad they fixed your amp issue. Stuff like that can be very frustrating. How is your case of the winds going? You seem to be a big fan of the s8. I'm considering getting a used 2015 but having trouble finding one with the B&O sound system, being an old audiophile, don't want the car without it. Is it the huge upgrade over stock Bose system I'm assuming it is? Did you ever compare the s8 to an s63? Would you buy one of these now with the new a8 due by mid 2017? Thanks. Regards. Ned.
They replaced the side mirror and said it fixed the issue. I drove it and the issue still is the same. The whistling noise at speeds of over 40 mph. The Audi tech had requested that they tape off the door jamb and remove tapes in increments and they did not do that. They made the assumption the mirror housing was causing the problem. I am scheduled to call them today and setup another appointment to have them fix this issue.

My boss has the S65, it's an awesome car - the Audi S8 is on par with the S65 for over $100K less.

As far as the B&O system. Yes, it is better than the Bose system. Is it $6K+ better, NO. In fact, a friend of mine put a sub-woofer in his 2014 and it made the Bose system sound incredible. The B&O has some great highs and the bass is well defined but not punchy - it lacks severely in mid-range. At the top level volume of 34 (yes, the volume scale is from 0 - 34), the system is not nearly as loud and defined as the specifications would have you believe.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue

I just created an account here because I'm having the EXACT same issue in my 2017 S6 with B&O. Dealer is unable to fix, also tried the swapping of amps, and even verified that it was happening on other B&O systems in their inventory. We have waited 2 months and Audi corporate has not responded to either me or the dealership.

Unfortunately, today I had to file a lemon law claim to refund me the money for the car, seeing as Audi is unwilling to provide a solution.

This post is a little old, did anyone end up with a solution for this?

​​​​
Old 02-05-2017, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Msteve
I just created an account here because I'm having the EXACT same issue in my 2017 S6 with B&O. Dealer is unable to fix, also tried the swapping of amps, and even verified that it was happening on other B&O systems in their inventory. We have waited 2 months and Audi corporate has not responded to either me or the dealership.

Unfortunately, today I had to file a lemon law claim to refund me the money for the car, seeing as Audi is unwilling to provide a solution.

This post is a little old, did anyone end up with a solution for this?

​​​​
You have to swap the amps out with the new model Amps. Have your dealer call the Audi Chantilly, VA dealership and talk to the head tech over there. They know what needs to be done. I went through everything you have described and it took many months for them to figure it out. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Bang & Olufsen Issue with Bass Clipping In and Out