A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bang & Olufsen vs stock Bose.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 07:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I traded in my Panamera 4s with the Bermeister for a 2013 S8 with a B&O. The B&O is much better. I really like the stereo Bluetooth connection with my iPhone 5. I thought the BT connection would distort the sound thought the B&O at high volumes. Sounds great cranked up, can barely tell the difference vs hard wire direct plug in.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Madlax65
I traded in my Panamera 4s with the Bermeister for a 2013 S8 with a B&O. The B&O is much better. I really like the stereo Bluetooth connection with my iPhone 5. I thought the BT connection would distort the sound thought the B&O at high volumes. Sounds great cranked up, can barely tell the difference vs hard wire direct plug in.
Excellent info - thanks. Anybody know whether the 2013 S8 B&O is identical to 2013 A8 B&O? Any comparisons to 2011-2012 A8 B&O? My 2007 S8 was best car I ever owned but the $ are just too high for me to go new or to go S8 again - a used SWB A8 with Sport Package and B&O is my new sweet spot (hopefully, if I can find one).

And thanks to the two guys posting on the impact of aftermarket - it appears to be a calculated risk that I'd prefer to avoid if I can find my used A8 with B&O
Old 02-24-2013, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric5412
3. OH YES!
Sorry to say, but you got hosed.

There is no way a stereo amplifier killed your Tire pressure monitor. "Frequency Interference" Seriously? Sounds to me like they just made that crap up because they couldn't figure out the root cause. Only in Jersey, I guess.

I would have fought that one.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Sorry to say, but you got hosed.

There is no way a stereo amplifier killed your Tire pressure monitor. "Frequency Interference" Seriously? Sounds to me like they just made that crap up because they couldn't figure out the root cause. Only in Jersey, I guess.

I would have fought that one.
Well at least they were nice enough to give you a complimentary car wash!!
Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am glad I went for the B&O sound system, by far better than the stock radio (bose). Now time to break-in the speakers and the S8 engine. Very excited about the car.

The major hangup for me getting the A8 is the small trunk size.
As it exists, I can barely fit my golf bag and my wife's golf bag in the A8 trunk. If I add a subwoofer enclosure, it's going to be tough getting my clubs in at all.

Most likely, I would remove the spare tire and have a custom subwoofer enclosure fabricated in the well. Then build an amp rack on the floor in the rear portion of the trunk, raising the effective floor height a couple of inches.

Or, I might go with an S6 which has more space in the trunk.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

BMW has never given me an ounce of question about my full aftermarket system. But, I've also never had an ounce of problem to compolain to them about the audio since I installed the system.
Prior to my BMW, I've had Lexus and Acura and did major systems in those cars as well. Never any word from the dealers other than genuine interest.

You are correct that an automaker must prove a direct link to a problem being caused by your aftermarket equipment. If you change the amplifier and then blow a speaker, you are out of luck. But if you change a speaker and then your turn signal stops working, they can't deny warranty over that.

The important thing is to find a high-end audio shop that knows these types of cars well. The shop I go to here in Orlando deals with everything from Ferrari/Lambo, Bentley, Rolls, and many other cars which cost far more than Audi or BMW. I'm very confident in their expertise.
Subterfuse (or anyone!)

I bought the 2013 S6 and didn't go with the B/O, and have been quite disappointed with the Bose system. It is a noticeable step down from my 2004 S4 Bose system, believe it or not.

My question to you is if I simply buy new (and presumably better) speakers for my S6 will that significantly upgrade my listening experience, or am I going to have to go go behind the dash and start messing with the 'head unit', amplifiers, etc? Is the 'head unit' different for the Bose factory system vs B/O factory system? (you're going to have to forgive my lack of jargon here) What do you think I will have to spend to get somewhere in the range of the B/O system?

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2013, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

bose was always average and that's about it. I have the B&O sound system on mine, if I didn't I would had invested in the Focal car system.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gorham89
Subterfuse (or anyone!)

I bought the 2013 S6 and didn't go with the B/O, and have been quite disappointed with the Bose system. It is a noticeable step down from my 2004 S4 Bose system, believe it or not.

My question to you is if I simply buy new (and presumably better) speakers for my S6 will that significantly upgrade my listening experience, or am I going to have to go go behind the dash and start messing with the 'head unit', amplifiers, etc? Is the 'head unit' different for the Bose factory system vs B/O factory system? (you're going to have to forgive my lack of jargon here) What do you think I will have to spend to get somewhere in the range of the B/O system?

Thanks!
I purchased an S6 with Bose system for myself just a week ago, you and I are in the same boat.

The short answer to your question is no, you cannot simply replace speakers on the Bose system. Bose is a company that is known for proprietary designs which are normally incompatible with other brands of equipment. In order to do an upgrade you have 2 general options:

1. Add a subwoofer, keeping the rest of the Bose intact.

2. Upgrade to a full aftermarket system, replacing the Bose.

It is fairly simple to add a subwoofer which will give you increased bass performance. There are a few members in the forum who have already done this type of upgrade. It consists of adding a line converter, amplifier and then a subwoofer in the trunk. The line converter is a device which interfaces with the Bose amplifier and allows you to connect your own amplifier(s). Some newer car amplifiers even have the line converter built-in. Since this option keeps the Bose speakers intact, there will not be a need to remove door panels and run speaker cables. You can mount your amp in the trunk, and the battery is already back there which makes life easy.

The other option is to upgrade the entire sound system. This will be what I do to my car, since I already own a majority of the components necessary from my previous car. Just like option 1, this setup requires a line converter, amps, and your own speakers. But this type of installation will be much more labor intensive. It will require a full disassemble of the interior panels to run speaker wires and install speakers.

You may want to follow this thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2852823

I started that thread to serve as a log of my stereo install as it progresses over the coming months.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gorham89
Subterfuse (or anyone!)

Thanks!
I posted a reply but did not answer all of the questions. Here are the other answers.

1. The Bose system and B&O system use the exact same "head unit" which is the Audi MMI. There is a difference in the DSP processing for the B&O vs. Bose, but the hardware for the source unit itself should be the same.

2. You don't need to mess with the MMI to do an audio upgrade. The line converters are designed to connect to the factory amplifier. The factory amp is downstream from the MMi.

3. The amount of money to spend on an audio system upgrade is very personal, and varies greatly. On the entry level, I would think you could add a basic subwoofer, amp and line converter for about $1000, maybe a little less. A full system replacement with entry level speakers/amp might be in the area of $2000.
If you go with higher end gear, the price can get very high. I know a guy with a competition system in his car that was probably $25,000+. Obviously, that is an extreme example... but when you consider that the B&O upgrade would have been about $6000, then there is a lot you can accomplish with that kind of budget.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I purchased an S6 with Bose system for myself just a week ago, you and I are in the same boat.

The short answer to your question is no, you cannot simply replace speakers on the Bose system. Bose is a company that is known for proprietary designs which are normally incompatible with other brands of equipment. In order to do an upgrade you have 2 general options:

1. Add a subwoofer, keeping the rest of the Bose intact.

2. Upgrade to a full aftermarket system, replacing the Bose.

It is fairly simple to add a subwoofer which will give you increased bass performance. There are a few members in the forum who have already done this type of upgrade. It consists of adding a line converter, amplifier and then a subwoofer in the trunk. The line converter is a device which interfaces with the Bose amplifier and allows you to connect your own amplifier(s). Some newer car amplifiers even have the line converter built-in. Since this option keeps the Bose speakers intact, there will not be a need to remove door panels and run speaker cables. You can mount your amp in the trunk, and the battery is already back there which makes life easy.

The other option is to upgrade the entire sound system. This will be what I do to my car, since I already own a majority of the components necessary from my previous car. Just like option 1, this setup requires a line converter, amps, and your own speakers. But this type of installation will be much more labor intensive. It will require a full disassemble of the interior panels to run speaker wires and install speakers.

You may want to follow this thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2852823

I started that thread to serve as a log of my stereo install as it progresses over the coming months.
Subterfuge,

Thanks for the writeup, very helpful. I think if I do anything I would go with option 2. I'm not so much concerned with getting more base out of the system (although I wouldn't object), I'm just really disappointed in the clarity of the music, even at low volumes. Doubt a sub in the trunk would help with that?

I don't mind spending a couple grand on this, I'm just worried about letting some guy that I don't know at a car audio shop tear up my brand new ride! I don't have any "in's" so to speak in the aftermaket audio world, and it seems like from your other thread that there are a lot of things that could go wrong (noise cancelling, parking assist, etc). Do you think this kind of job (replacing amp, converter, wires, speakers) is within the skill level of your average car audio guy?

Quick Reply: Bang & Olufsen vs stock Bose.