A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Been looking at a D3, now looking at a D4... anything I should know?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paddle shifters are not part of drivers asst pkge

At least as far as my car .
I have '11 with sport pkge.
Paddles are either part of sport or conven pkge or standard not sure. To be certain of conven pkge (a must) in pics look for cooled seat switches on console or round massage switch on side of front seats.
Also 4.2 engine in '11 a rock. Later yrs 4.0T faster but known lag issues.
Cheers john
Old 08-11-2014, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Paddles were standard in 2011---I just checked the sales brochure.

Premium pkg included the comfort seats with 22-way adjustment, lumbar support, ventilation & massage, as well as wood trimming on upper rear of front seats. You'll know this package is on the car by looking for the wood trim on upper back of front seats, as well as having perforated leather seating surfaces (for the seat ventilation).

Convenience pkg included power trunk open/close, Audi parking system plus w/rear camera and front & rear ultra-sonic sensors, and keyless entry. This package was a NWB option, but standard on the LWB.

Concur re: the 4.2 N/A engine. It's rock solid and smooth as butter, but its real quickness comes from the 8-speed tranny IMO. As for it's 4.0T V8 twin-turbo replacement, I test drove it in a late build 2014 A8L and it's a blast; no noticeable turbo or throttle lag issues on the test drive---with earlier throttle lag problems now being cured (mostly) with a software update that addressed an issue with an electrical power dip momentarily cutting the fuel supply upon throttle input after a quick stop or rolling stop; update was released in Jan'14...at least that's what I've read on the S6 forum. Was actually darn dangerous when slowing down/stopping before turning into traffic at stop light intersections.

Last edited by derfA8L; 08-11-2014 at 04:33 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Premium pkg included the comfort seats with 22-way adjustment, lumbar support, ventilation & massage, as well as wood trimming on upper rear of front seats. You'll know this package is on the car by looking for the wood trim on upper back of front seats, as well as having perforated leather seating surfaces (for the seat ventilation).

Concur re: the 4.2 N/A engine. It's rock solid and smooth as butter, but its real quickness comes from the 8-speed tranny IMO. As for it's 4.0T V8 twin-turbo replacement, I test drove it in a late build 2014 A8L and it's a blast; no noticeable turbo or throttle lag issues on the test drive---with earlier throttle lag problems now being cured (mostly) with a software update that addressed an issue with an electrical power dip momentarily cutting the fuel supply upon throttle input after a quick stop or rolling stop; update was released in Jan'14...at least that's what I've read on the S6 forum. Was actually darn dangerous when slowing down/stopping before turning into traffic at stop light intersections.
So, is it safe to assume that if the car has ventilated front seats that is has the "Premium Package" with the 22-way seats, etc? That's how I am reading this.

As for the car being a solid vehicle, since it has over 80K miles, should I be negotiating the price a bit more? I have cash on hand, and I know that's a powerful weapon when negotiating with car dealers.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, ventilated seats = premium package.

As for negotiating---In my experience 80,000 miles is high mileage on a less than 4 year old car. I would certainly look at the various used car pricing guides to get a feel for current values on high mileage 2011 A8's; research this car's service history from the dealer; then negotiate the best deal possible that you are comfortable with. Don't be afraid to present a low ball offer; most they can say is no and counter your offer.

Even though my 2011 A8 has been solid as a rock, I'd consider this however, most pre-owned 2011 A8's typically do not yet have 80,000 miles on them, therefore a realistic picture of what can/will require repairs hasn't yet developed. What I can say with some authority is that these cars have very sophisticated systems that are expensive to repair. With 80K miles, those repairs will come up on you faster than most other buyers of a pre-owned 2011 D4. If you're not afraid of dealing with this potentiality, go for it---but don't be afraid to walk away from this car IMHO.

Last edited by derfA8L; 08-11-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To add to derfA8L's response... high miles with 80K right now.

How many miles do you plan to put on every year times how long you plan to own the vehicle.
Most people will end up at over 150k in 5 more years.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Okay guys, some dealer has one that still has an active factory warranty according to Carfax. After talking them into giving me the Carfax, it also shows structural damage, airbag deployment, etc.

The photos of the car look incredible and immaculate.

But Audi still has an active factory warranty for a car that was damaged this way???
Old 08-12-2014, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is just unreal... Audi says the warranty is still active, but the Audi dealers involved won't tell me anything about service history. Their body shop refuses to tell me if the vehicle had unibody or any other structural damage for "security purposes". I explained that I don't want to know any personal information about the previous owner and since the nature of the damage reflects the vehicle's resale value and I merely want to know if it was cosmetic damage or real structural issues, but that didn't matter: "It's company policy not to disclose the nature of body work or repairs."

Someone is getting a Yelp review.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Don't just walk, run away from that car as fast as you can! I can see it still carrying the factory warranty if repairs were done to original spec, but that doesn't mean that you won't be constantly going back to dealer for covered issues that relate back to the accident. Worst case scenario is that it won't drive right, and/or won't hold it's wheel alignment. Just not worth it IMO.

Last edited by derfA8L; 08-12-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Don't just walk, run away from that car as fast as you can! I can see it still carrying the factory warranty if repairs were done to original spec, but that doesn't mean that you won't be constantly going back to dealer for coveted issues that relate back to the accident. Worst case scenario is that it won't drive right, and/or won't hold it's wheel alignment. Just not worth it IMO.
Yup. That's my thoughts exactly. I love how reluctant the dealer was to send the Carfax. When he sent it over and we chatted about it, it's clear that they want to move the vehicle. I just don't trust one with ten lines of reported damage.

I may have found another one and it does have a clean Carfax for once. Sigh. The hunt for this elusive beast continues!
Old 08-12-2014, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by needles
Yup. That's my thoughts exactly. I love how reluctant the dealer was to send the Carfax. When he sent it over and we chatted about it, it's clear that they want to move the vehicle. I just don't trust one with ten lines of reported damage.

I may have found another one and it does have a clean Carfax for once. Sigh. The hunt for this elusive beast continues!
Keep looking. I'm sure you will have luck. There are bound to be a number of relatively "clean" 2011 MY A8s to choose as the end of the 36/39 month lease cycle is either here or approaching for many of these cars.

Quick Reply: Been looking at a D3, now looking at a D4... anything I should know?