A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beginning and end of D5 competition; not impressed by Audi's release

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Beginning and end of D5 competition; not impressed by Audi's release

Table below says it all. From: https://www.yahoo.com/tech/tesla-mod...190134301.html

Come on guys, you are being eaten for lunch. Here in Silicon Valley, big Audis are a total afterthought these days and oh so yesterday. Meantime Teslas are dime a dozen Atherton Poniacs, yet sold at same price point as A8 to S8 range. Same sorry situation now in SoCal from what dealer admitted when I bought my CPO. I can guess it is headed that way in #1 A8 market--FL geezers too. Look at table below--almost rounding error nationwide.

Skip the comparo's almost these days to the Merc. Look at the sales table. Audi just can't seem to think this way. Center of the universe German think. Come on, you literally have executives now under indictment, some in jail awaiting trial on TDI debacle. You have greenwashed the world with your "new" strategy on lots o' electric vehicles and paid many billions. Yet on big announce day, you couldn't show something definitive--or at least get the press out about it from anything I have read so far. About specifics of your electric strategy down to actual available product and not just marketing platitudes? You have had what--four years or more on development, Q5 hybrid back to 2012/2013, going on 2 years since your TDI fraud was outed, etc. Faulty launch by my expectations, let alone real world market metrics.

Next time, Audi you might get a new marketing team gets a hell of a lot better info out there than what I have found so far. And while you are at it, address and compete with the market two years ago, let alone almost a year from now when you will finally get the car here.
P.S. Anyone who knows my posts knows I am anything but a Tesla fan boy. If they could build to now Audi quality and to leading edge Audi interiors, maybe. But at this rate, may be an S gen 2 instead of D5. Audi, get in the game. America's game, not German luxobarge centric for dinosaurs. Oh, and never mind their clock is being cleaned on home turf too, but that's another set of data.
Attached Images  

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-11-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tesla is taking market share from everyone else that looks like the story here.
Old 07-11-2017, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

But for the govt subsidy on the Tesla, guess how many they would sell?

The fact that an aged A6, A7 and A8 still outsell other brands is still a telling tale.

To say the world has embraced electrics is nonsense - it hasn't. Some small segments of the country have, but outside of those, the cars won't sell because the infrastructure isn't there to support it. Time will tell, but no electric Audi is going to steal a show just yet.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Tesla loses $30k on every car it sells. Government tax credits and the buyer subsidy are the only things keeping it in business. Musk is a genius at destroying capital.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

and it begs the question, market share - of what exactly? One of the slimmest markets out there.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tesla is actually quite profitable. They just reinvest like crazy.

Link
Old 07-11-2017, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
Tesla is actually quite profitable. They just reinvest like crazy.

Link

Who wrote that article exactly? A paid blogger. If you google "is tesla profitable", the top 3 articles are all from that same blog....

About this article:Collapse
Author payment: $35 + $0.01/page view. Authors of PRO articles receive a minimum guaranteed payment of $150-500.
Tagged: Investing Ideas, Long Ideas, Consumer Goods, Auto Manufacturers - Major
Want to share your opinion on this article? Add a comment.
Disagree with this article? Submit your own.

Tesla's car is neat. I've driven it. But it's a brand who's value is based on hope, not on firm (as of yet) results. It is also very highly leveraged

Last edited by SCarGuy; 07-11-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:14 PM
Perpetually confused

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
Who wrote that article exactly? A paid blogger. If you google "is tesla profitable", the top 3 articles are all from that same blog....

About this article:Collapse
Author payment: $35 + $0.01/page view. Authors of PRO articles receive a minimum guaranteed payment of $150-500.
Tagged: Investing Ideas, Long Ideas, Consumer Goods, Auto Manufacturers - Major
Want to share your opinion on this article? Add a comment.
Disagree with this article? Submit your own.

Tesla's car is neat. I've driven it. But it's a brand who's value is based on hope, not on firm (as of yet) results. It is also very highly leveraged
But who cares about all that ? At the end of the day, it's still a highly desirable car and selling 6X more than the A8.
Let's not dismiss the Panamera either, I took a '15 out for a test drive last month and really, really enjoyed it, it just looked...well we know what it looked like. The new body style however pretty much nails it.

The A7 is beautiful on the outside, why could Audi not do something equally bold with the A8's exterior.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Electrics to me include plug in hybrids. To say after four years they don't have the approvals seems like a joke to me. Oh, and those approvals aren't US type regulatory numbers I have seen either, so more smoke. Plug in hybrids will essentially be required to sell luxo-barges for Euro exec's driven in large Euro cities in coming years--I'm referring to Umwelt (environmental) zones in inner cities for those who know the issue. So a no brainer Audi needs it for D5.

Again, not a Tesla fan boy, so don't get lost there. But they are eating the A8's lunch, and even almost new design Merc and BMW. I actually think Tesla is selling as much or more on the gimmicks, the iPhone type cool factor (and screen) and the automation these days. I just look around and it is Tesla's everywhere, D4's essentially nowhere. Doesn't take a rocket scientist, no matter the source/bearer of the bad news stats. Meantime, gotta have electric capabilities, including plug ins. And even if I personally might by an S8. Going upstream against where the sales traction is, or at least not even having an entry in the race, seems like a really crap product marketing and planning decision to me.

Frankly even on strictly "conventional motors," I expect more at a car launch for what will be US spec cars than essentially a V6 out of an S4. I guess it is the newer one since in one place in the Audi press release it refers to a "turbo," not a supercharger. Meantime it seems like D5 got a little lost in their trying to mimick a big Apple or Oracle or whomever type event/show. Parse through it and between the TDI's that are history here, the uber low volume W12 that ain't finalized even and the 4.0T that is delayed launch, they just announced what appears to be...a grand total of one motor for the US market. Not clear to me on 4.0T they are really just saying a slightly revised spec sheet, add 10HP current motor (as they have 3 times on D4), or the "delayed launch" means they are cutting over to the Porsche supplied variant since Porsche now has the lead for them. Meantime, reminds me of the Q7 which like 18 months in now in U.S. for second generation still has...one motor.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-11-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:05 PM
L0U
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Tesla stock is way overvalued. I'm short on tesla for the next 12 months.

Quick Reply: Beginning and end of D5 competition; not impressed by Audi's release