A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to buy Audi Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to buy Audi Extended Warranty

I am a new owner of a 2014 Audi A8 4.0T. Even though I have 18 months of warranty left, I would like to buy extended Audi warranty.

Could someone tell me the best source for buying it? I am coming from the Lexus LS world, where dealers sold warranty across state very competitively.

So far, the car has been a blast to drive. I am not enamored by the whiny road noise of the 20" Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season Tires. They have 18K miles on them, with about 60% of tread remaining.

Any advice on the quietest 20" tires for the A8? I live in Arizona, so snow and rain are not usually encountered.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Do an AudiWorld Global search - there are many, many threads on extended warranties. Audi does not offer them (other than CPO) - dealers sell third party warranties, often sourced by Fidelity. There are other warranty companies that sell online but be sure you carefully read the fine print of each contract and research customer reviews before committing. There are many different plans, not everything will be covered and there may be deductibles. Also, some review better than others for customer service and claim process.

You'll get lots of opinions on tire favorites. Mine is the Continental DWS 06 (not the original DWS). Best UHP all season tires I've owned. Quiet and excellent A/S dry and wet performance. Beyond the grandmother surveys here, TireRack.com is a good source for reviews, comparisons and very competitive pricing.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Do an AudiWorld Global search - there are many, many threads on extended warranties. Audi does not offer them (other than CPO) - dealers sell third party warranties, often sourced by Fidelity. There are other warranty companies that sell online but be sure you carefully read the fine print of each contract and research customer reviews before committing. There are many different plans, not everything will be covered and there may be deductibles. Also, some review better than others for customer service and claim process.

You'll get lots of opinions on tire favorites. Mine is the Continental DWS 06 (not the original DWS). Best UHP all season tires I've owned. Quiet and excellent A/S dry and wet performance. Beyond the grandmother surveys here, TireRack.com is a good source for reviews, comparisons and very competitive pricing.
+1 generally.

If 20's, also note factory size at 265/40-20 has extremely limited choices. Basically another one off Audi oddball. Not a fan of this stuff, which seems often part of a price negotiation with manufacturer that probably gets them cheaper tires and then owners paying more for replacements. How it came to be aside, consider going to 275/40-20. Many more choices in that size. How you get to the Conti DWS 06 choice too. Size I run on S8 on same 20 x 9 wheels.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-17-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Amazing how many choices in the 275/40-20 size! Thanks MP!
Old 08-17-2016, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
+1 generally.

If 20's, also note factory size at 265/40-20 has extremely limited choices. Basically another one off Audi oddball. Not a fan of this stuff, which seems often part of a price negotiation with manufacturer that probably gets them cheaper tires and then owners paying more for replacements. How it came to be aside, consider going to 275/40-20. Many more choices in that size. How you get to the Conti DWS 06 choice too. Size I run on S8 on same 20 x 9 wheels.
I have the 265/40/20. I did not know that 275/40/20 could be mounted on the same wheels. If it is true, then that's what I will do.

Any opinions on the quietest 275/40/20 tires? I prefer summer ones, since its always summer in Arizona.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Cirrusaudi
I am a new owner of a 2014 Audi A8 4.0T. Even though I have 18 months of warranty left, I would like to buy extended Audi warranty.

Could someone tell me the best source for buying it? I am coming from the Lexus LS world, where dealers sold warranty across state very competitively.

So far, the car has been a blast to drive. I am not enamored by the whiny road noise of the 20" Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season Tires. They have 18K miles on them, with about 60% of tread remaining.

Any advice on the quietest 20" tires for the A8? I live in Arizona, so snow and rain are not usually encountered.
I have the 255/45R20 Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 tires on my A8L which are super quiet and smooth compared to the Pirellis. I highly recommend them.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I put on new Pirellis Pzero 265/40 with the noice cancellation system 2 weeks ago. Definently quieter than the original pirelli pzero tires. After 30k miles on the original pirelli tires, they were shot. Extremely noisy.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Also, I bought my warranty for my a8 from Troy Dietrich from FD-warranty.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Cirrusaudi
I have the 265/40/20. I did not know that 275/40/20 could be mounted on the same wheels. If it is true, then that's what I will do.

Any opinions on the quietest 275/40/20 tires? I prefer summer ones, since its always summer in Arizona.
Originally Posted by the_duke
Amazing how many choices in the 275/40-20 size! Thanks MP!
I run the 275/40-20 on Audi D4 OE wheels. Spec for 9" wheel widths goes up to 275; shown for all the TireRack choices for example. Also what D3's ran with optional 20s, there 275/35-20. Only the D3 S8 ran a 265/35-20, which likewise was another under supported orphan tire size.

Byproduct BTW is tire diameter a 275/40 goes up to around 28.7 inches, from 28.3 in a typical 265/40. That raises car 2/10's of an inch for those with an aggressive chin bumper like my S8, yet at same time fills in wheel wells that same 2/10's all the way around. Or gives you the same 2/10's you can squeeze into more VCDS drop yet be no closer to the real world pavement for everyday hazards. On mine it went from slightly optimistic speedo to dead on when I tested it with a handheld GPS app pre and post.

FWIW, I am running the Conti DW's for summers. As quiet to my old ears as the original Dunlop noise reducing Sport Maxx's car came with in 275/35-21's; ten years and 110K miles prior running experience on the D3 W12 on 275s in Michelin PS2s, AS+'s and SportMaxx's. For those who saw my wheel post, I l iiposuctioned nine pounds of unsprung rotating mass weight per wheel simply in resizing to 20's from the badly overweight Audi 21's. On a more tightly sprung S8 it cleaned up the ride some as well. If you compare the Conti DW's to the OE summer fitment choice (Conti CS3) for same manufacturer, it costs somewhat less and seems to have at least the same if not better reviews in general. Not nearly enough miles yet to assess wear.

Last for anyone still reading: for owners on a lease, I expect those would require the tires to stay at stock size. CPO also requires that IIRC if you contemplating trading a very clean car where the dealer might CPO it and give you a better trade price. On the other hand, if a long term owner like me or you will burn through at least the next set of tires to be installed, then get what you want as long as it fits the wheel spec and has an adequate load and speed rating for your car.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 08-17-2016 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Love the Michelins, always had them on my BMWs. As for the warranty, did you buy the 2014 new or used? I assume used and you're just a new owner of it. Did you not get it from an Audi dealer? I ask because it should be CPO'd or might be I should say. If not then maybe try Mercury for extended warranties. I used them for my last BMW and they were great and reasonably priced and had a payment plan over 2 years.

Quick Reply: Best way to buy Audi Extended Warranty