A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blacked out grill

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoX750Li
Hilarious she used balloons behind those grills and did all that taping on the car-those lower BMW grills pop right out in 2 seconds.
unfortunately, the lower grills on the BMW do not pop right out, trust me. I have an e93 now and they're a pain. The top kidney grilles do just yank right out. I actually did paint my lower grills on the BMW, but didn't use the balloons. I'm sure my radiator is a nice black color now...
Old 01-15-2019, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by audisession
it was easy to do - 2 cans of black plastic dip spray can and one can of glossifier

close up it looks super professional

Just looking at this as I'm thinking of doing this myself. Quick question. The audi rings on the grill you have left silver, how did you do that? Did you take them off and then put them back on, mask them up or peel the platidip off them after you'd finished or something else?

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
09S5 (04-25-2021)
Old 01-17-2019, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by davey_b
Just looking at this as I'm thinking of doing this myself. Quick question. The audi rings on the grill you have left silver, how did you do that? Did you take them off and then put them back on, mask them up or peel the platidip off them after you'd finished or something else?

Thanks
It looks like he sprayed the rings black them peeled them rather than going through the motions of removing them...
Old 01-18-2019, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mdjdc
It looks like he sprayed the rings black them peeled them rather than going through the motions of removing them...
Think you might be right.

I popped off the rings that are around my ACC radar sensors the other night and that was pretty straightforward. I wonder if it's a similar thing to get the audi rings off and if I reckon that would be easier than peeling off the plastidip

UPDATE

Found this, looks like it might be pretty doable:

Last edited by davey_b; 01-18-2019 at 06:03 AM.
09S5 (04-25-2021)
Old 01-21-2019, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by davey_b

Thanks

Hi sorry for the late reply: correct I sprayed it all. Took 3 mins to peel it off the rings. Seemed faster and less riskier than popping off the rings and putting them back in. When I tried to pop them off I got worried I would break a clip. Peeling is super easy
Old 01-21-2019, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Update: it's been about 20 months and 2 winters since I did the plastidip. It's still holding up well.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by audisession
Update: it's been about 20 months and 2 winters since I did the plastidip. It's still holding up well.
Thanks for the update. I think I may well do this when the weather is warmer so good to have this info. Great to hear it's still holding up.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:03 AM
D4 in PA

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts

I think it looks spectacular. I took to Photoshop to see what it would look like if I black out just the horizontal grill lines or the entire grill. I love both!

Last edited by TinyElviss; 01-22-2019 at 05:03 AM. Reason: spell
09S5 (04-25-2021)
Old 01-22-2019, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TinyElviss
I think it looks spectacular. I took to Photoshop to see what it would look like if I black out just the horizontal grill lines or the entire grill. I love both!

Hahaha, I did the same to mine yesterday. Think I'm going to black out my grille and then see if I want to wrap the chrome trim around my windows
Old 01-22-2019, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Soon as the weather clears up (March?) I'll be doing the same.
Going to use regular plasti dip black for the base layers then top two layers I'll use Dip-your-Car new satin black layers
https://www.dipyourcar.com/collections/aerosol-colors

Front grill etc to start with.

Quick Reply: Blacked out grill