A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Pads

I have to change my brake pads soon not sure why as I am at only 33,000km (19,800 miles). The warning light came on the dash. Can you all provide a good aftermarket pad for the 2013 S8 that is low dust and better than the stock pads? I hate how much dust the stock pads produce. I wash my car and after 1 drive the wheels look dirty.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Search is your friend........................

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...rakes-2910908/
Old 01-19-2017, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by andrewmr
Search is your friend........................

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...rakes-2910908/
I did a search and over 300 posts popped up... most were irrelevant.

Looks like EBC red or yellow is what people are recommending.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 579 Likes on 485 Posts

There is a lot of generally bad information around about brake parts for these. Starts with misunderstanding about the specialized nature of rotors that many posts seems to just assume are "standard" with the usual 20 choices. There aren't.

For me its easy and consistent w/ my prior choice. EBC reds. Used several times/changes on D3 W12. EBC yellows BTW are probably not low dust, at least AFAIK. Can be prone to some incremental noise too. Other choice mentioned some--that isn't vaporware that is--are Disc Italia's from a place called BrakeWorld in FL. I have always suspected it's a house/private label brand, but they try to position like it is a real company. You can find some info about owner experience w/ them on other boards, more likely C7 S6 or S7.

As w/ prior posts, make sure to realize there is the issue/question of whether you reuse the sound dampeners stuck on back of pads (and $200+ cost to get new ones in USA) and that wear sensor is no longer incorporated in the pads like in prior Audi designs.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
There is a lot of generally bad information around about brake parts for these. Starts with misunderstanding about the specialized nature of rotors that many posts seems to just assume are "standard" with the usual 20 choices. There aren't.

For me its easy and consistent w/ my prior choice. EBC reds. Used several times/changes on D3 W12. EBC yellows BTW are probably not low dust, at least AFAIK. Can be prone to some incremental noise too. Other choice mentioned some--that isn't vaporware that is--are Disc Italia's from a place called BrakeWorld in FL. I have always suspected it's a house/private label brand, but they try to position like it is a real company. You can find some info about owner experience w/ them on other boards, more likely C7 S6 or S7.

As w/ prior posts, make sure to realize there is the issue/question of whether you reuse the sound dampeners stuck on back of pads (and $200+ cost to get new ones in USA) and that wear sensor is no longer incorporated in the pads like in prior Audi designs.
Is 20k miles typical for S8 pad life? Will dealer require new rotors for routine pad replacement? Estimated cost for pad/rotor replacement on '15/'16 S8?
Much appreciated.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Uber.8
Is 20k miles typical for S8 pad life? Will dealer require new rotors for routine pad replacement? Estimated cost for pad/rotor replacement on '15/'16 S8?
Much appreciated.
No specific info, but basically pricy. Dealer retail on parts easily adds up to over $1000 if rotors needed and the vibration dampers/shims are replaced. Pad set alone is actually probably the least expensive element of it. Sense of posts is could be quoted at even $ two grand w/ rotors.

Dealers love to sell rotors and get profit margin--probably among their easiest cash cows in whole repair biz. But always insist on wear spec and current measurement for both pads and rotors in any replace decision. My rule of thumb is every other pad set, but it varies w/ rotor spec and how hard driven. Dealers also sometimes spin that "by the next time it will need pads rotors will be under spec, so replace them now. Kind of like saying in 10K miles your tires will be more worn and wear bars will then show, so replace them now." Sheep, shears and cash.

20K sounds short, but again depend on driving style. I was getting 30+ to 40K miles on my D3 W12 pads at similar vehicle weight and same general wheel sizing and weights. Also got to every other pad change for rotor life with it only dropping to spec. min near very end of second pad set life. Both dealer/OE and EBC reds wore similarly, but EBC's were definitely less dust w/ still similar (solid) feel. Also depends again on dealer honesty or not. If light is on for worn pads, foregone conclusion. If light not on, being upsold/forward sold. OP also wants lower dust and therefore non dealer pads, so that wouldn't be a dealer brake job.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-19-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had an oil change performed 3 weeks ago and they said my pads are at 50%, 2 weeks later the warning light comes on. I've been complaining about pre-mature warnings from this vehicle for a while but its like pulling teeth with the dealer. For instance, I fill my washer fluid and after 2 - 3 weeks without using it the warning light comes on stating I have low windshield washer fluid.

Last edited by triniexr; 01-20-2017 at 05:35 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default But you didn't say whether your blinker fluid was in fact low?

Originally Posted by triniexr
I had an oil change performed 3 weeks ago and they said my pads are at 50%, 2 weeks later the warning light comes on. I've been complaining about immature warnings from this vehicle for a while but its like pulling teeth with the dealer. For instance, I fill my washer fluid and after 2 - 3 weeks without using it the warning light comes on stating I have low windshield washer fluid.
If filling the fluid turned off the warning light for a couple weeks but it then came back on and in fact your washer fluid was the same, then you have an issue with a defective fluid level sensor that should be replaced accordingly.

As for brakes, 8s are different from 6s, but I've run over 100,000 miles on a set of rotors (02S6), just replacing the OEM pads with Hawk HPS. They're slightly less dusty than OEM. OTOH, I use OEM BMW pads on my E46 M3 for street use...I just like the OEM feel. The M3 is probably more sensitive than the S6.

Some people just bypass the brake pad warning sensor...I believe you you will know when the pads are worn when they grind, especially when worn rotors' ridge hits the brake pad backing plate 2-4mm before the pad itself is worn! IMHO the 1mm per side Audi rotor wear limit is ridiculous...Audi hasn't and probably won't share the engineering decision (more likely marketing) to set that low limit.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
If filling the fluid turned off the warning light for a couple weeks but it then came back on and in fact your washer fluid was the same, then you have an issue with a defective fluid level sensor that should be replaced accordingly.

As for brakes, 8s are different from 6s, but I've run over 100,000 miles on a set of rotors (02S6), just replacing the OEM pads with Hawk HPS. They're slightly less dusty than OEM. OTOH, I use OEM BMW pads on my E46 M3 for street use...I just like the OEM feel. The M3 is probably more sensitive than the S6.

Some people just bypass the brake pad warning sensor...I believe you you will know when the pads are worn when they grind, especially when worn rotors' ridge hits the brake pad backing plate 2-4mm before the pad itself is worn! IMHO the 1mm per side Audi rotor wear limit is ridiculous...Audi hasn't and probably won't share the engineering decision (more likely marketing) to set that low limit.
What is the measurement of a brand new OEM pad? If i'm at 50% I would imagine its not 1mm (I hope).
Old 01-20-2017, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by triniexr
What is the measurement of a brand new OEM pad? If i'm at 50% I would imagine its not 1mm (I hope).
Pad sensor throws at something like 3mm of remaining material. New is around 12mm of material, not including backing plate. Sensor is on only one side now IIRC, and in turn only one pad per side. So if measurement taken elsewhere, could be some variance there though usually pretty similar.

Low washer fluid after a few weeks minimal use after complete refilling usually means a cracked hose in the system, often to headlights or other squirters. Sometimes a bad pump that cracks or a bad reservoir that has a leak. But honestly from experience filling my S8, the fill opening is quite small and a little finicky. If you filled it personally, back to leak scenario. If someone else filled it like the dealer, 50%+ chance it didn't really get filled. Seen it personally where they don't refill on service as the service list says they should, let alone giving me loaners with the fill light on.

On brakes, may seem obvious but just in case... Are you sure it is worn pads triggering light? Sure it is the fronts? Rears wear just as fast as fronts on these from my D3 W12 experience (unlike other prior Audis of mine), and rear pads remain very small area wise compared to fronts. And, from BTDT, be sure it isn't low brake fluid from general pad wear that causes fluid level to drop some over wear cycle. That last one can come up as episodic/only during hard braking or acceleration when it happens early on. With a relatively new one and no personal issues so far, I don't know how clearly the various warnings are conveyed.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-20-2017 at 07:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads