AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/)
-   -   Brake Pads/Rotors? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d4-platform-discussion-190/brake-pads-rotors-2975367/)

David Shoemaker 07-06-2019 08:21 AM

Brake Pads/Rotors?

Looking for recommendations for replacement pads/rotors for my 2014 S8. Going to replace each corner. Current stock setup has been squeaking at every light and hoping to get away from that - open to aftermarket options.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

bswartz 07-08-2019 08:49 PM

Check out FCPEuro

Originally Posted by David Shoemaker (Post 25339224)
Looking for recommendations for replacement pads/rotors for my 2014 S8. Going to replace each corner. Current stock setup has been squeaking at every light and hoping to get away from that - open to aftermarket options.

I'm not an Audi brake expert, but here is my recent experience. I just replaced my rotors and pads on my 2015 A8L with the sport option. Uses 380mm rotors. I put on the Zimmerman/Akebono kit, and so far (knock on wood), they don't squeak. I've only driven about 700 miles with them so far, and I did a full hour of the recommended break-in. (Apply brakes 100km down to 50km and then drive 3 minutes for cooling. Do this 15 times, then repeat at 100km down to 25km for 15 times.) I also applied brake grease liberally to the back of the pads.

Check out https://www.fcpeuro.com/Audi-parts/S...b=5&d=15442&v=

For the S8, they are recommending the same that I have on my car.

Gary Knox 07-09-2019 05:23 AM

For some reason, this response from yesterday was posted in an earlier thread! I'm repeating it here for clarity.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just finished replacing both F & R on my '14 A8. I installed Akebono ceramic pads, and have only driven about 100 miles on them, but both my wife and I like them better than the previous pads that were OE (F about 2/3rds worn, rear about 4/5ths). I've used Akebono on several cars in the past and like their feel, stopping ability and very low dusting.

I also wrote up the procedures I used. IF you've not done this before on an Audi and want the procedures, send me a private message with your email address and I'll forward you a copy. I used the Ross-Tech VAG system for the rear replacement - Electronic Parking Brakes.

Gary-

Kingmoe82 07-11-2019 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by bswartz (Post 25340196)
I'm not an Audi brake expert, but here is my recent experience. I just replaced my rotors and pads on my 2015 A8L with the sport option. Uses 380mm rotors. I put on the Zimmerman/Akebono kit, and so far (knock on wood), they don't squeak. I've only driven about 700 miles with them so far, and I did a full hour of the recommended break-in. (Apply brakes 100km down to 50km and then drive 3 minutes for cooling. Do this 15 times, then repeat at 100km down to 25km for 15 times.) I also applied brake grease liberally to the back of the pads.

Check out https://www.fcpeuro.com/Audi-parts/S...b=5&d=15442&v=

For the S8, they are recommending the same that I have on my car.

Did it come with the brake indicator that the dealership pretty much says you have to buy? My fronts are squealing like scratching on a chalkboard. But, I was told that it's my rotors (I have plenty of meat on the pads) and they can be turned by an independent shop, while the dealer told me my rotors can't be turned, the shop works on nothing but audis so if they say they can be turned I'll believe then. Nonetheless I would like to go with this setup, just wanted to know if it requires the indicator, and also wanted to know if you did it yourself. Thanks

MP4.2+6.0 07-11-2019 11:56 AM

Bottom line shop is wrong.

If I can suggest, also take the time to search and review prior threads on this board about the brakes. Otherwise you risk well intentioned but somewhat random answers. There is better information in historical threads but you have to spend some time to get up to speed. For each poster on this thread with questions, please also be specific about exactly which motor D4 you have. The thread starts with an S8, but now is unclear with newest reply/question. Also be more specific with miles on car, symptoms, any measured wear on rotors or pads that is available, etc.

Meantime variously:

S8 front rotor size is not 4.0T A8 size. It's larger at 400mm. That also makes the FCP site flat out wrong when you look at it (the S8 reference), which is unfortunate. That's a clue immediately to step away from keyboard and use the old fashioned phone to an 800 number to confirm fitment, preferably by VIN. Pretty much every motor has its own front rotor size on D4's, at least for the USA ones. The on line dealer information is sometimes confused too--due to some lame third party info they all use since Audi thinks its parts diagrams are crown jewel valuable for on line use. Net, better to do it by VIN and phone to be sure if you are not specifically familiar with your car's rotor sizing.

Even in the 380mm size for 4.0T A8, the rotors are over $100 less per set than the Zimmerman's from audiusaparts.com (Audi dealer in Portland OR area) and free ship and no tax. FCP does have the replacement guaranty. Thus, don't assume aftermarket is cheaper than dealer if you source it right.

Zimmerman apparently has the 380mm size. Realize though these probably come from the same supplier Audi uses; the front design is patented and among the reasons sourcing of true third party rotors is hard.

In the patent is why the shop is wrong--for the fronts. These are fairly trick quasi two piece rotors--in any of the front fitment sizes IIRC, but definitely the 380's and 400's. The rings are held by permanent axial pins. You don't machine those using standard equipment since pressure from one side will push the ring to the side at its mount points. Honestly for a shop that supposedly does only Audi, this has been known for the better part of ten years from when the rotors first showed up on vehicles like prior M5 and M6 and also R8 and even old C5 RS6. Now common on all the performance Audis. But if they see mostly A4's and Q5's and such, those are the commodity cast iron front set ups that are hardly different than a bigger motor Golf. To be fair, a lot of these later performance designs are now just coming off warranty and getting to miles where brake work is getting common; the RS4 and 5 were the first places they were seen in some volume. The design and weight savings are also why using a typical cast iron rotor in front would be a step down, even if you could find them--more unsprung rotation weight on an already porky vehicle and suspension set up.

Rule of thumb is Audis often go two pad changes per set of rotors. Not 100%, but decent rule of thumb. Wear measurements are the real answer here.

S8 front brakes also use pad to piston stick on dampeners in the nice Brembo set up that (may) help noise reduction. Search on prior posts. Pricy ($200+ for set). No known third party supplier. Some try to re use to save money. A8's use simpler design typical volume production semi floating calipers and then don't have those stick on dampeners.

Yes, Audi D4's use front wear sensors. If not yet triggered, can in theory be carefully removed and reused. In practice I think they often get broken in trying. Available from third party suppliers for (a lot) less than dealer OE.

FWIW, I use EBD Red pads typically, which are likewise lower dust and quiet. Sounds like Akebono now has theirs available too. But I don't have any noise issues on my S8 brakes with OE pads either so far. EBC's come with a break in compound on pad that helps bedding. Critical any time there is a pad change from one brand of ceramic to another to do the appropriate rotor prep or have that sort of bedding compound. One of the ways the squeals and noises arise if ceramic choices are mixed over time.

Net, get more info to get up to speed here. Provide more info on car situation and spec. And short version, if pads in good shape, first just try rebedding. Next, I would try a pad swap if rotor wear is in spec. At same time deglazing rotors (while stil mounted on car) might help. Typical sandpaper stuff...search....

PhillyVance 07-11-2019 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by David Shoemaker (Post 25339224)

I just did it, I will inbox you my number and tell you what not do.

bswartz 07-11-2019 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Kingmoe82 (Post 25341271)
Did it come with the brake indicator that the dealership pretty much says you have to buy? My fronts are squealing like scratching on a chalkboard. But, I was told that it's my rotors (I have plenty of meat on the pads) and they can be turned by an independent shop, while the dealer told me my rotors can't be turned, the shop works on nothing but audis so if they say they can be turned I'll believe then. Nonetheless I would like to go with this setup, just wanted to know if it requires the indicator, and also wanted to know if you did it yourself. Thanks

So I would refer to MP4.2+6.0. He helped me. I measured mine and validated against the VIN to make sure I purchased the right ones. I bought a kit from FCP that did include the sensor, but I did not needed the replacement because I did not break the spring. But I used the new one anyway.

But I compare prices from 2 Audi parts sites and FCP and I found FCP to be cheaper. I was a little surprised that MP4.2+6.0 said he found the Audi parts cheaper than FCP. So definitely do your own price searching.

I did all own my work because MP4.2+6.0 said I should 🙂

PhillyVance 07-11-2019 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by bswartz (Post 25341403)
So I would refer to MP4.2+6.0. He helped me. I measured mine and validated against the VIN to make sure I purchased the right ones. I bought a kit from FCP that did include the sensor, but I did not needed the replacement because I did not break the spring. But I used the new one anyway.

But I compare prices from 2 Audi parts sites and FCP and I found FCP to be cheaper. I was a little surprised that MP4.2+6.0 said he found the Audi parts cheaper than FCP. So definitely do your own price searching.

I did all own my work because MP4.2+6.0 said I should 🙂

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...f06742be59.jpg
Front and Back pads and rotors for 626. You can get the sensors on Ebay. Replace everything, it's no more work, you have to remove the caliper bolts anyway just to get the pads out. Ever DIY brembo video on YouTube does not apply to Audi's.

PhillyVance 07-11-2019 04:12 PM

Menlo Park is thee guru here. You should definitely follow his advice. I have done brakes on my D4 A8L and my D4 S8. They are completely different, the A8L was a lot harder and you needed more tools. The S8 may just be the easiest brakes I have ever changed. The hardest part on the S8 is getting the pads back into the caliper. I did not read Menlo's post, I do not have to, after being on here for 4 years I have yet to see anyone with more complete information. He says alot of shops/websites are wrong and he is always right. It's even to the point that I skip past all other posts and read his. If I post, I will even ask for him to reply. You can go to his profile and see his replies for everything. I suggest this if you have free time and want to know everything about your S8.

I sent you my phone number, throw me a text when you are gonna start and I will make sure I check my phone regularly while you do them. You are going to have a question that needs a quick answer.

Ohh harbor freight has torque wrenches for about 10 bucks last time I checked. Make sure you have 21mm socket for the torque wrench. You can do this!

Kingmoe82 07-11-2019 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0 (Post 25341317)
Bottom line shop is wrong.

If I can suggest, also take the time to search and review prior threads on this board about the brakes. Otherwise you risk well intentioned but somewhat random answers. There is better information in historical threads but you have to spend some time to get up to speed. For each poster on this thread with questions, please also be specific about exactly which motor D4 you have. The thread starts with an S8, but now is unclear with newest reply/question. Also be more specific with miles on car, symptoms, any measured wear on rotors or pads that is available, etc.

Meantime variously:

S8 front rotor size is not 4.0T A8 size. It's larger at 400mm. That also makes the FCP site flat out wrong when you look at it (the S8 reference), which is unfortunate. That's a clue immediately to step away from keyboard and use the old fashioned phone to an 800 number to confirm fitment, preferably by VIN. Pretty much every motor has its own front rotor size on D4's, at least for the USA ones. The on line dealer information is sometimes confused too--due to some lame third party info they all use since Audi thinks its parts diagrams are crown jewel valuable for on line use. Net, better to do it by VIN and phone to be sure if you are not specifically familiar with your car's rotor sizing.

Even in the 380mm size for 4.0T A8, the rotors are over $100 less per set than the Zimmerman's from audiusaparts.com (Audi dealer in Portland OR area) and free ship and no tax. FCP does have the replacement guaranty. Thus, don't assume aftermarket is cheaper than dealer if you source it right.

Zimmerman apparently has the 380mm size. Realize though these probably come from the same supplier Audi uses; the front design is patented and among the reasons sourcing of true third party rotors is hard.

In the patent is why the shop is wrong--for the fronts. These are fairly trick quasi two piece rotors--in any of the front fitment sizes IIRC, but definitely the 380's and 400's. The rings are held by permanent axial pins. You don't machine those using standard equipment since pressure from one side will push the ring to the side at its mount points. Honestly for a shop that supposedly does only Audi, this has been known for the better part of ten years from when the rotors first showed up on vehicles like prior M5 and M6 and also R8 and even old C5 RS6. Now common on all the performance Audis. But if they see mostly A4's and Q5's and such, those are the commodity cast iron front set ups that are hardly different than a bigger motor Golf. To be fair, a lot of these later performance designs are now just coming off warranty and getting to miles where brake work is getting common; the RS4 and 5 were the first places they were seen in some volume. The design and weight savings are also why using a typical cast iron rotor in front would be a step down, even if you could find them--more unsprung rotation weight on an already porky vehicle and suspension set up.

Rule of thumb is Audis often go two pad changes per set of rotors. Not 100%, but decent rule of thumb. Wear measurements are the real answer here.

S8 front brakes also use pad to piston stick on dampeners in the nice Brembo set up that (may) help noise reduction. Search on prior posts. Pricy ($200+ for set). No known third party supplier. Some try to re use to save money. A8's use simpler design typical volume production semi floating calipers and then don't have those stick on dampeners.

Yes, Audi D4's use front wear sensors. If not yet triggered, can in theory be carefully removed and reused. In practice I think they often get broken in trying. Available from third party suppliers for (a lot) less than dealer OE.

FWIW, I use EBD Red pads typically, which are likewise lower dust and quiet. Sounds like Akebono now has theirs available too. But I don't have any noise issues on my S8 brakes with OE pads either so far. EBC's come with a break in compound on pad that helps bedding. Critical any time there is a pad change from one brand of ceramic to another to do the appropriate rotor prep or have that sort of bedding compound. One of the ways the squeals and noises arise if ceramic choices are mixed over time.

Net, get more info to get up to speed here. Provide more info on car situation and spec. And short version, if pads in good shape, first just try rebedding. Next, I would try a pad swap if rotor wear is in spec. At same time deglazing rotors (while stil mounted on car) might help. Typical sandpaper stuff...search....

Thank You, awesome write-up, I really appreciate that information!!