A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pads/Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhillyVance
Menlo Park is thee guru here. You should definitely follow his advice. I have done brakes on my D4 A8L and my D4 S8. They are completely different, the A8L was a lot harder and you needed more tools. The S8 may just be the easiest brakes I have ever changed. The hardest part on the S8 is getting the pads back into the caliper. I did not read Menlo's post, I do not have to, after being on here for 4 years I have yet to see anyone with more complete information. He says alot of shops/websites are wrong and he is always right. It's even to the point that I skip past all other posts and read his. If I post, I will even ask for him to reply. You can go to his profile and see his replies for everything. I suggest this if you have free time and want to know everything about your S8.

I sent you my phone number, throw me a text when you are gonna start and I will make sure I check my phone regularly while you do them. You are going to have a question that needs a quick answer.

Ohh harbor freight has torque wrenches for about 10 bucks last time I checked. Make sure you have 21mm socket for the torque wrench. You can do this!
Will do sir.
This has been a great experience here on this forum since recently joining. Thank you for your information and experiences! I will attempt the job and just replace the rotors, have to price check between Audi and brakeperformace, I've done hundreds of brake jobs in the past, but reading writeup on the s8 made me rethink doing so lol. You've given me confidence again. Thanks
Old 07-12-2019, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I looked everywhere for brakes. I originally wanted an ebc brake and rotor package after racing a camaro on i95 and my passenger side started smoking. I went with the slotted and dimpled rotor because of the warranty. I didn't want to have to buy them again if they warped from aggressive driving. If I didn't drive the car so hard I would have gotten the drilled rotors because I like the look of them. The S8 is a sleeper, you cannot hear it coming and it does not stand out against other makes because of the grey calipers. I put red Rohana rims mainly because I needed a new rim as I got the car used with winter tires.

You are looking for the best deal in a brake package, I strongly suggest you get the drilled rotors with ceramic pads. If I was rich like MP 4.2 I would buy the ceramic rotors and calipers on Ebay. They are off of an R8 plus.

I get that you want the best price, I looked for months and jumped on the performance package when they went on sale. Do not wait too long, just the math alone you are replacing rotors and pads for about 150 a wheel. I run them hard and so far I am happy with them. You find another company, you should make a new thread and ask if anyone with an S8 has them and if they like them. I think I ordered them on a Monday and they were at my house the following Wednesday so you have to figure that into the equation.

My point here is I am not rich like alot of S8 owners, I had to shop for a good deal, a lot of things I like, other people do not like, for instance I was tire shamed on here. I bought Lexani LX twenty tires from walmart for 150 a peice I think. P-ZERO's for 400 a peice was a hard pill to swallow, I thought that if I liked them I win, if not I would sell them and get a prielli or something similar. When I tell you that I was tire shamed for this, it's an understatement. These people made me feel like I should sell my car because of the tires I chose. I still like my tires and a year later, I only had one incident where I thought a p-Zero might perform differently.

I also bought Kuhmo tires way back before anyone heard of them. Alot of times someone will develop a tire pattern and sell it to multiple companies to produce. My sister is snob who wouldn't be caught dead at a Walmart, so maybe where I ordered them from online rubbed some people the wrong way. Good luck!
The following 3 users liked this post by PhillyVance:
Kingmoe82 (07-12-2019), NotoriousGLU (02-24-2020), the_duke (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PhillyVance, were those OE/OEM replacements or aftermarket replacement. The price difference on the fronts is shocking.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So from everything i read, there are still no aftermarket 380mm rotors, except for maybe a zimmerman product (thats not really any cheaper)? My gosh this car is soooo annoying.
The following users liked this post:
Kingmoe82 (02-23-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

just confirmed with the dealer i have the dreaded 380mm front rotors...ugh.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RockAuto

@HBA8 I would go on RockAuto and get PowerStop brake pads front and rear Z26 Street Warrior; Carbon-Fiber Ceramic, rear rotors are from PowerStop Extreme Performance Drilled and Slotted, I would also buy new brake pad wear sensors. All of those come up to $365 add shipping and tax and you are looking at about $390. I think that's very reasonable price for all the corners pads and sensors and rear rotors. When it comes to new front rotors you will have to go with Audi part for that I would advise genuineaudiparts.com it is long standing genuine Audi Parts online store. Their price per one is $259.60 still better than stealership.

@PhillyVance I understand your pain man. This forum is full of some snobs that will tell you it is impossible to outrun new M3 to shame you for type of tires you are buying lol. It is funny how much of a markup "rich" americans can pay for OEM parts and for believing it is so expensive to service Audis LMAO. I personally grow up in Europe where aftermarket replacements are just normal occurrence, especially in Eastern Europe. Genuine Audi parts are as cheap as they get in Europe..... Chinese tires are dime and dozen and nobody is complaining or shaming. I applaud you for looking for other avenues to maintain the car save money and enjoy the ride.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks bud. They dont have the powerstop z26 for the fronts on rock, so i just ordered the cenric (50015460). I'll have to bite the bullet and get the audi rotors. just annoying that there's no nice looking drilled/slotted version of them! yes...admittedly i just like the drilled/slotted look lol
Old 02-24-2020, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Centric is a good brand as well. I am happy I was able to help out a bit.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks brother. Love this forum...hating this car at the moment though, lol
The following users liked this post:
NotoriousGLU (02-24-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had to get out of my S8 maintenance was too much to handle for me. Loved V10 and didn't mind paying for a gas. But all other issues were just too much. I understand your pain.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads/Rotors?