A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake and rotors suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 12:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake and rotors suggestions

Hi everyone. Im new to the forum... tons of useful information here. Trying to get brakes and rotors (front and rear sets) for my 2012 A8L D4 4.2L. Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-18-2019, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A8L brakes

I just bought a set of "Power Stop" slotted rotors and ceramic pads on Amazon.com. Right now a vendor has a pair for 168 bucks (3 LEFT). They are very good and inexpensive. There are
several vendors up there with different pricing for the same set. I'm not sure though that what's advertised for 168 bucks will fit your car. My "L" is a 09 and I paid $198 for mine Amazon prime,
free shipping but Fl. state tax added.

Antonini
Old 05-18-2019, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Antonini
I just bought a set of "Power Stop" slotted rotors and ceramic pads on Amazon.com. Right now a vendor has a pair for 168 bucks (3 LEFT). They are very good and inexpensive. There are
several vendors up there with different pricing for the same set. I'm not sure though that what's advertised for 168 bucks will fit your car. My "L" is a 09 and I paid $198 for mine Amazon prime,
free shipping but Fl. state tax added.

Antonini
Your 2009 is a d3
it won’t work for the OP d4

OP: pls do a search
Old 05-18-2019, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default A8L Brakes

Thank you for the info. I've only had my 09 for a couple of weeks and still getting accustomed to the new alphabet soup. Wondered which "D" number mine was.
Was looking for the oil filter and watched the wrong video of an earlier model year with the filter under the air cleaner box. What a surprise to learn its now on top
in the rear under the plastic cover with the 3 Audi rings on it.

I would like to know, however, where the camshaft position sensors are located. There is a lot of info on the internet but not all of it is clearly labeled as to which
model year they're referring to - ergo the mistake I made with the oil filter location. Its a learning process. The car is a delight to drive, silky smooth and powerful.

Antonini
Old 05-18-2019, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Cam Position sensors

Armed with a photo of what they look like, I found the 4 cam position sensors today. On my A8L, there are two on each cylinder bank
on the inboard and outboard side of the valve covers towards the rear of the engine. Not hard to remove if I need to check them. I was
told by an old guru today that a good early warning sign, aside from trouble codes is to remove them and look at the part that is inside the
engine checking them to see if there are any metal shavings on them. I also managed to remove the air cleaner box to check the air
cleaner and was relieved to find the hold down screws are captive on the lid. Of course all you guys know that already. I'll get there
eventually.

Antonino
Old 05-19-2019, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Antonini
Armed with a photo of what they look like, I found the 4 cam position sensors today. On my A8L, there are two on each cylinder bank
on the inboard and outboard side of the valve covers towards the rear of the engine. Not hard to remove if I need to check them. I was
told by an old guru today that a good early warning sign, aside from trouble codes is to remove them and look at the part that is inside the
engine checking them to see if there are any metal shavings on them. I also managed to remove the air cleaner box to check the air
cleaner and was relieved to find the hold down screws are captive on the lid. Of course all you guys know that already. I'll get there
eventually.

Antonino
The D3 thread is supposed to have lots of info, go there for advice.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you I will. Great forum.