A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build Time for New A8?

Old 06-10-2011, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build Time for New A8?

For those in the U.S. who have ordered their A8 from the factory, how long did it take to arrive at port after you placed your order?

I'm talking myself into ordering one, but I want to know what kind of realistic wait time I should expect.

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

It depends on how you catch a dealer's allocation in the production pipeline.

I got my 1st A8 (2006MY)in a relatively short time, when I caught an allocation slot already in the pipeline that was close to being closed for production, but could be changed to my specs---that was a mid-July order that arrived at the dealer in late August...about a 6-week time frame.

My '08MY was ordered again in mid-July and didn't arrive until mid-October---a 3-month window. The D4 order was placed in early November to hold a place as one of my dealer's 1st Quarter '11 builds scheduled to arrive in March. Car went into production on Jan 30th, placed on ship Feb 17th and arrived at port 1st week in March, if I recall correctly. So from early order to port arrival was close to 4 months---but that's not typical, since it was essentially a pre-order.

I'd suppose 3-months would be the longest wait (typically), but depending on how you catch a slot in the allocation pipeline, it could be shorter.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was told 4 months for my order that I put in recently. The reason seems to be the switch to MY2012. 2-3 months have been more common in the past when I did not order as they switched to a new MY. I think it takes less than a month usually to get a car built by Audi. The longer wait is because of the shipping.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

By the way, I'm sure you can get MY2011 A8s at a significant discount at this point. If you can live without google and hot-spot connection, it might be a great time to pick one up off the lot.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

I wouldn't mind a MY2011, however it is very difficult to find a NWB in blue, which is the color I want. I'd also prefer the Sport Package, but I could live without if cost saving was significant. I had a blue D3 and it was my favorite.

I've found a couple of Blue 2011s, but they are not loaded, often missing the LEDs, or even Convenience Package. I'm going to give it another few weeks and if I don't find a 2011 I like, I'm going to order.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good luck and let me know what you end up with.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BigGrasshopper
I wouldn't mind a MY2011, however it is very difficult to find a NWB in blue, which is the color I want. I'd also prefer the Sport Package, but I could live without if cost saving was significant. I had a blue D3 and it was my favorite.

I've found a couple of Blue 2011s, but they are not loaded, often missing the LEDs, or even Convenience Package. I'm going to give it another few weeks and if I don't find a 2011 I like, I'm going to order.
Not blue, but this Silver (or Gray?) Sport Package car had been at my dealer for several weeks; perhaps still there. Was well optioned, if I recall correctly.
Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2011, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Derf, that is a gorgeous car. I've seen that color in person, and just amazing in bright sunlight. That Quartz Gray is my second favorite on this model. I would appreciate it if you could tell me the who the dealer is. Perhaps I'll contact them for the specs on that one. Thank you.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BigGrasshopper
Derf, that is a gorgeous car. I've seen that color in person, and just amazing in bright sunlight. That Quartz Gray is my second favorite on this model. I would appreciate it if you could tell me the who the dealer is. Perhaps I'll contact them for the specs on that one. Thank you.
Big G-

Just sent you a PM re: above.

Derf
Old 06-15-2011, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Standard a8 with a sport package. Great looking wheels.

I wish there were more wheel options for the L. They're a bit boring for a larger car

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Build Time for New A8?