A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C&D: Audi A8 vs Jaguar XJL vs BMW 750Li (::SPOILERS::)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 07:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C&D: Audi A8 vs Jaguar XJL vs BMW 750Li (::SPOILERS::)

Sorry, I don't have scans of the article yet....

1.) A8 - best handling, best interior/tech, most efficient
2.) Jag - much faster than the others in a straight line, nice interior, though a little behind on the electronics
3.) BMW - kinda soft, not a driver's car, most expensive
Old 04-05-2011, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by EKaru
Sorry, I don't have scans of the article yet....

1.) A8 - best handling, best interior/tech, most efficient
2.) Jag - much faster than the others in a straight line, nice interior, though a little behind on the electronics
3.) BMW - kinda soft, not a driver's car, most expensive
Could not have said (in bullet point terms) better. Re: #2: Even with the 8 speed, the 4.2 will just not get away from that initial hesitation without using the 's'mode and the shift delay points w/ higher rpm. That explains my 'real world' mpg far less than any official or Audi propaganda numbers: higher RPM = more fuel expenditure. How do we put a price on fun? My son in law just bought a fully loaded Lamborghini, a completely useless vehicle other than to putting a smile on your face while driving.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've driven all 3 (and own an 09 BMW 750i)

I agree with #1 & #2, but not with the conclusion on the Bimmer as to it being soft and not a driver's car. Perhaps it is slightly soft in City driving, but I push it hard and it responds in true BMW form, albeit as a heavier car. It's handling is predictable and corners very nicely. It also has great throttle response when is "S" mode - very similar to a 650i.

I know the A8 has better skidpad numbers, so I'm not suggesting the BMW is superior.

But to make the bold statement that it is not a driver's car, i'd have to say that there must be a bias in the article (probably factoring in price). To me, the A8 vs 750 comparison is like comparing a Sports Illustrated model to a Victoria Secret's model and then asserting that one of the two is ugly.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I am somewhat amazed and disappointed by the cool-ish comments in this car review labeling the A8's styling as dull or boring. I do not own one (I have a 2010 A6) but have seen several of them up close where I live. I think the car is stunning in person - a piece of sculpture and very exciting to look at. Not "bling" exciting, but the same excitement one gets when seeing a Rolls Royce in the flesh (metal). The other two cars in the comparison are IMHO far less dramatic and classy looking in person.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Old 04-07-2011, 06:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Let's compare the curb weight of the F10 550i to the cars in this comparison... BMW's own 7-series is dimensionally a much larger car than the 550i, but only weighs only 185 lbs more. The Audi has AWD, but is still lighter than the RWD 550i. The LWB Jag weighs 147 lbs less than a 550i...

LWB AWD Audi A8L DIMENSIONS
Wheelbase: 122.9 in Length: 207.4 in
Width: 76.7 in Height: 57.9 in
Curb Weight: 4,350 lbs

LWB Jaguar XJL Supercharged
Wheelbase: 124.3 in Length: 206.6 in
Width: 74.6 in Height: 57.0in
Curb Weight: 4,270 lbs

LWB RWD 750Li DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 126.4 in Length: 205.3 in
Width: 74.9 in Height: 58.3 in
Curb Weight: 4,602 lbs

RWD 550i DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 116.9 in Length: 193.1 in
Width: 73.2 in Height: 57.6 in
Curb weight: 4,417 lbs
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test
Old 04-08-2011, 01:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

BMW has lost its way. It is living on a powerful Brand instead of making great cars, I used to be a regular customer, no more interest.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by clembo
BMW has lost its way. It is living on a powerful Brand instead of making great cars, I used to be a regular customer, no more interest.
Same here... They just became plain rubbish on all accounts!
Old 04-08-2011, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

The BMW is well out of it's depth now, they have spent all the time and resources getting the M3 right that cars like the 7 series have lose ground to it's competitors and it shows. It's heavy, slow and consumes way too much fuel to win favour with anyone. Next to either the Audi or Jag and you wouldn't EVER consider it, rightly so because these two offer the best compromise between S-class luxury and sportscar ability without sacrificing too much to get such a fine balance.

Surprised they didn't place the XJL closer to the A8L. If anything I would prefer the Jaguar over the A8, it's better looking, everyone prefers it's front and side profile to any other in this sector and though not everyone likes the rear it'w way different from all others and is a talking point that gets it noticed in the crowd, it's got a more unique and exciting interior, it's B&W sound system is to die for and it's by far to most fun to drive.

Though it doesn't come in an AWD version yet, used to word 'yet' because it is coming soon.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Jag's sleek side profile doesn't help with back seat space which is a no-no for this class! You think Audi and other Germans are so stupid that they can't produce such thing?! There is a thing called ''functionality''.
If you seek for the ''sleek'' - go with A7! Leave a Limo to be just that!

Quick Reply: C&D: Audi A8 vs Jaguar XJL vs BMW 750Li (::SPOILERS::)