A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a/c vent, passenger airflow volume dial

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 05:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c vent, passenger airflow volume dial

If I am not mistaken, the A/C vents are electronically controlled. I'm having an issue where the dial does not do anything on the right-most passenger dash vent.

I think the switch has failed in the closed position, because it is shut and no air is flowing out.

What is really weird is when the car first starts up and blasts the A/C to get the temperature down - there is a ton of air coming out of that vent... but once the temperature settles down, moving that airflow dial does not make any difference.

Has anybody ever had to replace the dial before? I'll run a scan to see if there are any codes being thrown, but it seems like the motor that opens the duct works (the ECU can open it at start-up), but the signal out from the airflow volume dial is dead.

-Rob
Old 06-28-2017, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

VCDS scan typically tells you which door/actuator or other component is acting up.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

I noticed this same problem in the same vent the other day, changing the dial made no difference, air would not flow from that vent. Checked it today and it was working fine. Not sure what gives.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

If I remember correctly, it is temperature dependent as to whether airflow comes out of a vent as a function of 4 zone climate control. The vent flow volume has to be adjusted while air is blowing out but if the temperature in that particular zone is in concert with the setting, there may not be any conditioned air flow either cold or warm. Try resetting the temp setting and see what happens.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pardz_late
If I am not mistaken, the A/C vents are electronically controlled. I'm having an issue where the dial does not do anything on the right-most passenger dash vent.

I think the switch has failed in the closed position, because it is shut and no air is flowing out.

What is really weird is when the car first starts up and blasts the A/C to get the temperature down - there is a ton of air coming out of that vent... but once the temperature settles down, moving that airflow dial does not make any difference.

Has anybody ever had to replace the dial before? I'll run a scan to see if there are any codes being thrown, but it seems like the motor that opens the duct works (the ECU can open it at start-up), but the signal out from the airflow volume dial is dead.

-Rob
It's funny you posted this, as I have the same exact issue with the passenger main vent near the door.

It has a mind of its own... I tried resetting the temp and dail several times but to no avail.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do you have the AC set to AUTO have a look at what its set to I had trouble with my passenger side vent blowing less that the drivers side, but in AUTO it was set to 2 on the passenger side and 4 on the drivers once the temp the settled, in the MMI you can set the AUTO levels for each side to balance out.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Panerai197
Do you have the AC set to AUTO have a look at what its set to I had trouble with my passenger side vent blowing less that the drivers side, but in AUTO it was set to 2 on the passenger side and 4 on the drivers once the temp the settled, in the MMI you can set the AUTO levels for each side to balance out.

I tried individually setting the blower fan speed and air flow direction with no avail... Still acting as described.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default dropped off

I dropped mine off at the dealer for the turbo coolant seal recall thing... I'll post back what they do to fix it (if they don't tell me i am crazy)

Originally Posted by Silver_Solid
I tried individually setting the blower fan speed and air flow direction with no avail... Still acting as described.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pardz_late
I dropped mine off at the dealer for the turbo coolant seal recall thing... I'll post back what they do to fix it (if they don't tell me i am crazy)
Please do share the outcomes, thanks!
Old 07-10-2017, 02:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm also interested. I'm a new 2013 A8L owner, 1 month in and have the same problem. Any more diagnoses or steps I can try to isolate the problem? No VCDS yet

Quick Reply: a/c vent, passenger airflow volume dial