A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone identify this sound in my S8??

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone identify this sound in my S8??

I have a noise coming from what sounds like my passenger tweeter, side mirror, or something like that. Sounds like a servo trying to work or something. I have the B&O sound system. It's been there since I bought the car 7 months ago. Here is a link to a youtube vid I posted so I could send it to the dealer for their thoughts. They didn't know what it was. You can hear the sound I'm referring to at 5 seconds, 27, 32, 44, 48, 57 seconds into the video. If anyone has any ideas, or has experienced the same, please let me know.

Paul
Old 11-02-2013, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are so many motors in the interior of this car, hunting the sound down could be a bit of a task. My initial thought is that it sounds like a blend-door motor in the HVAC system. Do you have auto-recirculation on? If so, is it set to sensitive?

If you do find the culprit, I'd be very curious to know.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have noticed the same sound in my 2013 A8L 4.0 - usually 30-45 seconds after opening the sunroof.

I have never been able to figure out what it was (and had it on my punch list to ask the dealer during the first oil change). Until this moment.

Tuesday's comment about a recirculating air actuator motor seems to make sense in my experience, as opening the roof would probably change the HVAC settings...

But my sound is EXACTLY like yours, Peebs.

Would love to hear other thoughts...

Adam
Old 11-03-2013, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Are you sure it's from the door. Sounds like it's one of the seat motors trying to run.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by adamcb
I have noticed the same sound in my 2013 A8L 4.0 - usually 30-45 seconds after opening the sunroof.

I have never been able to figure out what it was (and had it on my punch list to ask the dealer during the first oil change). Until this moment.

Tuesday's comment about a recirculating air actuator motor seems to make sense in my experience, as opening the roof would probably change the HVAC settings...

But my sound is EXACTLY like yours, Peebs.

Would love to hear other thoughts...

Adam

I agree - that sounds like a HVAC air door that is stuck and the actuator is trying to adjust it without success - have you tried pushing the "recirculate cabin air" button to see if it makes a similar noise with all of the windows closed? - it might be that there is an automatic adjustment of the HVAC doors when a side window or the sunroof is opened (or closed) - it could be that the air filtration system for the cabin is also effected by any window in motion - it probably would block off fresh air if any window or sunroof was open to avoid contamination of filters?
Old 11-03-2013, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the replies. My recirculate isn't on, but I am taking it to the dealer in a few weeks for my 5k service. I will post once I learn. Mine does not correlate to my sunroof or windows being opened. I thought it was the motor for the tweeter, but they replaced that months ago, and it didn't solve the issue. Stay tuned.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Actually, It sounds like the Hydra 6 advanced weaponry from Olympus has Fallen.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same issue in my car. I also felt like it was some sort of servo, and I did a similar drive and listen. The sound in my S8 is exactly the same, and I am grateful that I am not crazy or hearing things. Since its pretty silent in the car, its definitely noticeable. Do you mind checking to see if you still hear the sound if the radio/MMI is off. I noticed that when the stereo is on mute or the MMI is off, I dont hear it, but this may be because I dont listen for a long enough time.

Thanks for posting, and if you find a culprit, please post, as I would love to remedy it.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I will check that out RUF. It's not there all the time, but next time I hear it, I will give that a shot to see what happens. It's good to know that I'm not alone on it though. The biggest challenge is going to be having the sound happen while it's at the dealer. If I had a nickel for every time a dealer told me they couldn't replicate an issue...I'd be a wealthy man. I thought the video would help, but the dealer couldn't use that for any diagnosis...or didn't want to. Course I didn't mention the Hydra 6 advanced weaponry to my dealer...that might have done the trick.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Peebs1
I will check that out RUF. It's not there all the time, but next time I hear it, I will give that a shot to see what happens. It's good to know that I'm not alone on it though. The biggest challenge is going to be having the sound happen while it's at the dealer. If I had a nickel for every time a dealer told me they couldn't replicate an issue...I'd be a wealthy man. I thought the video would help, but the dealer couldn't use that for any diagnosis...or didn't want to. Course I didn't mention the Hydra 6 advanced weaponry to my dealer...that might have done the trick.

LOL

Quick Reply: Can anyone identify this sound in my S8??