A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone identify this sound in my S8??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cal333
I agree - that sounds like a HVAC air door that is stuck and the actuator is trying to adjust it without success - have you tried pushing the "recirculate cabin air" button to see if it makes a similar noise with all of the windows closed? - it might be that there is an automatic adjustment of the HVAC doors when a side window or the sunroof is opened (or closed) - it could be that the air filtration system for the cabin is also effected by any window in motion - it probably would block off fresh air if any window or sunroof was open to avoid contamination of filters?
I did play around with the recirculate button tonight, and that did not replicate the sound. Had all kinds of combinations of windows and sunroof open, closed, driving, not driving, A/C on/off, vents open/closed...couldn't replicate the sound.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did some extended testing today, and was able to replicate it. What triggered it was having my sunroof open. I'm perplexed that it didn't trigger it the last couple of times I tested, but this isn't my area of expertise...so who knows. Once the sound started, I tried the following to see if that would resolve it; 1) recirculate button - did not solve 2) turned off radio command unit entirely - did not solve 3) opened side windows - did not solve 4) closed sunroof...solved!

Sounds like Tuesday and Cal were right on. If anyone else wants to give it a shot to see if that triggers the sound on your car as well, I'd be interested to hear.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Peebs1
What triggered it was having my sunroof open.
That was my guess too, but wasn't sure.
I know there was a campaign on the sunroof deflector - may want to check with your dealer on it.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think its the wind deflector on the sun roof. It lowers and raises to prevent air from drafting into the cabin based on speed. Has it on the D3
Old 11-06-2013, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 06A8
I think its the wind deflector on the sun roof. It lowers and raises to prevent air from drafting into the cabin based on speed. Has it on the D3
I'll have to check this out. I believe the wind deflector is spring loaded and comes up fully upon when the sun roof is opened. At least on my car I believe this, never really took the time to watch and see.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Lazydog
I believe the wind deflector is spring loaded and comes up fully upon when the sun roof is opened.
The deflector has springs on both sides, but also has a motor and control module located above the interior lamps.
You can feel it adjust if you gently place your hand on top of the deflector while driving.

A sunroof adaption may help:
- Turn on vehicle, close doors, close sunroof
- Pull and hold sunroof switch for 15 seconds
- Roof will lift, open, then close
- Keep switch held during adaption

Location of deflector motor:
Name:  Deflector_Motor_zps867f6ded.png
Views: 89
Size:  58.8 KB
Old 11-06-2013, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by jakematic
The deflector has springs on both sides, but also has a motor and control module located above the interior lamps.
You can feel it adjust if you gently place your hand on top of the deflector while driving.

A sunroof adaption may help:
- Turn on vehicle, close doors, close sunroof
- Pull and hold sunroof switch for 15 seconds
- Roof will lift, open, then close
- Keep switch held during adaption

Location of deflector motor:

Performed sunroof adaption as described above. Went through the tilt/open/close sequence. Did not alleviate noise for me.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Jakematic, that would completely explain the sound in my A8 - as it happens when I open the sunroof and begin to drive. I am not home for a few days but will check as soon as I am.

And you can confirm that this is on the D4?

The funny thing is Peebs that it sounds exactly like your recording...

Thanks again for the diagnosis...

Adam
Old 11-06-2013, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by adamcb
And you can confirm that this is on the D4?
Yes.
The picture posted earlier is from the 2012 erWin manual section on how to R&R the sunroof components.

Mine adjusts but is essentially inaudible compared to the OP's video.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Peebs1, did you ever find out what that noise was. I have a 13 S8, and have the same issue. The car is at the dealer and of course they cant replicate it. I send them a link to your video which totally catches the noise perfectly. Thanks for that.

Quick Reply: Can anyone identify this sound in my S8??